Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:39 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,886,331 times

Advertisements

All the people who don't get why being able to walk from bar to bar while seeing hundreds in the streets creates a much better nightlife experience have been living on the wrong cities or are missing out. That or they just aren't nightlife people and that is fine, but he poll wasn't for you.

Not to mention the added bonus of being able to drink on the street? If you don't get how that is fun combined with the atmosphere part then you need to just stay home with the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:53 AM

80 posts, read 132,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
You must not have experience a city or downtown that had a dense walkable nightlife area.
You're right. Downtown Sacramento/Davis is a wooded area nightmare of inactivity. Not to mention the horror that is San Francisco.

I'm looking at the "density" of bars (or what Google Maps thinks are bars) for Savannah and it doesn't look as impressive as folks have made it out to be, especially considering it seems mostly concentrated in one area.

Granted I know nothing about either city, but I feel pretty confident moving to Atlanta where each of its little "neighborhoods" seem to have their own walkable bar scene, with each neighborhood accessible by the subway should one want to transition. The way you folks have been describing it, Atlanta is virtually dead at night, from the lack of "accessibility".

Old 05-24-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDS! View Post
You're right. Downtown Sacramento/Davis is a wooded area nightmare of inactivity. Not to mention the horror that is San Francisco.

I'm looking at the "density" of bars (or what Google Maps thinks are bars) for Savannah and it doesn't look as impressive as folks have made it out to be, especially considering it seems mostly concentrated in one area.

Granted I know nothing about either city, but I feel pretty confident moving to Atlanta where each of its little "neighborhoods" seem to have their own walkable bar scene, with each neighborhood accessible by the subway should one want to transition. The way you folks have been describing it, Atlanta is virtually dead at night, from the lack of "accessibility".
Subways don't go to them all and if they do the Marta shuts down before midnight so it doesn't do much good. The little neighborhoods don't have anywhere near the vibrancy, and walkability as Savannah in the bar areas. You can't drink on the street either. If you have never experienced street drinking in a dense area you are missing out.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:36 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDS! View Post

Finally, someone gets it!! It IS concentrated on just one area. The Historic District.

It's not in ALL of the Savannah Metropolitan Area. Nor ALL of the Atlanta Metropolitan Area. ONE area. The concentrated Historic District area. It's Walkable.

ONE area in Savannah compared to ONE area in Atlanta. One = One. Not, One = Many. You don't have to get into your car and drive and park. WALK.

The guy that wrote the review probablly doesn't even know that other areas exist. They certainly wouldn't be worth a mention in Savannah. There just isn't another area in Savannah.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Finally, someone gets it!! It IS concentrated on just one area. The Historic District.

It's not in ALL of the Savannah Metropolitan Area. Nor ALL of the Atlanta Metropolitan Area. ONE area. The concentrated Historic District area. It's Walkable.

ONE area in Savannah compared to ONE area in Atlanta. One = One. Not, One = Many. You don't have to get into your car and drive and park. WALK.

The guy that wrote the review probablly doesn't even know that other areas exist. They certainly wouldn't be worth a mention in Savannah. There just isn't another area in Savannah.
The denses blows the whole city of Atlanta's nighlife away.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:03 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
It isn't about quantity. I assume your aren't a person who cares for nightlife.
I'm actually a bit scared of most bars. I prefer coffee places.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:47 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,979,249 times
Quote:
Subways don't go to them all and if they do the Marta shuts down before midnight so it doesn't do much good.
Just a clarification. MARTA does not shut down before midnight. Last I heard, it was 1am. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:21 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
You must not have experience a city or downtown that had a dense walkable nightlife area. Who wants to pay and hop in a cab to bar/club hop?
But despite this, Los Angeles is ranked #3 on the list and its entry explicitly says:
L.A.'s driving culture makes bar-hopping difficult, so plan your night carefully and call a cab at the evening's end.
Who knows WHAT the criteria is for this ranking. Everybody's just speculating.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:15 PM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
The denses blows the whole city of Atlanta's nighlife away.
Ironic as this may sound, you need to get out more.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:40 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,928 times
Athens easily blows Atlanta and Savannah out of the water if we're looking at a concentrated district. We're talking about 100 bars and restaurants within a tenth of a square mile--a rather ludicrous ratio by any standard. Neither Atlanta nor Savannah comes close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area