Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 05:47 PM

27 posts, read 80,547 times

Advertisements

JEEZ--this is no fun to hear---I have lived here in Phoenix for the past 18years and I am moving to West Seattle in April '09--I don't like hearing it's hard to make friends I was hoping to meet some really cool fun new friends out there---didn't think it would be too terribly hard to do that. My boyfriend has lived there for 26 years---and he is mr friendly pants...and says thats how it is there...but I'm sure not everyone is, as I would say about Phoenix, there is overly friendly people and then not so much.....it's how you go about meeting new people...as someone else mentioned...I hope to become friends w/ my boyfriends friends...BUT I do plan on meeting some new ones of my own! 4 friends is plenty for me anyway...hell 1 is good for me I think work is a place to start....

Old 11-04-2008, 01:14 PM

22 posts, read 61,495 times
Default Phoenix heat

Our friends in Phoenix keep their thermostat set to 85-- so the AC will only turn ON once the temperature in the house gets up to 85. It is hideous. For fun, they go and throw a ball for their dog in their big dirt yard. Their house looks like every other one on the block and there are no trees, just rocks and dirt. Hot winds blow dirt into the house. Reminds me of Mars. Don't run to AZ in reaction to not liking Seattle! Imagine a life with _no_ greenery. That's Phoenix.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:10 PM

178 posts, read 584,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopiepie View Post
Our friends in Phoenix keep their thermostat set to 85-- so the AC will only turn ON once the temperature in the house gets up to 85. It is hideous. For fun, they go and throw a ball for their dog in their big dirt yard. Their house looks like every other one on the block and there are no trees, just rocks and dirt. Hot winds blow dirt into the house. Reminds me of Mars. Don't run to AZ in reaction to not liking Seattle! Imagine a life with _no_ greenery. That's Phoenix.
This sounds like a particularly vivid nightmare I might have...but then, I'm loving the fall weather in Seattle.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:51 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprty View Post
trust me you dont want phoenix. I ahve lived here for 4 years and hat it with a passion. I grew up in Atlanta and this place sucks...the heat, its bland and brown, rocks instead of grass for your yard..enjoy
Atlanta is a beautiful city. I lived there for 2 years and moved to the PNW to be closer to family who had relocated there.

Anything over 105, dry or otherwise, just sucks the life out of you. If PHX rarely topped 95, I think I could put up with the bland and brown for the year-round sunshine. But since it's over 100 for THREE MONTHS, I wouldn't consider it.

I disagree with the assessment of humidity. To me, 103 and dry is more painful than 90 and humid. I'd take ATL over PHX.

And, again, look at ALL the passive-aggressive comments...a Seattle trademark.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:08 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,773,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

And, again, look at ALL the passive-aggressive comments...a Seattle trademark.
Oh good, this board needed a new Jenbar. It was getting way too positive.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:09 PM

27 posts, read 80,547 times
LOL==there IS greenery if you drive out of Phoenix--there is also FALL, and SNOW---thats part of the beauty of phoenix...you can drive all over the place and hit seasons if you miss that. I agree on the dust/dirt---and the houses---BUT there are neighborhoods that aren't track homes.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:21 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,851,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella0528 View Post
LOL==there IS greenery if you drive out of Phoenix--there is also FALL, and SNOW---thats part of the beauty of phoenix...you can drive all over the place and hit seasons if you miss that. I agree on the dust/dirt---and the houses---BUT there are neighborhoods that aren't track homes.
I have to say, after living a year in the Seattle area, going to visit my dad and stepmom in Phoenix really gave me a new appreciation of the desert landscape. I'd never seen it as so beautiful before.

V. =)

Old 11-12-2008, 07:50 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,175 times
The Sonoran Desert can be just gorgeous, especially if one is used to the more dreary (and relatively saguaro-less) Mojave Desert. It's more scenic than much of eastern Washington, too. And as a whole, Arizona has a tremendous amount of physical diversity (e.g. Flagstaff at 7,000 feet, big ponderosa pine stands in the north, etc.), as pointed out earlier.

I don't think I could never again live and work in the summer heat of Phoenix though. And I'm a native. But it's still more comfortable than the SE United States.

But Seattle in the summer is the best!

Old 11-12-2008, 02:48 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,653 times
Oh man Ive been DESPERATELY trying to move out of seattle for a couple months now. Im a native Californian but went to school in AZ for 4 years. I just took my first job in seattle a year ago and immediately had a frown on my face when I arrived.

Ive never felt so confined EVER in my entire life (due to the weather, traffic, and social scene). The strong EMO/grunge trend up here, is just flat out ugly. Couple that with the bad weather, smug people, lack of positive atmosphere, and its just downright depressing.

I will be moving back to the southwest March 1st. Risking my career... quite possibly.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:11 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
Don't let the door smack ya on the way out my friend.

Last edited by toughguy; 11-12-2008 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area