Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,979,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Breeder View Post
If you walk from Atlanta to Decatur drunk, you will be a walking ghost by the time you cross the Fulton/Dekalb county line. There are some very dangerous areas between Atlanta and Decatur. On the other hand. If Underground Atlanta is still open that would be the ticket.
There are portions of Ponce that are a bit on the sketchy side, but most of that distance is a very nice area. The Fulton/DeKalb border itself is in the middle of a greenway (the Druid Hills area as mentioned before). Personally, if I truly wanted to walk those 7 miles from downtown Atlanta to downtown Decatur, I could. I have walked from Ardsley Park to Wilmington Island quite a few times (Thunderbolt bridge and all) and that is roughly the same distance, add a couple miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Homes stretch that far. The sidewalks don't even last that long.
This may be true as I have not walked the entire neighborhood from Virginia Avenue to Ponce De Leon, however the Virginia-Highland (without the S) neighborhood only really has two main areas of concentrated bars/nightlife. The corner of Virginia & Highland and a cluster between Drewry and it's southern border of Ponce. To my knowledge.

Really, when you think about it, it isn't a fair comparison as there are many differences between Savannah's nightlife and Atlanta's. Both are respectable in their own right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 AM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
The poster before yours mentioned WALKING.
I am guessing that you are talking about DRIVING.
I wasnt speaking about that. I was addressing the assertion that this is a dangerous area. By and large it is not.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Homes stretch that far. The sidewalks don't even last that long.
I assure you sidewalks line the entire stretch.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,886,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I assure you sidewalks line the entire stretch.
If they do there is a big 4 lane highway that makes it unappealing and dangerous. Atlanta is not urban in it's night life. Savannah is so it is more fun.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:36 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,928 times
Quote:
If they do there is a big 4 lane highway that makes it unappealing and dangerous. Atlanta is not urban in it's night life. Savannah is so it is more fun.
Are you referring to crossing Ponce?

Old 05-21-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Are you referring to crossing Ponce?
All of the supposed "dense nighlife" areas of Atlanta.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:24 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,928 times
Quote:
All of the supposed "dense nighlife" areas of Atlanta.
I don't really follow. Most of the main streets in these areas look a lot like Bay Street--25 to 35mph types of affairs.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:39 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Guys, all this stuff about "diversity" of clubs and variety is pointless to the average person. It's all about being able to walk and to walk holding your beer. It really does mean more then the number or variety of bars or the big acts. Being able to walk to every bar in the city is what's important.
I completely disagree. Variety of nightlife venues is extremely important. A young college kid or a Black gay guy is going to find nightlife in Atlanta much more exciting than in Savannah, despite the lack of the walkability factor. Atlanta's nightlife appeals to a much broader cross-section of people. That means a lot and is why Atlanta is regional nightlife destination.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I completely disagree. Variety of nightlife venues is extremely important. A young college kid or a Black gay guy is going to find nightlife in Atlanta much more exciting than in Savannah, despite the lack of the walkability factor. Atlanta's nightlife appeals to a much broader cross-section of people. That means a lot and is why Atlanta is regional nightlife destination.

No, it's walkabilty. Not driving to the bars.

Look at the magazine, they agree. People just want to have a good time and walk.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
With all due respect, you simply have NO idea what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area