Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 05:22 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You're exactly right. There's a difference between climate and weather fro sure.

When I was in Seattle last year, it was 87 my second day there. I know it hit 103 in Seattle last July. I was hoping for some cooler weather but didn't get it. The air was much drier though.
Yeah, I've lived in Seattle for nearly 40 years now (arrived here my first year of college) and if - prior to last year - ANYONE had told me we'd hit 103 here in Seattle I'd have told them they were nuts. That's hotter than it's been on my land in SE Arizona anytime over the last 5 years (at least).

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 07:40 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,382 times
Quote:
I must have that condition too if it exist. I don't like it sunny all the time either and certainly not too warm. I lose my energy and become completely inactive. I'd kill to have any sort of damp weather right now. In Seattle it seems one never has to go too long without it.
I kind of agree with you on the weather, although how you deal with it depends a lot on what type of life you lead. The more active you are, the easier it is to deal with either hot or cold weather, IMO.

At the end of the day though I'd love to have 60's. I think that's about perfect. I'm always heading over to San Francisco to get the cool sea breeze, the fog, and the wind. I love the Seattle mist and the clouds on a cool day. That is part of the cities' charm and uniqueness to me.

Of course it easy to be charmed when you don't have to spend every day in it. I'm trying to give it a shot though for at least a year to see for myself. . . . .tough economy so far to make a move.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:59 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post
I kind of agree with you on the weather, although how you deal with it depends a lot on what type of life you lead. The more active you are, the easier it is to deal with either hot or cold weather, IMO.

At the end of the day though I'd love to have 60's. I think that's about perfect. I'm always heading over to San Francisco to get the cool sea breeze, the fog, and the wind. I love the Seattle mist and the clouds on a cool day. That is part of the cities' charm and uniqueness to me.

Of course it easy to be charmed when you don't have to spend every day in it. I'm trying to give it a shot though for at least a year to see for myself. . . . .tough economy so far to make a move.
Well growing up in Berkeley, I know about overcast and gloomy skies that can last forever and there, it's always accompanied by a nutcutter of a wind. Perhaps this is why I like it cool.

I agree with you up to a point about how one deals with weather. When heat makes you physically sick, you can deal with it however you want, you'll still be sick. I am a fairly active person myself but I know that it doesn't solve everything.

I am also one who doesn't mind the dark and I actually don't much like brightness. I guess to each their own. San Francisco does get it's share of cloudy days too. In fact, the sunset is arguably cloudier than Seattle.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:24 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Well growing up in Berkeley, I know about overcast and gloomy skies that can last forever and there, it's always accompanied by a nutcutter of a wind. Perhaps this is why I like it cool.

I agree with you up to a point about how one deals with weather. When heat makes you physically sick, you can deal with it however you want, you'll still be sick. I am a fairly active person myself but I know that it doesn't solve everything.

I am also one who doesn't mind the dark and I actually don't much like brightness. I guess to each their own. San Francisco does get it's share of cloudy days too. In fact, the sunset is arguably cloudier than Seattle.
Yeah, much as I consider San Francisco to be a FABULOUS city in many many ways (perhaps my favorite American city) the weather there is (in my opinion) EVEN WORSE than that found in Seattle.

Ken

Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,705,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post
And we've hit 100's in the last week here in Sac lol. Not trying to depress you, but I adapted to the heat after hating it with a passion my first two years here. Now, I actually like it. Couldn't Seattle be the same for you?

I've recently begun to think that getting consistent exercise (cardio specifically) is really important to helping the body deal with extreme forms of weather. I've been jogging 3-4 mi per day here the past couple of months and I noticed that it at least feels as though my body deals with the heat much better now. I don't sweat as much outside as I used too because my body is not working as hard to do normal things, and my temperature regulates better. I also feel as though possilbly my blood has thinned out a little.

Maybe in Seattle exercise would help by getting your endorphins kicing and upping your seratonin levels, and increasing your energy and metabolism during those long winter days. Then maybe the weather may begin to take a backseat to the other things in your life you enjoy. Any thoughts?

I think there is a tradeoff anywhere when it comes to weather. You have to make the most of it and try to engage in activities that go hand in hand with the climate. In Sacramento, it's water skiing or swimming. Maybe in Seattle it's enjoying a lush green park, going on a ferry ride during a rainy day, or playing indoor soccer or some type of winter sport. You have to adapt some way.
I appreciate your concern. But I've been very fortunate to move back to Calif, 5 and a half years was plenty of Seattle for me.

I also am a very active person (hiking, biking, camping etc). Plus I went to the gym on my lunches at least 3 times a week.

In Calif, I bike ride and hike and go to the River a few times a week too. BUt in Seattle - I hated it. Any weather under 75 and I wasn't out in it.

Plus - do you have kids? I hate when people without kids on this board tell me to "just get out" - My time is sucked away from me, and I have to entertain my kids (a baby and a 7 year old), but also, feed them, clean up after them, change diapers, brush all the teeth, bathe them, and every second is taken from me to go into the great outdoors and enjoy myself. All the things I have to carry just to get out the door and go to Starbucks is a big production. so "Just get out for a walk around Greenlake" is exhausting.

But that's my issue. Now all I need to do is garden in the sunshine of my backyard and I'm good.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I appreciate your concern. But I've been very fortunate to move back to Calif, 5 and a half years was plenty of Seattle for me.

I also am a very active person (hiking, biking, camping etc). Plus I went to the gym on my lunches at least 3 times a week.

In Calif, I bike ride and hike and go to the River a few times a week too. BUt in Seattle - I hated it. Any weather under 75 and I wasn't out in it.

Plus - do you have kids? I hate when people without kids on this board tell me to "just get out" - My time is sucked away from me, and I have to entertain my kids (a baby and a 7 year old), but also, feed them, clean up after them, change diapers, brush all the teeth, bathe them, and every second is taken from me to go into the great outdoors and enjoy myself. All the things I have to carry just to get out the door and go to Starbucks is a big production. so "Just get out for a walk around Greenlake" is exhausting.

But that's my issue. Now all I need to do is garden in the sunshine of my backyard and I'm good.
While I usually laugh at your posts, I find myself agreeing with a lot of what you said here. Not everyone can just adapt to any kind of weather. For you it's cool weather, for me it's heat. I dislike temps over 75 most of the time.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:41 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,382 times
Quote:

No kids for me. That changes everything. I know plenty of people that feel the same way as you about Washington weather. I've split my life in both places, so I adapted to extreme cold weather in Spokane (below zero on some days) and 100+ degree heat in Sacramento. I've taken trips to Seattle with several friends from Cali, and they always think it's "freezing" at about 60 degrees. It's hillarious to see the people in Sac bundle up and complain about the "extremes" here LOL. "Extremely" cold to them is 50%. That is T-shirt weather IMO.

I guess at least now you know what type of climate suites you best if you were to ever move again.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:11 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,830,745 times
Quote:

Amen to that! I remember trying to hike in Seattle with my toddler and he started screaming and absolutely refused to go on and I ended up carrying him the rest of the hike in the pouring rain. And I was pregnant. "Exhausting" is right!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:53 AM

304 posts, read 851,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
June is never a reliable summer like month here in the Seattle area...
Oh, stop complaining! It barely reached 70 degrees in L.A. today.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Amen to that! I remember trying to hike in Seattle with my toddler and he started screaming and absolutely refused to go on and I ended up carrying him the rest of the hike in the pouring rain. And I was pregnant. "Exhausting" is right!
Why would you go hiking with a toddler while pregnant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area