Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 08:15 PM

224 posts, read 188,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Unfortunately those amenities don’t exist, or aren’t very nice or safe in impoverished communities.
It's like $400,000 for a house in port Charlotte now. The mall is on life support. Used to be full 20 years ago. Most malls in the USA closed. All but one in Cincinnati are closed now. The cheap 99 cent movie theater that ran old movies gone. Current theatre also on life support. Arcades also gone. No more blockbuster.

Usually too hot for the park.

Book store a shell of what it used to be.

Oddly used to be no one outside. No kids playing. It's just too hot and the working class old people just sat home watching TV. It was really quiet and peaceful. Now everyone is out walking their dog or going for walks.

Used to be people playing guitar at the beach. That's gone. Most people are anti social sitting at home playing video games or online and buy online. Then covid really dealt the death blow. Cicis closed. The pizza was nasty but for $5 it was all you could eat and decent salad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 06:46 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,975,215 times
Quote:
Well I do.
So there is my personal experience. From living there.
Didn’t you say you rarely visit? Is that because you can’t use your bike?
You've also said Sarasota is a horrible place, about the most racist place you've ever been.

I can't tell if you are for real or not, because for hating a place so much, you claim to spend an awful lot of time here as a tourist. /shrug/

Let the OP ride her bike in downtown. She can report back how well that worked out.

Over and out.

Old 11-02-2022, 06:56 AM

25,930 posts, read 12,951,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rainman View Post
It's like $400,000 for a house in port Charlotte now. The mall is on life support. Used to be full 20 years ago. Most malls in the USA closed. All but one in Cincinnati are closed now. The cheap 99 cent movie theater that ran old movies gone. Current theatre also on life support. Arcades also gone. No more blockbuster.

Usually too hot for the park.

Book store a shell of what it used to be.

Oddly used to be no one outside. No kids playing. It's just too hot and the working class old people just sat home watching TV. It was really quiet and peaceful. Now everyone is out walking their dog or going for walks.

Used to be people playing guitar at the beach. That's gone. Most people are anti social sitting at home playing video games or online and buy online. Then covid really dealt the death blow. Cicis closed. The pizza was nasty but for $5 it was all you could eat and decent salad.
Old underutuilized Florida Malls are a gold mine waiting to happen, but this isnt the place to elaborate.

Downtown Sarasota has a few boutique shops, & art galleries. Not exactly shopping mecca though. St. Armands has more intrigueing retail to me than Downtown SRQ.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:03 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,270,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You've also said Sarasota is a horrible place, about the most racist place you've ever been.

I can't tell if you are for real or not, because for hating a place so much, you claim to spend an awful lot of time here as a tourist. /shrug/

Let the OP ride her bike in downtown. She can report back how well that worked out.

Over and out.
I have never said I hate Sarasota or it is the MOST racist place I have ever been. There are far far more racist places in Florida and it doesn’t come close to many other cities around the world that I have visited.
Just want to set the record straight. Sarasota is a beautiful and wonderful city, one of the best places in Florida.
No place is perfect and not ever place is right or welcomes everyone.
Oh, and I am real. Haha.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:36 AM

124 posts, read 99,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatique View Post
RidgeCrossing - "status" is a foreign concept to us. It's interesting you used the term "wannabe" to describe Sarasota's downtown. While it's a derogatory way of putting it, the general concept sort of captures what many people are looking for. The opportunity to "play city" without living in a "real" city.

I'm with you about prices. And it does bother me to be part of the problem by actually paying them. However I think when considering a relocation it's smart to try out the location by actually staying there for an extended period, it really is the best way to get an accurate perspective of what it's like to live there.
Perhaps you should expand your *search* to great places other than Sarasota and Florida.

My suggestion is to check out some great smaller cities, say in the State of South Carolina (maybe coastal areas), southern Georgia (check out St Simon area), Charleston (lots of non-pretenders/natives), eastern shore of Mobile, AL, Pass Christian, MS and even around Corpus Christi, TX.

Florida, right now is over-populated/crowded, and a bit irrationally expensive.

Good luck !

Old 11-02-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeCrossing View Post
Perhaps you should expand your *search* to great places other than Sarasota and Florida.

My suggestion is to check out some great smaller cities, say in the State of South Carolina (maybe coastal areas), southern Georgia (check out St Simon area), Charleston (lots of non-pretenders/natives), eastern shore of Mobile, AL, Pass Christian, MS and even around Corpus Christi, TX.

Florida, right now is over-populated/crowded, and a bit irrationally expensive.

Good luck !
Charleston is a great suggestion!
I check the prices and they are comparable however the properties don't have amenities like a pools or workout rooms because there aren't any high-rises or complexes (available now) that are in the downtown area. Some absolutely beautiful options. I've never lived there, just visited, but its a great town.
Savannah also - I checked that out and it is about 25% less than Charleston for in town.

Old 11-02-2022, 06:55 PM

17,561 posts, read 39,217,632 times
Quote:
Charleston is a great suggestion!
I check the prices and they are comparable however the properties don't have amenities like a pools or workout rooms because there aren't any high-rises or complexes (available now) that are in the downtown area. Some absolutely beautiful options. I've never lived there, just visited, but its a great town.
Savannah also - I checked that out and it is about 25% less than Charleston for in town.
Great suggestion for you perhaps but Charleston does not fit what the original OP is looking for. I have been there and it is charming; but again it is a completely different feel from Sarasota and NOT what the OP specified she and her husband want. Also it is even more prone to flooding than Sarasota and just as vulnerable to hurricanes. Sarasota may not be for everyone, but for those looking for what it has to offer it delivers, at least IMO

Charleston is a great place to visit, however.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Great suggestion for you perhaps but Charleston does not fit what the original OP is looking for. I have been there and it is charming; but again it is a completely different feel from Sarasota and NOT what the OP specified she and her husband want. Also it is even more prone to flooding than Sarasota and just as vulnerable to hurricanes. Sarasota may not be for everyone, but for those looking for what it has to offer it delivers, at least IMO

Charleston is a great place to visit, however.
After reviewing the criteria I agree, It definitely falls short in-that there are tons of young people partying all around the city. It’s hen /bachelorette party central and is crawling with college kids.
Savannah may be a (and less expensive) option worth considering. It’s younger for sure but feels like less of a tourist destination. I have only visited for a few days at a time and am no expert.
What’s your opinion?

Old 11-03-2022, 08:13 AM

124 posts, read 99,566 times
Sarasota proper? downtown??, frankly 2 to 15 miles past the city limits has absolutely NOTHING in common with the city centre at ALL.

That's the truth and it should be said out loud and clearly....this is not good OR bad....it's just a glaring reality to anyone who is from here, or has moved as a transplant in the last 15-20 years!

There is no sane, successful real estate agent, no smart local banker, attorney, small business owner, physician, educator or even college student would suggest or assert or believe that Sarasota proper is illustrative/representative of the "community", populace, social milieu, style or preferences of "living" or even "culture".

Any cursory examination by a Junior in *highscrewl* can see the glaring bifurcations.....again, not Bad or Good....just the facts.

The "attraction" for finding a location in which to reside, lies far outside Sarasota proper, and certainly not "downtown".....For example, there are tons of residents/buyers, locals and natives who live, say in University Park, The Meadows, Country Club, Tara, Greyhawk, Waterside, and even order locations like Palm Aire, or The Oaks etc. wouldn't want to be caught dead living anywhere close to Sarasota city centre......What I'm asserting is that the city centre is really not much of a draw, in toto. Those who choose city centre are in a tiny minority....and always will be (which is fine). It's a cart of a different colour for people of a "different colour" (

and wealth has nothing to do with it !) lol

Have fun tho

Old 11-03-2022, 10:06 AM

17,561 posts, read 39,217,632 times
Quote:
After reviewing the criteria I agree, It definitely falls short in-that there are tons of young people partying all around the city. It’s hen /bachelorette party central and is crawling with college kids.
Savannah may be a (and less expensive) option worth considering. It’s younger for sure but feels like less of a tourist destination. I have only visited for a few days at a time and am no expert.
What’s your opinion?
I have no first-hand experience with Savannah, but would love to visit someday. Lots of great architecture there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area