Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 11:36 AM

769 posts, read 2,233,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
Did you ever consider that the poster's intent is not to solve Seattle's problems, but is, perhaps, just a form of catharsis for them? I think it's silly to consider that a person has hopes of sweeping change by posting on a message board. They're not looking for change, they're looking to see if maybe, just maybe, they're not completely alone in the way they feel.

V. =)
Okay. That's good. They're not alone. But, like I've been saying before, some of you posters have been commenting on this for months now. If you want to discuss it or rant about it a little, then that is cool. But what does it get you to whine about it constantly?

Old 11-26-2008, 07:12 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Okay. That's good. They're not alone. But, like I've been saying before, some of you posters have been commenting on this for months now. If you want to discuss it or rant about it a little, then that is cool. But what does it get you to whine about it constantly?
I created quite a pickle here i see

Look guys, i have no problem if you like seattle (for all im concerned its one more person out of california ) I wasnt attacking anyone personally. I was expressing my feelings about the city and how dreary it can be to someone moving in. (more so than other cities ive been to)

Life doesnt always work out the way we want it. If I could stay in sunny san diego my whole life and continue my career path there I would TOTALLY do it. But as you all know the job market doesnt work like that and sometimes were forced to move somewhere we dont always want to move. You think i wanted to move to seattle?! Hell no. I was terrified at the thought. But I wanted a paycheck and I was fresh out of school in a ****ty job market

Seattle as a whole, the way ive seen it is a very uninviting city. People dont seem to care about anyone, especially the outsiders. Nobody cares about who you are, or what you like to do, or where youre from. Its this attitude of "me me me" everywhere. Seattleites are so stuck up their own asses they fail to realize what its like to live in a community. And community is the one thing seattle lacks.... there is no sense of feeling like your part of the city.

Is it impossible to meet people and socialize? Absolutely not, Ive done it and made a few friends... but i had to work my f***ing ass off to make it happen!

I dont know... if isolation is your thing, go for it. I personally think its a waste of life. Again, no offense to ANYONE living in seattle... this is my general view only. And for the record, I have taken a job offer back in california

Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 PM

36 posts, read 273,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post

Is it impossible to meet people and socialize? Absolutely not, Ive done it and made a few friends... but i had to work my f***ing ass off to make it happen!

I dont know... if isolation is your thing, go for it.

You hit it on the head brother.
If you are single and move to Seattle-you will die single!!!
...oh, and that Meetup Seattle-rediculous joke!!! Don't waiste your time with it.

Seattle-pathetic place to be single.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:32 PM

769 posts, read 2,233,141 times
Quote:
I created quite a pickle here i see

Look guys, i have no problem if you like seattle (for all im concerned its one more person out of california ) I wasnt attacking anyone personally. I was expressing my feelings about the city and how dreary it can be to someone moving in. (more so than other cities ive been to)

Life doesnt always work out the way we want it. If I could stay in sunny san diego my whole life and continue my career path there I would TOTALLY do it. But as you all know the job market doesnt work like that and sometimes were forced to move somewhere we dont always want to move. You think i wanted to move to seattle?! Hell no. I was terrified at the thought. But I wanted a paycheck and I was fresh out of school in a ****ty job market

Seattle as a whole, the way ive seen it is a very uninviting city. People dont seem to care about anyone, especially the outsiders. Nobody cares about who you are, or what you like to do, or where youre from. Its this attitude of "me me me" everywhere. Seattleites are so stuck up their own asses they fail to realize what its like to live in a community. And community is the one thing seattle lacks.... there is no sense of feeling like your part of the city.

I dont know... if isolation is your thing, go for it. I personally think its a waste of life. Again, no offense to ANYONE living in seattle... this is my general view only. And for the record, I have taken a job offer back in california
Congratulations on your move back to California. No hard feelings.

Anyway, you may be right. Seattle doesn't have much of a community feel, and there may not be any feeling that you're part of a community. But does that necessarily mean you have the feeling you're not part of a community? Plus, a huge number of people in Seattle are transplants. Why are you guys so standoffish toward each other? I seriously don't get it. Transplants make up a huge number of the people in the city yet you've done nothing to make it more socially vibrant. What's the deal with you people?

Maybe you guys haven't done anything big to help out Seattle. You just said you didn't want to be here. So it is doubtful you put much effort into making the city a better place to live. You said you made a few friends but you had to work to meet people. Is that so bad? It's hard work to get a decent job these days (and maybe any day), but isn't it worth the effort to try and get one? And the same could be said for getting a friend. It may take extra effort to get a friend, but isn't it worth it? Or do you think friends should come to you conveniently, like making a microwave dinner. What's wrong with trying to build a lasting friendship, rather than hooking up with any random person you meet?

Lastly, you've proven what I've been saying for a while on this forum: if you're going to end up leaving soon then there really isn't any point in trying to go out of my way to be your friend. You never wanted to be in Seattle in the first place and you were just waiting to leave, so why should I be your friend? You never cared about Seattle or the people there, so why should Seattlites "invite" some unhappy transplant into their city in the first place?

Here's one of your previous quotes:
Quote:
I just took my first job in seattle a year ago and immediately had a frown on my face when I arrived.

Ive never felt so confined EVER in my entire life (due to the weather, traffic, and social scene). The strong EMO/grunge trend up here, is just flat out ugly. Couple that with the bad weather, smug people, lack of positive atmosphere, and its just downright depressing.
Yeah, people in Seattle should stop what they're doing and make a person like that feel welcome. *rolls eyes*

Old 11-28-2008, 02:19 PM

263 posts, read 1,079,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopiepie View Post
Our friends in Phoenix keep their thermostat set to 85-- so the AC will only turn ON once the temperature in the house gets up to 85. It is hideous. For fun, they go and throw a ball for their dog in their big dirt yard. Their house looks like every other one on the block and there are no trees, just rocks and dirt. Hot winds blow dirt into the house. Reminds me of Mars. Don't run to AZ in reaction to not liking Seattle! Imagine a life with _no_ greenery. That's Phoenix.

Well said. I owned a house in Arizona and I just watered the hell out of the grass so every two weeks I could cut it down while risking having a heat stroke. You 'bout go blind when you go outside for the the first during the day.

Mars: Wikiepedia says phoenix has similar attributes as Mars. It's a sad place, desolate place on earth. I'm a native Arizonan, btw.

Of course everyone has city pride so even in phoenix you can't convince locals that it's an ugly, unearthly place. Just ask poeple if they think baghdad, iraq (phoenix) is nicer than stockholm, sweden (seattle).

Old 11-28-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella0528 View Post
LOL==there IS greenery if you drive out of Phoenix--there is also FALL, and SNOW---thats part of the beauty of phoenix...you can drive all over the place and hit seasons if you miss that. I agree on the dust/dirt---and the houses---BUT there are neighborhoods that aren't track homes.
You're joking, right? Do you realize you're telling people to go somewhere else to get seasons and/ore weather? If they do this, they are no longer in phoenix. Nothing against you..I know you're probably a native, but just had to harp on your statement.

This is the dumbest thing poeple that live int he Valley say: "It snows in Flagstaff, there're trees in Showlow, Grand Canyon only 6 hours away, and we even have beach in in San Diego". Absolutely funny!! They never realize they don't live in ANY of those places. What else do they have, subway in NYC, monuments in DC, restaurants in Paris? Yeah, you can get all that right there in sunny ole phoenix according to the locals livinng in denial.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:33 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,878 times
I'm currently in Phoenix and just got a transfer to Olympia. I find this thread funny because Phoenix is involved. I am of course sort of curious what its like to never see the sun. I think I've had enough sun to at least last me a couple of years. lol I never even thought of moving to WA actually, was wanting to move to Mass or RI but you have to work so I will try it. I haven't been out of the "valley of the sun" for a good while, wonder how I'll do? Went to see Twilight with my kids just to see what it looked like back there since we are moving to that area, wow, I was shocked! Very beautiful I must say.

Hmmmm, wonder how I will do with no sun? I think I have "mad" instead of "sad", lol, thats what we get from to much sunshine here. lol So, will I run outside to see the sun like we in Phoenix run outside to see the rain? We treat it like an alien spaceship has just arrived. h aha

Old 11-29-2008, 04:05 AM

86 posts, read 341,381 times
lol twilight takes place in forks, forks averages 121 inches of rainfall a year. olympia averages around 39.5 inches. majorrrrr difference.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyn View Post
lol twilight takes place in forks, forks averages 121 inches of rainfall a year. olympia averages around 39.5 inches. majorrrrr difference.
Rainfall may be dissimilar but the amount of overcast is similar

Old 11-29-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I'm currently in Phoenix and just got a transfer to Olympia. I find this thread funny because Phoenix is involved. I am of course sort of curious what its like to never see the sun. I think I've had enough sun to at least last me a couple of years. lol I never even thought of moving to WA actually, was wanting to move to Mass or RI but you have to work so I will try it. I haven't been out of the "valley of the sun" for a good while, wonder how I'll do? Went to see Twilight with my kids just to see what it looked like back there since we are moving to that area, wow, I was shocked! Very beautiful I must say.

Hmmmm, wonder how I will do with no sun? I think I have "mad" instead of "sad", lol, thats what we get from to much sunshine here. lol So, will I run outside to see the sun like we in Phoenix run outside to see the rain? We treat it like an alien spaceship has just arrived. h aha

If you lik nature, secenry, etc, then you will love Washington. If you only like city, then you will love Seattle. In terms of the weather, well, I loved it when I was there. The whole rain thing is a myth, believe me. It got dark atlike 4pm in December and rained alot, but most of the year (april-october) it doesn't even rain that much and the rest of the months it's more of a drizzle most of the time. It's not like torretional rain fall (remember that 'one' day back in august when phoenix flooded cuz it rained for a whole day?) in houston or atalanta - it's nothing like that in WA state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area