Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:13 PM

255 posts, read 821,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post

To be honest I have encountered something today that would be a major downer in Seattle. I awoke to a rainy sunrise, and the idea of going outside into the rain to head to work kinda sucks! Once in a while oooooooook. Everyday? I think it would blow!
One of my reasons for leaving! Imagine that for weeks on end, everything is wet and dark and gray...you leave for work in the dark, and get home when it's dark. Then, the weekend comes, and you're ready to go for a hike or maybe go camping, and (guess what?) it's raining again! People may as well hibernate for most of the year.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:44 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,052,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust07 View Post
One of my reasons for leaving! Imagine that for weeks on end, everything is wet and dark and gray...you leave for work in the dark, and get home when it's dark. Then, the weekend comes, and you're ready to go for a hike or maybe go camping, and (guess what?) it's raining again! People may as well hibernate for most of the year.

This is exactly the reason I left after being born, having grown up, and living in Washington for decades. Very well put, Wanderlust!

Even spending part of the summer in western Washington is too cold and damp for me now. My teeth have been chattering all morning and I feel the need to put on a jacket ...and this is August!

For me, it had nothing to do with the social climate at all.

--'rocco

Old 08-10-2007, 02:53 PM

559 posts, read 2,116,373 times
Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
This is exactly the reason I left after being born, having grown up, and living in Washington for decades. Very well put, Wanderlust!

Even spending part of the summer in western Washington is too cold and damp for me now. My teeth have been chattering all morning and I feel the need to put on a jacket ...and this is August!

For me, it had nothing to do with the social climate at all.

--'rocco
And this is exactly the reason I want to go home to the South! I can deal with the heat and humidity; there is such a thing as air conditioning, for Pete's sake! People come to visit you in the South, and there is LIFE other than working all the time simply to make your payment on an impossible mortgage, unlike here in Washington. Gosh, I want to go home!!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:59 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,247,925 times
It is almost hillarious how people gripe about Seattle weather. BCKettles, people don't come and visit you out here?

...'and there is LIFE other than working all the time simply to make your payment on an impossible mortgage, unlike here in Washington.' This could pertain to any major NA city.

Remember this is the pacific northwest. We don't want 90's and 100's. We barely want 80's. We don't mind turning on the heat in July and August. Who cares. We don't want a/c. We don't like oppressive heat and humidity. We like windows open in our homes with nice breezes coming through. We don't like blizzards, sleet and dull lifeless winter landscapes. We don't like flying roaches, cicadas or fire ants. I met and became friends with so many wonderful people, locals or otherwise who DO love it here. This passive aggressive stuff sounds so crazy. Passive agressive people are found in every city in America. People here might drive a little slower than most, but at least my car insurance is lower here than anywhere I ever lived, and I lived in a lot of cities. Seattle is not a perfect city but it is my home now and I do love living here. If you are unhappy here the best thing for you to do is to go somewhere else to find your happiness. If I were as unhappy as a lot of people I met on this forum I would make it my no. 1 priority to get out.
That's all.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:17 PM

255 posts, read 821,680 times
pwright: not sure how long you've lived in the Seattle area, but I've lived here long enough to experience how it's changed...and not for the better. It used to have manageable traffic and "affordable" housing, but no more. Lots of transplants now, maybe that's changed the vibe, too.

As far as climate goes, those 90 degree temps might become the norm, so people might want to start getting A/C before next summer.

This area no longer works for me, so I'm moving on to greener pastures. You stay and enjoy the drizzle and the I-5 construction.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:22 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,744 times
I chuckle when adults say.."Im leaving this city, because I cant make friends!!! "And its because of the type of people (insert psycological flaw here) that live there!!" ....then its always followed with.."Im going back home where I grew up and people are friendly" Well of course you are.....

Tell me you dont like the weather
Tell me you cant find a job
Tell me you cant park on a hill....Those I will agree with to some degree, but to move from a city because you cant make friends. That one I will have to ask if its really something to post as a negative issue with the city or yourself? I'm sure many people have made wonderful friends in the same environment.
I hope we can all find the place were we are meant to be.....

Old 08-10-2007, 10:33 PM

77 posts, read 340,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
I chuckle when adults say.."Im leaving this city, because I cant make friends!!! "And its because of the type of people (insert psycological flaw here) that live there!!" ....then its always followed with.."Im going back home where I grew up and people are friendly" Well of course you are.....

Tell me you dont like the weather
Tell me you cant find a job
Tell me you cant park on a hill....Those I will agree with to some degree, but to move from a city because you cant make friends. That one I will have to ask if its really something to post as a negative issue with the city or yourself? I'm sure many people have made wonderful friends in the same environment.
I hope we can all find the place were we are meant to be.....

Sounds like a solid #5, with a hint of #7

Old 08-10-2007, 10:49 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,744 times
Well I was shooting for a #7...please tell me what I can do to improve my score??? But I will take the #5 and.......Huh????
Please if you have a fun scoring system...tell me where I can read the rules, so I can play along too!!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:10 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,676 times
OK its the end of the day and let me tell you...... It never broke 70 degree's today! Unheard of hear in Jersey IN AUGUST! But it was the most ESQUISET (spelling) day I can remember in the summer in a long time! So I can anticipate my future summers in Seattle for a long time!!

You guys got no idea !!!!!!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 PM

355 posts, read 990,765 times
Well, I have lived in alot of different places and can have a gripe or two about all of them. But I don't think you will find your "perfect paradise" anywhere these days. Every city has issues with traffic now...the roads were not built to handle the population that now travels them. So there is constant construction. And people seem to be in too big of a hurry to really make connections with others....it's hard enough keeping up with old friends and even family these days let alone new friends. All this emailing, instant messaging and text messaging can keep you in touch faster but, at the same time, keeps putting you further apart (the personal touch is gone). And as far as passive-agressive types (I know a few)...it's just their way of hiding their own insecurities...they are just too scared to be up front...confrontation freaks them out. But the big picture is that you will find all the bull**** that comes along with life in cities all over. And as far as weather is concerend...there will always be too hot, too cold, too snowy, too rainy, too humid, too dry wherever you live. In today's society...so few people actually stay in one place forever..we are a very mobile society...love where you are or follow your heart to wherever makes you the most comfortable...but remember that nothing is perfect...it's what you make out of it. And sometimes it's real hard to go home again (where ever that is) cause it's almost a certain there has been changes there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area