Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 12:41 PM

103 posts, read 96,444 times

Advertisements

Hi, I asked for location recommendations in the main FL section of the forum and downtown Sarasota was suggested as a place that fits what I'm looking for - a little bit upscale but not too ritzy, a little bit urban but not an overwhelming big city, safe / low crime, not a ton of people in their 20s, and not a wild party area. Here is that thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/flori...tzy-urban.html

My husband and I would like to first try a furnished rental for several months, then if we love downtown Sarasota we'd move forward with a longer term lease in an unfurnished place. We are open to all types of housing (condo, townhouse, single-family detached home, etc.) And we don't need a big place.

I think our budget might not be enough for downtown Sarasota, let me know. We'd like to stay around $3000/mo or less. I think a yearly lease unfurnished place might be possible for that amount but not a shorter term furnished rental right? How can I try to find something like a 5 or 6 month furnished rental other than Airbnb type sites? Any property management companies that might be able to help us?

Safety is really important to me and I get creeped out by sketchy people so please advise on specific neighborhoods that would be best and ones to avoid.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 12:59 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatique View Post
Hi, I asked for location recommendations in the main FL section of the forum and downtown Sarasota was suggested as a place that fits what I'm looking for - a little bit upscale but not too ritzy, a little bit urban but not an overwhelming big city, safe / low crime, not a ton of people in their 20s, and not a wild party area. Here is that thread: http:////www.city-data.com/forum/flo...tzy-urban.html

My husband and I would like to first try a furnished rental for several months, then if we love downtown Sarasota we'd move forward with a longer term lease in an unfurnished place. We are open to all types of housing (condo, townhouse, single-family detached home, etc.) And we don't need a big place.

I think our budget might not be enough for downtown Sarasota, let me know. We'd like to stay around $3000/mo or less. I think a yearly lease unfurnished place might be possible for that amount but not a shorter term furnished rental right? How can I try to find something like a 5 or 6 month furnished rental other than Airbnb type sites? Any property management companies that might be able to help us?

Safety is really important to me and I get creeped out by sketchy people so please advise on specific neighborhoods that would be best and ones to avoid.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.
It is possible that our resident realtor here (SunshineRules) can help you with this, not sure if she handles rentals, but maybe she can make some recommendations. Keep in mind that Sarasota is seasonal for several months of the year and we are approaching season where most rentals are booked in advance and for a lot of money.

If you can swing it you would love living in downtown - it has everything with more coming. It would fill pages to describe it all. There are lots of condo options and I am not sure of the price ranges of any of them but again hopefully a good realtor can help you out here.

Old 10-30-2022, 01:10 PM

Thank you gypsychic! It's exciting that you feel downtown Sarasota would be such a good fit for what we want!

The timeline we're hoping for would be to rent a furnished place starting around October 2023, for about 6 or 7 months, get to know the area, and hopefully transition from that rental into a longer term lease.

Old 10-30-2022, 01:11 PM

224 posts, read 187,724 times
You'll pay the same price for six months in the winter as you will to rent for 12 months. Your description sounds exactly like Sarasota and $3,000 a month sounds right. You might get less like $2,500 maybe. I don't know exactly. People like me can't afford to live there unless homeless. The only downside is it's relatively expensive and there's a lot of traffic. I guess it's overcrowded if you are from the country or suburbs but if you're from a big city it's not very crowded by comparison.

Old 10-30-2022, 01:30 PM

Thank you rainman. That is a very helpful description, that to someone used to more rural or suburban living Sarasota would probably seem overcrowded with a lot of traffic, but not to someone from a big city.

I'm not getting my hopes up that we can afford to rent in downtown Sarasota. Especially the shorter term furnished rental we're hoping to try first. I'm guessing at least $5000 or $6000 for that during winter months.

Old 10-30-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Thank you rainman. That is a very helpful description, that to someone used to more rural or suburban living Sarasota would probably seem overcrowded with a lot of traffic, but not to someone from a big city.

I'm not getting my hopes up that we can afford to rent in downtown Sarasota. Especially the shorter term furnished rental we're hoping to try first. I'm guessing at least $5000 or $6000 for that during winter months.
If you can stretch your budget, I would definitely try for the "right in downtown" experience. And I mean DOWNTOWN, not Laurel Park or the neighboring neighborhoods. It's just not the same to be on the outskirts. It will be worth it, I can almost guarantee it. Good luck to you!

Old 10-30-2022, 01:57 PM

As I'm searching for rentals I'm trying to figure out what the boundary lines are for the downtown area that fits my description of a little bit upscale, a little bit urban, and safe / low crime / not sketchy.

Edit - gypsy we were typing posts about the same topic at the same time. You should be a realtor by the way, you have me ready to break the bank for downtown Sarasota!

Old 10-30-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
As I'm searching for rentals I'm trying to figure out what the boundary lines are for the downtown area that fits my description of a little bit upscale, a little bit urban, and safe / low crime / not sketchy.

Edit - gypsy we were typing posts about the same topic at the same time. You should be a realtor by the way, you have me ready to break the bank for downtown Sarasota!
LOL long time ago in another life I was one. But I am truly enthusiastic about what this city has become. The best areas are downtown, south of downtown and west of the Trail, and the newer developments. However based on the experience you want I recommended right downtown. So many new condos I really am not familiar with them all with more to come on board. Many, many exciting things happening. I forgot to mention there is a free trolley that will take you all over downtown and over Ringling Bridge to St Armand Circle and Lido Beach. Nice little perk. Anyway I would say if possible, stick with Blvd. of the Arts (to the north) and north of Gulfstream. There is also Golden Gate Point as you are crossing Ringling Bridge.

Besides Sunshine Rules here on this forum, there is another poster called "Ladywithafan" and I think she may work in property management.

Old 10-30-2022, 05:52 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
SO this is an odd question ... but ... what is attractive about downtown Sarasota?

It's a few streets of restaurants with an occasional art gallery thrown in. The old bookstore is cool. But ...

What is it about the appeal that I'm missing?

Old 10-30-2022, 06:12 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,257,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
SO this is an odd question ... but ... what is attractive about downtown Sarasota?

It's a few streets of restaurants with an occasional art gallery thrown in. The old bookstore is cool. But ...

What is it about the appeal that I'm missing?
The biggest appeal is being able to walk to everything. Not having to use a car to do just about every daily activity. Also, there is a lot going on at all different price points.
Walk to gym, grocery stores, hair cut, drug store, coffee shop, church, library.
Being able to drink and not have to worry about driving. Big plus.
Great art movie theater and large multiplex also for with lots of concerts in dozens of local venues, including parks, museum, churches.
Walking distance to selby gardens and bay Park. Beautiful sunsets along the water.
Free shuttle to the beach and st Armand.
Walking distance to south side village for different set of restaurants.
Being able to live most of your life without depending on a car is both healthy and less stressful.

Last edited by foodyum; 10-30-2022 at 06:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area