Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 11:24 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srq57 View Post
It is not uncommon for older adults to become much less "filtered" as they age.
Yup. Not saying is the case here, but for the elderly you always have to consider neurological decline (not dementia just decline).

Not about racism but, for instance, my dad, in the last few years, has decided that is acceptable to fart in public...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 04:01 AM

1 posts, read 513 times
My husband retired from Delta so we have traveled to almost every state and major city across the US. We have visited Sarasota 3 times and all 3 times, we experienced blatant racism. From a woman questioning my at the time 6 year old daughter about where he arm band was to swim in the hotel pool, to not being serviced when we walked into our $500/night hotel, and the worst experience of them all, is parking in the handicap parking spot (handicap sign clearly visible in the window) and someone puts a note on our car that said “being black is a handicap.. lol”.

The people who live and work in the area don’t want non-whites in the area and they have no problem showing it.

Old 04-09-2022, 07:10 AM

1,107 posts, read 552,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanWalk View Post
My husband retired from Delta so we have traveled to almost every state and major city across the US. We have visited Sarasota 3 times and all 3 times, we experienced blatant racism. From a woman questioning my at the time 6 year old daughter about where he arm band was to swim in the hotel pool, to not being serviced when we walked into our $500/night hotel, and the worst experience of them all, is parking in the handicap parking spot (handicap sign clearly visible in the window) and someone puts a note on our car that said “being black is a handicap.. lol”.

The people who live and work in the area don’t want non-whites in the area and they have no problem showing it.
Lol - Interesting that a "new" C-D member's first post is to reply to a thread that's over a year old. Hello, Sheckie.

Old 04-09-2022, 07:50 AM

402 posts, read 261,559 times
Quote:

SCAM ALERT - FIRST TIME POSTER

This post is likely from Shecky, who has been banned numerous times for inflammatory and racist comments.

He is likely seeking to be trying to keep minorities from coming to Sarasota by claiming we are all blatant racists.

Sarasota welcomes everyone. Don’t be fooled. Is Sarasota perfect? Of course not. The poster is a racist who had a post removed for attacking the ethnicity of a group that includes my wife. But, while he is blatantly racist, Sarasota is not blatantly racist.

PS please note the racial connotation in the user name. He is using the name TanWalk to get people of color to walk away from Sarasota. Sick.

Old 04-09-2022, 09:27 AM

200 posts, read 157,361 times
Quote:

Total BS.

I'm a native. I know Sarasota very well. I've never witnessed blatant racism or antisemitism in Sarasota or Manatee counties. Is the city perfect, well no.

I've seen more overt racism in NYC and Chicago (especially) than most cities in the South, and we own properties in and around Birmingham, Huntsville/Madison, and central TN.

Sorry, I'm not buying it!

Old 04-09-2022, 09:40 AM

113 posts, read 90,081 times
Quote:

In my opinion, this post reflects a true handicap. It's inflammatory and an incitement.

Try using another hand grenade, this is a dud.

I'm laughing at you for sure, and praying at the same time

Old 04-09-2022, 10:09 AM

agreed

Old 04-09-2022, 10:20 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying941 View Post
Is Sarasota perfect? Of course not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronDavidSchultz View Post
Is the city perfect, well no.
I would like to hear more about how Sarasota is not perfect.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-09-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I would like to hear more about how Sarasota is not perfect.
Sarasota is not providing sufficient affordable housing for low and moderate income families. We need housing for more nurses, police and fire personnel, construction workers and restaurant workers.

Builders in LWR and east of 75 have starting prices for $400k at the low end. The average home is now hitting $600k.

1,600 home developments should have 400 affordable homes.

And I should add - how about small single family homes, not 20 home row houses? Do we really need to create second class citizens? Pride of home ownership is important to build a community.

And I will add further - it is the younger and more racially diverse that need the ability to afford to buy and join our community. I have held elected positions in two communities outside of Florida, and in each the community was enriched by greater access.

Last edited by Trying941; 04-09-2022 at 10:50 AM..

Old 04-09-2022, 12:24 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying941 View Post
Sarasota is not providing sufficient affordable housing for low and moderate income families. We need housing for more nurses, police and fire personnel, construction workers and restaurant workers.

Builders in LWR and east of 75 have starting prices for $400k at the low end. The average home is now hitting $600k.

1,600 home developments should have 400 affordable homes.

And I should add - how about small single family homes, not 20 home row houses? Do we really need to create second class citizens? Pride of home ownership is important to build a community.

And I will add further - it is the younger and more racially diverse that need the ability to afford to buy and join our community. I have held elected positions in two communities outside of Florida, and in each the community was enriched by greater access.
Problem is that rich people don't like living next to poor people, and poor people don't have a lot of money for commuting costs.

This is why you can find cheaper property tax bills in NYC than in its suburbs.

It's supposed to be the other way around, the rich people are supposed to live in the city for convenience and the poors live outside the city where it's cheap. Up here it's the reverse, don't know how it is in Sarasota...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area