Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM

509 posts, read 907,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't think people here are less friendly at all; I think people here are just getting tired of people moving here and expecting their lifestyle to be subsidized while most of us have to work. Interestingly, we used to have a second home in Asheville, NC with the idea we might relocate there in the future; I found it to be very hostile toward transplants - Floridians in particular. Decided to stay here in Florida, best decision we ever made.
I'm not speaking about how people feel about welfare, I'm speaking about how strangers treat you, and can only attest to my experiences. I lived in the Charlotte, NC area last year, and found a big difference. Not that people here are not friendly in their own way, but I find people here to be similar to what I experienced in the north. Perhaps due to the transplants. If she expects the experience to be the same, she will be disappointed.

Last edited by Frida7; 11-29-2012 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:05 PM

Op doesn't divulge much, but when looking at the op's posts, I can't help but think perhaps she is developmentally disabled. I could be wrong, but judging by her writing...

Old 11-29-2012, 01:33 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
It's just plain ridiculous, disabled or not, to expect to move to FL or any other state "because I've always wanted to" with no money, and expect handouts from day one (free furniture, subsidized housing, food stamps, etc...). And to do so with a child is just disgusting. The only thing you're teaching your child is dependence on the system. The system that my hard-earned tax dollars supports. A system that is SO abused. A system that our politicians are too afraid to reform due to public outcry (from those that rely on this system!)

Old 11-29-2012, 02:01 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,994 times
Geesh, tried to give you rep points HH but it won't let me. I need to "spread it around".

Old 11-29-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
It's just plain ridiculous, disabled or not, to expect to move to FL or any other state "because I've always wanted to" with no money, and expect handouts from day one (free furniture, subsidized housing, food stamps, etc...). And to do so with a child is just disgusting. The only thing you're teaching your child is dependence on the system. The system that my hard-earned tax dollars supports. A system that is SO abused. A system that our politicians are too afraid to reform due to public outcry (from those that rely on this system!)
Not sure if by mentioning being disabled, you're referring to my suspicion, if so, and it IS just a suspicion on my part, do you understand exactly what developmentally disabled means?

Old 11-29-2012, 02:22 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
Not sure if by mentioning being disabled, you're referring to my suspicion, if so, and it IS just a suspicion on my part, do you understand exactly what developmentally disabled means?
Yes I was, and yes I understand it clearly. Thus my post. Assuming the OP can't make rational decisions by herself, hopefully a friend or family member will step in and stop her.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Yes I was, and yes I understand it clearly. Thus my post. Assuming the OP can't make rational decisions by herself, hopefully a friend or family member will step in and stop her.
Agreed.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:21 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I am still thinking the original post is a joke.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:01 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am still thinking the original post is a joke.
Well, it's certainly been good for a laugh... or make that a head-shaking, disbelieving sort of nervous chuckle

Old 08-09-2015, 04:34 AM

1 posts, read 651 times
Wow I've been wanting to move to Florida and I have a special needs child, I'm not on any type of assistance nor want to be I just can't uproot my child without doing the research and I truly have BEEN I believe it's got it's pro's and con's list just like anywhere else I just like being prepared and not jumping off a cliff first.!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area