Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 06:10 PM

8 posts, read 15,152 times

Advertisements

first of all , i am on food stamps i do have steady income i work from home on computer and yes ive researched places for rent wich i can afford 700 for a 2 bedroom i have 2 freinds that live in sarasota, and no i would not be bringing a moving van there ae places there that help single moms with free furniture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearss77 View Post
first of all , i am on food stamps i do have steady income i work from home on computer and yes ive researched places for rent wich i can afford 700 for a 2 bedroom i have 2 freinds that live in sarasota, and no i would not be bringing a moving van there ae places there that help single moms with free furniture
You will not find a two bedroom in Sarasota for $700 that is a decent place to raise kids and forget about subsidized housing. People who already live here are in line for that. Also, your food stamps will not transfer. It will take you time to get settled in Florida and to get any type of assistance. No offense but we would rather not subsidize your life.

Forget finding somewhere that gives free furniture to single moms. Down here second hand furniture is big business. Unless you want to drive the streets and look for furniture, you will be paying.

Sarasota is not a cheap town. Stay in North Carolina. I cannot think of anywhere in NC with the exception of MAYBE downtown Asheville that is as expensive as Sarasota.

I don't think you quite have a realistic idea of Sarasota. Try getting a better job in NC, save your money, get off the food stamps, then revisit the idea of moving to Sarasota.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 AM

509 posts, read 907,458 times
There are places that give away furniture to the needy, but they give the furniture that didn't sell in store. Goodwill does this, I know that, but since it's stuff that they could not sell, it really is the bottom of the barrel, I'm afraid. It only takes a short time to start food stamps in a new state, just a matter of days, but it is true about the rent, my daughter and her husband live in Bradenton, they have a 2 bedroom that they pay in the 700 range, it's nice, and in a good neighborhood, but they were lucky, that isn't the average. They both work and do not get foodstamps, or any of that, but it is harder here for people who are living paycheck to paycheck, bearss77, there aren't as many resources for people when they're broke as there are in NC, and WAY more people ahead of you waiting for what there is. I lived in NC last year, so I know. I would recommend coming down and visiting your friend before moving to see first hand what you're getting into. Come see what the neighborhoods you can afford are like, how much your friend will help you, everything. If a visit is too expensive, you're probably to up against it to live here. It can be done, but it's not easy.
Good luck.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:43 AM

509 posts, read 907,458 times
I want to mention one more thing, people in NC, perhaps it's a southern thing, are way more friendly, and helpful than they are here in Florida. In NC, strangers will help you out, don't expect that here. People are friendly up to a point, more like the way it is in the north. A visit will give you an idea of what I mean.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:11 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
I want to mention one more thing, people in NC, perhaps it's a southern thing, are way more friendly, and helpful than they are here in Florida. In NC, strangers will help you out, don't expect that here. People are friendly up to a point, more like the way it is in the north. A visit will give you an idea of what I mean.
I don't think people here are less friendly at all; I think people here are just getting tired of people moving here and expecting their lifestyle to be subsidized while most of us have to work. Interestingly, we used to have a second home in Asheville, NC with the idea we might relocate there in the future; I found it to be very hostile toward transplants - Floridians in particular. Decided to stay here in Florida, best decision we ever made.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearss77 View Post
Putting aside my feelings about what you are saying, I'd like to give you some sincere advice:

Maybe the time and energy you are putting into moving could be better spent trying to find a way to get off welfare. I mean, no offense, but would this not be a more responsible perspective? Do you have any interest in acting responsibly?

This is not a rhetorical question. there are MANY people who have no interest in acting responsibly. I am curious to know if you are one of them.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
This type of situation continually pi$$es me off. My wife and I, mid-30s, have worked hard in life to get here to FL to raise our son away from the cold north. Rather than partying and popping out babies, we spent our 20s going to college WHILE working FULL TIME jobs. We paid off debt. We thankfully have never had to be on public assistance. We saved and saved, took a slight loss on the sale of our house up north, all to make the move here to FL. Meanwhile, people with no responsibility continually move here with no money and end up on assistance, further dragging our state economy down. Sunshine WON'T help your financial problems!!!!
Sorry if this is not politically correct or if it offends anyone. I don't care. I'm not known for speaking with much of a filter. Stay on welfare in your current state please!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:23 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
This type of situation continually pi$$es me off. My wife and I, mid-30s, have worked hard in life to get here to FL to raise our son away from the cold north. Rather than partying and popping out babies, we spent our 20s going to college WHILE working FULL TIME jobs. We paid off debt. We thankfully have never had to be on public assistance. We saved and saved, took a slight loss on the sale of our house up north, all to make the move here to FL. Meanwhile, people with no responsibility continually move here with no money and end up on assistance, further dragging our state economy down. Sunshine WON'T help your financial problems!!!!
Sorry if this is not politically correct or if it offends anyone. I don't care. I'm not known for speaking with much of a filter. Stay on welfare in your current state please!
Reps x 20! People continue to make stupid, irresponsible choices in life because we've become a nation that rewards it.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 AM

23 posts, read 56,188 times
I am amazed that the election turned out as it did given the responses seen here about being off welfare and being responsible. What the heck happened? lol

Sorry, I digress. Sarasota is a great place, great place for a family. Not a great place if on assistance as prices here normally higher. Perhaps Bradenton or North Port would offer you better opportunity to get ahead if you are moving forward with plans to relocate with your kids.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:06 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,374,769 times
Do you think it's FREE to live in North Port? Sorry but North Port gets a bum rap and it is a VERY nice community. We already have our share of homeless people and hungry children so please don't send us anymore either ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area