Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 09:34 AM

124 posts, read 98,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatique View Post
RidgeCrossing - I agree that housing prices are stupid crazy, and your warning about being in a hurry is very wise, especially if someone is making a long term financial commitment. In our case we're willing to "overpay" on a very temporary basis (for a short term furnished rental to see how we like the area.) Then, if we decide to do an annual lease we'd get a bit more shrewd. If we ever decide to own a property again, we'd have a different mindset altogether.
There is no status in "paying too murch hurney" EVEN for a short term stay.

Look, you can "see" if you like the area by visiting downtown Sarasota every damn afternoon from somewhere else that is CHEAPER.

Downtown Sarasota is NOT, nor ever has been uptown Manhattan or the Miracle Mile/even Old Town or the Gaslight District, or even Buckhead lol.....again, I'm a native and native southerner. Downtown Sarasota is wasting its time trying to become some kind of zazouvogue quasi-urban "New Urban" setting, and the prices are stupid simply put for the sparse amenities. It tends to sell itself for something it's not, and will never be given key physical attributes and political bent. Some newcomers may think it's some kind of pedestrian, "dog-walking" exclusive "village". It's no such thing. Is it nice? yes, somewhat it is. Is it all about that?? hell no IMHO and experience. Frankly, I and most natives and relative newcomers choose to live and recreate no where near the "city centre" - this MSA is far more full of truly suburban and more and more exurban "satellites" and they continue to grow, proliferate and dominate the landscape.

If you're looking to duplicate some kind of truly "northern downtown/city milieu" the downtown area right now is not it - it's a wannabe (for some, but most buyers are absolutely flocking, living and enjoying far, far different settings, such all around the massive 41 or so square mile area of massive Lakewood Ranch, other huge areas east of even Lorraine, North of sr64, Manatee River Basin, new huge areas planned for west Manatee/Bradenton, Parrish, Ellenton/east, Northport/Venice, and all the way south to Bonita, Estero/east, port Charlotte even in the storm areas)

Downtown Sarasota is not a microcosm of the MSA at all. That area is only "The City of Sarasota" proper.....which is only about 15 sq miles small. The largest concentration of hugely upscale and even moderate development of all kinds (SF, multi, mixed-use etc) is NOT in the City of Sarasota by a longshot - instead it's in unincorporated Manatee County and in unincorporated Sarasota County....it's certainly NOT in the City of Bradenton albeit that is changing rapidly.

Save money...Spend your money elsewhere but do spend valuable time in DT Sarasota. That should take only about 2.5 days wandering around Main Street and the bay environs, then you see for yourselves it ain't all about nuttin hunny - other than stupidly priced "access" for the "experience" and that so-called "coveted lifestyle"......LOL

Find your rainbow tho

Last edited by RidgeCrossing; 11-01-2022 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 09:39 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Bay Runner Trolley info: looks like it stops at Golden Gate (when construction is complete)

Map of Bay Runner Trolley and Trolley Information for Downtown Sarasota, FL, St. Armands Circle and Lido Beach.

https://sarasotabayrunner.com/trolley-route/

Last edited by gypsychic; 11-01-2022 at 09:50 AM..

Old 11-01-2022, 10:37 AM

103 posts, read 95,292 times
RidgeCrossing - "status" is a foreign concept to us. It's interesting you used the term "wannabe" to describe Sarasota's downtown. While it's a derogatory way of putting it, the general concept sort of captures what many people are looking for. The opportunity to "play city" without living in a "real" city.

I'm with you about prices. And it does bother me to be part of the problem by actually paying them. However I think when considering a relocation it's smart to try out the location by actually staying there for an extended period, it really is the best way to get an accurate perspective of what it's like to live there.

Last edited by Aquatique; 11-01-2022 at 10:58 AM..

Old 11-01-2022, 12:31 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Not sure the trolley runs all year. It was new last year.
Also, during high season it’s pretty packed and you would be getting on midway- so I’m not sure there would be room. Has it been running all summer and was it crowded? I left after the season.
There is a Uber which would be cheap considering the distance. But I come from an urban area up north where Uber and Lyft and of course walking and public transportation is ubiquitous. Probably not typical and not desired of the posters on here.

Last edited by foodyum; 11-01-2022 at 12:46 PM..

Old 11-01-2022, 12:53 PM

224 posts, read 186,939 times
But name one cool place to live? Every place sucks. In the 80s there were skating rinks, arcades, dances, lively bar scene, sports games, kids outside tossing ball.

Now days every one plays video games at home like Xbox and orders their stuff on Amazon. The book stores and malls can barely stay open. All that's left are restaurants. People need to support local business and activities so they can afford to stay open.

Old 11-01-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rainman View Post
But name one cool place to live? Every place sucks. In the 80s there were skating rinks, arcades, dances, lively bar scene, sports games, kids outside tossing ball.

Now days every one plays video games at home like Xbox and orders their stuff on Amazon. The book stores and malls can barely stay open. All that's left are restaurants. People need to support local business and activities so they can afford to stay open.
One thing is for sure, more places suck when you are poor.
An unfortunate reality.
There are still well maintained sports complexes, ski slopes, lively bar scenes, professional sports games galore, kids outside tossing balls and playing on soccer fields, baseball diamonds and basketball courts (night lit) In many many places.

Old 11-01-2022, 02:16 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Is it safe to ride a bicycle in DT Sarasota?

Old 11-01-2022, 02:22 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
One thing is for sure, more places suck when you are poor.
An unfortunate reality.
There are still well maintained sports complexes, ski slopes, lively bar scenes, professional sports games galore, kids outside tossing balls and playing on soccer fields, baseball diamonds and basketball courts (night lit) In many many places.
Yes, where I live now, there is plenty of that (minus ski slopes, lol). I am in Lakeland which has some of the best parks and recreation complexes of any place I have ever lived, despite Lakeland's relatively small size. Lots of tennis courts, BB courts, nature parks, Tiger Town (spring training), gaming arcades, walking/jogging bike paths, ice rink, roller rink and recreational classes. Most are free or cheap. It's really a great place for kids if people have them. I see kids outside playing all the time, it's almost like a throwback to an earlier simpler time, but in a good way.

Old 11-01-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, where I live now, there is plenty of that (minus ski slopes, lol). I am in Lakeland which has some of the best parks and recreation complexes of any place I have ever lived, despite Lakeland's relatively small size. Lots of tennis courts, BB courts, nature parks, Tiger Town (spring training), gaming arcades, walking/jogging bike paths, ice rink, roller rink and recreational classes. Most are free or cheap. It's really a great place for kids if people have them. I see kids outside playing all the time, it's almost like a throwback to an earlier simpler time, but in a good way.
Unfortunately those amenities don’t exist, or aren’t very nice or safe in impoverished communities.

Old 11-01-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Is it safe to ride a bicycle in DT Sarasota?
It’s legal to ride on the sidewalk, that’s quite unusual in my experience in American cities.
The reality is that you are on and off the bike because of all the crosswalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area