Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 10:12 AM

17,539 posts, read 39,160,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeCrossing View Post
Sarasota proper? downtown??, frankly 2 to 15 miles past the city limits has absolutely NOTHING in common with the city centre at ALL.

That's the truth and it should be said out loud and clearly....this is not good OR bad....it's just a glaring reality to anyone who is from here, or has moved as a transplant in the last 15-20 years!

There is no sane, successful real estate agent, no smart local banker, attorney, small business owner, physician, educator or even college student would suggest or assert or believe that Sarasota proper is illustrative/representative of the "community", populace, social milieu, style or preferences of "living" or even "culture".

Any cursory examination by a Junior in *highscrewl* can see the glaring bifurcations.....again, not Bad or Good....just the facts.

The "attraction" for finding a location in which to reside, lies far outside Sarasota proper, and certainly not "downtown".....For example, there are tons of residents/buyers, locals and natives who live, say in University Park, The Meadows, Country Club, Tara, Greyhawk, Waterside, and even order locations like Palm Aire, or The Oaks etc. wouldn't want to be caught dead living anywhere close to Sarasota city centre......What I'm asserting is that the city centre is really not much of a draw, in toto. Those who choose city centre are in a tiny minority....and always will be (which is fine). It's a cart of a different colour for people of a "different colour" (

and wealth has nothing to do with it !) lol

Have fun tho
Well, yes, it has already been said before, many times in fact, that the "city centre" of Sarasota is different from the outlying areas. This was discussed right in the beginning with the OP, who uniquely expressed they wanted the downtown experience which is what I recommended. A good trial rental will quickly let them know if this satisfies their requirements. Sarasota is no different from many other cities, large or small, which have a nice downtown, some not-so-nice areas, and some average neighborhoods.

Years ago we did live near downtown (before it was expensive and trendy) and I didn't care for it. I much prefer what I call the "urban-surburban" areas - nearby but a few minutes drive to downtown. But we all want something different at different points in our lives, which is why we actually live in Lakeland now and just visit Sarasota from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 03:43 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,259,148 times
Quote:
Sarasota proper? downtown??, frankly 2 to 15 miles past the city limits has absolutely NOTHING in common with the city centre at ALL.

That's the truth and it should be said out loud and clearly....this is not good OR bad....it's just a glaring reality to anyone who is from here, or has moved as a transplant in the last 15-20 years!

There is no sane, successful real estate agent, no smart local banker, attorney, small business owner, physician, educator or even college student would suggest or assert or believe that Sarasota proper is illustrative/representative of the "community", populace, social milieu, style or preferences of "living" or even "culture".

Any cursory examination by a Junior in *highscrewl* can see the glaring bifurcations.....again, not Bad or Good....just the facts.

The "attraction" for finding a location in which to reside, lies far outside Sarasota proper, and certainly not "downtown".....For example, there are tons of residents/buyers, locals and natives who live, say in University Park, The Meadows, Country Club, Tara, Greyhawk, Waterside, and even order locations like Palm Aire, or The Oaks etc. wouldn't want to be caught dead living anywhere close to Sarasota city centre......What I'm asserting is that the city centre is really not much of a draw, in toto. Those who choose city centre are in a tiny minority....and always will be (which is fine). It's a cart of a different colour for people of a "different colour" (

and wealth has nothing to do with it !) lol

Have fun tho
Honest question.
Why would anyone choose to live in any of the communities you listed above as opposed to the other thousands of similar looking communities all over Florida. What makes these communities better or more attractive than the ones around Orlando or Boca or Fort Lauderdale or Naples?
I just dont see the reason because they are nothing special and they just keep building more and more of the exact same type of places. They are not on the beach. Is it to be near the highway as the big draw?
To me the city center is much more of a draw than a community that looks just like every other community doted all over the state. It offers a different type of lifestyle.
Plus with south side elementary you are getting a good school and a very community oriented neighborhood for families.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:08 AM

124 posts, read 113,991 times
After looking for 'our place' in SW FL for 3 years we finally settled into what is called Downtown Edge (near Alta Vista) here in Sarasota. WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! It's an area that is turning so may not be for everyone but we do not feel unsafe at all. 15" drive to Lido beach, hop on trolley for safe ride downtown, walkable to Laurel Park, walk to Publix, walk to Payne Park, and we can hop on the Legacy Trail with our bikes right outside our house. Yes, the Legacy Trail is completed all the way to Venice. I know the hurricane damaged part of it nearer to Venice so not sure if that has been fully repaired yet.

I would not recommend biking in downtown Sarasota. We were excited when the city started to make biking lanes on Ringling but now find ourselves very disappointed in what they actually did. It's a mess, IMO. People are going both directions on both sides even though there are one-way arrows and now they have added parking spaces between road and bike line. OMG! You have to see it to understand how crazy it is. And yes, cars turn into the bike lane crossings and there is no signal to biker they need to stop or even slow down.

Yes, we can bike on the sidewalks but must give right of way to pedestrians and give an audible signal when passing on the left. As a sad note to this conversation... on Thursday morning, there was a bike vs. construction dump truck accident at Ringling/Pineapple circle which resulted in fatality. Sarasota has got to come up with some better solutions!

Old 11-05-2022, 11:52 AM

25,788 posts, read 12,849,279 times
I've recently cycled the Legacy Trail from the Southern tip of the Venice trail portion near Casperson Beach, all the way North to Clark Road, and its all been cleared.

I have not ridden from Clark Road North to Payne Park yet, but its on my next ride.

Old 11-06-2022, 10:38 AM

124 posts, read 99,219 times
Gotta have a death wish to ride a bicycle ANYWHERE in/close to DT Sarasota, City of Bradenton, even on the surface streets of LWR. I see mega idiots riding on University near I75 even. You gotta be a big fool....but lots of fools are living here now - it's unlikely you see any native riding a bike in most of these places LOL - squished like a bug !

Old 11-06-2022, 02:33 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidModUSA View Post
After looking for 'our place' in SW FL for 3 years we finally settled into what is called Downtown Edge (near Alta Vista) here in Sarasota. WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! It's an area that is turning so may not be for everyone but we do not feel unsafe at all. 15" drive to Lido beach, hop on trolley for safe ride downtown, walkable to Laurel Park, walk to Publix, walk to Payne Park, and we can hop on the Legacy Trail with our bikes right outside our house. Yes, the Legacy Trail is completed all the way to Venice. I know the hurricane damaged part of it nearer to Venice so not sure if that has been fully repaired yet.

I would not recommend biking in downtown Sarasota. We were excited when the city started to make biking lanes on Ringling but now find ourselves very disappointed in what they actually did. It's a mess, IMO. People are going both directions on both sides even though there are one-way arrows and now they have added parking spaces between road and bike line. OMG! You have to see it to understand how crazy it is. And yes, cars turn into the bike lane crossings and there is no signal to biker they need to stop or even slow down.

Yes, we can bike on the sidewalks but must give right of way to pedestrians and give an audible signal when passing on the left. As a sad note to this conversation... on Thursday morning, there was a bike vs. construction dump truck accident at Ringling/Pineapple circle which resulted in fatality. Sarasota has got to come up with some better solutions!
Which is why I had stated previously no one would want to bike in downtown Sarasota.

It's too dangerous.

Old 11-06-2022, 02:35 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
Quote:
Gotta have a death wish to ride a bicycle ANYWHERE in/close to DT Sarasota, City of Bradenton, even on the surface streets of LWR. I see mega idiots riding on University near I75 even. You gotta be a big fool....but lots of fools are living here now - it's unlikely you see any native riding a bike in most of these places LOL - squished like a bug !
Yep.

I cannot figure out why there are bike lanes on UTC by 75. Most idiotic area to include them. You'd be killed. No question.

Old 11-06-2022, 03:06 PM

17,539 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Yep.

I cannot figure out why there are bike lanes on UTC by 75. Most idiotic area to include them. You'd be killed. No question.
The first time I saw those I thought "WHAT THE HELL???" You'd have to be out of your mind to ride around there. Sarasota has a lot of nice things, but it has to be (along with Tampa) about the MOST unfriendly town for bikes I have ever seen.

Total opposite from here in Lakeland where it is geared towards bicycles - many paths, crossings, etc.

Old 11-06-2022, 05:21 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,758,240 times
Quote:
Which is why I had stated previously no one would want to bike in downtown Sarasota.

It's too dangerous.
Quote:
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The first time I saw those I thought "WHAT THE HELL???" You'd have to be out of your mind to ride around there. Sarasota has a lot of nice things, but it has to be (along with Tampa) about the MOST unfriendly town for bikes I have ever seen.

Total opposite from here in Lakeland where it is geared towards bicycles - many paths, crossings, etc.
This is quite depressing. I love riding my bike.

Old 11-06-2022, 05:35 PM

2,349 posts, read 2,302,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
This is quite depressing. I love riding my bike.
Then you’ll enjoy riding from downtown to the beach. It’s a great ride and completely safe as the pathway is separate from the main road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area