Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM

224 posts, read 405,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
You were born and raised in Florida? Where in FL. I live in Miami and currently in Seattle where I will be spending most of my summer; well at least until the end of July.

So far these cloudy and cool days have not bothered me. Maybe because I really haven't experienced for months And months. I would much rather be out walking/jogging in this type of weather than in 90 degrees in Miami. Maybe if I experienced temps in the 40s-50s with constant clouds for many months I may have a different opinion. For now though, I will enjoy these cool temps and not depend on AC to feel comfortable.
North Florida near Jax. I even lived in South Fla in Ft.Lauderdale for 6 years up until 2006.

Yes, enjoy it while you are there.

I loved the 'cool' to 'cold' days coming from all of this heat almost year round, loved it!

I really am not a heat person and have not figured out how I have managed to live here in all of this heat for so long. Well, I complain a lot about it that is for sure..You would think I am use to it by now, I have never gotten use to it, I have always preferred the cold weather.

Exactly! It is much more comfortable to walk and be outside in that environment than here. You have to stay indoors a lot here to stay cool, unless it is 'winter time'. I look forward to the winters here, at least in North Fla we get a bit cooler than down in Ft.Laud/Miama area.

It was totally miserable down there after a while for me, it is even hotter down south than up here.

I remember it being in the 50-60's a lot in Seattle and that was perfect. I realized that 60 degrees there is not the same as 60 degrees here, well to me there was a difference.. I even loved when it got colder in the winter, I had NO complaints let me tell you. The winters on this coast up north are much COLDER than over that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 11:28 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
............For anyone considering the move up here, fly out in January or, Feb or May (it really doesn't matter) and try to enjoy some the of the excellent sites the PNW has to offer when its 45 and drizzling. If you can handle that day in and day out, congratulations, you're cut out for the PNW.
I'm considering a move up there, and I was just up there 14-20 May for another scouting trip. Before that I visited in November 2008 and October 2010. I've seen far more decent weather than I have bad weather. It kind of ticks me off. I've intentionally avoided the summer months in the hope of seeing the bad weather. On this last trip, May 14-16 was grey with mizzle, frequent sun breaks, and some showers. Temps seemed to be in the high 50s. Me and my party assumed it gets much worse because we all thought the gray and mizzle really wasn't that bad. May 17-20 was gorgeous.

Moral to the story is this... if the people up there want good weather they can help fund my move to Seattle I seem to bring good weather with me.

We'll probably move up there next spring and rent for a year to try it out.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:50 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times
Quote:
Sat 06/04 78 50 0.00 Sunny 9.5 20 N
And what is a partly cloudy day? It's usually sunny with clouds. The US definition is 30-70% cloud cover. A lot of those partly cloudy days are gorgeous. The hours of sunshine is much more accurate.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:04 PM

287 posts, read 738,736 times
Quote:
I lived my entire life in California (Sonoma, Orange County, LA, Marin) before moving to Seattle two years ago. We have one more year to go and we're counting the days until we can go back permanently. My wife and I both regret the day we moved up here. We don't mind the rain or the cold. Its the months of interrupted gray that really gets to us. The lack of natural light is mind numbing. We made an effort to fly back to California, Arizona or Mexico as often as possible or drive east of the Cascades on the weekends where its usually dry an sunny by comparison. The funny thing is I spent my entire life trying to avoid the sun (skin cancer in the family) and now I've become a junkie for it. I also developed an uncontrollable addiction to coffee but apparently I'm one of the lucky ones because the very popular alternative is Prozac or one of its many competitors.
Some people seem to take this weather in stride by saying the 9 months of gray are worth the gorgeous summers. I wish I could share their optimism. Summer is gorgeous in a lot of places but I've never had to put up with so much dreary misery just to enjoy 1 day in the sun. And most of the time it comes in the middle of the week when I'm stuck in Seattle traffic (which by the way is worse than the Bay Area and up there with the LA). Even Marin and Sonoma which get their fair share of rain usually clear up as soon as the rain stops. Not here.
For anyone considering the move up here, fly out in January or, Feb or May (it really doesn't matter) and try to enjoy some the of the excellent sites the PNW has to offer when its 45 and drizzling. If you can handle that day in and day out, congratulations, you're cut out for the PNW.
Sorry to hear that NW is not for you. Apparently you moved here two years ago, when below average weather started = below average temps, lots lots lots more clouds, more rain and rain days. Honestly you've seen the Seattle weather at the worst, it cannot get any worse. Imagine an average year, it will be a bit better, let alone above average.... But sorry to hear that it's not for you. At least you tried.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 5 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
And what is a partly cloudy day? It's usually sunny with clouds. The US definition is 30-70% cloud cover. A lot of those partly cloudy days are gorgeous. The hours of sunshine is much more accurate.
No.
Most of the time partly cloudy feels more cloudy than it feels sunny, especially in Seattle and especially when they show it for the weather forecast. Too many times, partly cloudy feels too similar to an actual cloudy day.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:59 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times
Well spring is over, and in my area near Olympia, which I assume had a similar numbers to Seattle here was what our spring was like:

Daily high temperatures for spring 2011

Below average: 72 days

Average: 4 days

Above average: 17 days

Ugh. Good riddance to this awful spring and here is hoping for a better summer.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,323,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Well spring is over, and in my area near Olympia, which I assume had a similar numbers to Seattle here was what our spring was like:

Daily high temperatures for spring 2011

Below average: 72 days

Average: 4 days

Above average: 17 days

Ugh. Good riddance to this awful spring and here is hoping for a better summer.
Yup, it SUCKED.

Ken

Old 06-21-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
No.
Most of the time partly cloudy feels more cloudy than it feels sunny, especially in Seattle and especially when they show it for the weather forecast. Too many times, partly cloudy feels too similar to an actual cloudy day.
I am not talking about forecast. I am talking about statistics.

June 17 (Friday) - 70% cloud cover - it was a gorgeous day
June 16 - 60% - it was very sunny
June 6 - 80% - that was a mostly cloudy day according to the official stats but it was actually one of the best in June.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:11 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I am not talking about forecast. I am talking about statistics.

June 17 (Friday) - 70% cloud cover - it was a gorgeous day
June 16 - 60% - it was very sunny
June 6 - 80% - that was a mostly cloudy day according to the official stats but it was actually one of the best in June.
I agree, Friday was a very nice day.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:31 AM

Today was a partly cloudy day... no comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area