Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Florida
644 posts, read 1,483,901 times
Reputation: 352

Advertisements

What area of the country is it in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2011, 09:47 AM
 
67 posts, read 159,380 times
Reputation: 59
We made the move down here 1 year ago after vacationing for many years on the keys in Sarasota County. To our dismay and disappointment we have found the area to be a VERY hard place to interact with others. We came from a much larger and MUCH friendlier community in Colorado. I don't know if it is the economy down here or what but it seems the folks of this area are closed up and scared of everyone. I am someone that has a smile and friendly greeting for anyone that passes me public (like in Colorado) but here if you do that most will look at you with wonder and immediately look to the floor. My children have seen attrocities at their school they have never seen and even though I tell them "it is a learning experience" I still wish it was something I didn't provide them with. My husband and I have decided to move away as quickly as possible before we become a typical Sarasotian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Sarasota, FL
1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
Reputation: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccright View Post
We made the move down here 1 year ago after vacationing for many years on the keys in Sarasota County. To our dismay and disappointment we have found the area to be a VERY hard place to interact with others. We came from a much larger and MUCH friendlier community in Colorado. I don't know if it is the economy down here or what but it seems the folks of this area are closed up and scared of everyone. I am someone that has a smile and friendly greeting for anyone that passes me public (like in Colorado) but here if you do that most will look at you with wonder and immediately look to the floor. My children have seen attrocities at their school they have never seen and even though I tell them "it is a learning experience" I still wish it was something I didn't provide them with. My husband and I have decided to move away as quickly as possible before we become a typical Sarasotian.
It just goes to show it is all relative. Coming from Baltimore, everyone here seems like they drank the purple Kool-Aid.

Colorado must be a very friendly place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 AM
 
67 posts, read 159,380 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
It just goes to show it is all relative. Coming from Baltimore, everyone here seems like they drank the purple Kool-Aid.

Colorado must be a very friendly place.
I Think you are SO right. We did have the opportunity this last summer to drive up the east coast to Maine and stayed a few places on the way and found the same demeanour all the way up. Very closed off. It's really too bad too because I love the beauty of the east with all it's brilliant greens and architcture. But I think the west is much friendlier simply because there is not as many ppl and everyone has their space and looking for ppl to interact with. Or maybe just because everyone is stoned in CO. lol J/K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 11:54 AM
 
17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Reputation: 24287
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccright View Post
I Think you are SO right. We did have the opportunity this last summer to drive up the east coast to Maine and stayed a few places on the way and found the same demeanour all the way up. Very closed off. It's really too bad too because I love the beauty of the east with all it's brilliant greens and architcture. But I think the west is much friendlier simply because there is not as many ppl and everyone has their space and looking for ppl to interact with. Or maybe just because everyone is stoned in CO. lol J/K
It might just be the community where you live, too. We live up here in north Sarasota (Whitfield) and it's the FRIENDLIEST place I have ever lived. We have great neighbors, everyone looks out for each other, and everyone seems very happy here. If it were any friendlier and happier it would be downright scary - lol!

Good luck to you, sorry your experience has been less than positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, FL
1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
Reputation: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccright View Post
I Think you are SO right. We did have the opportunity this last summer to drive up the east coast to Maine and stayed a few places on the way and found the same demeanour all the way up. Very closed off. It's really too bad too because I love the beauty of the east with all it's brilliant greens and architcture. But I think the west is much friendlier simply because there is not as many ppl and everyone has their space and looking for ppl to interact with. Or maybe just because everyone is stoned in CO. lol J/K
Excellent, reasonable post.

God how I miss these.

Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:28 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top