Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:54 PM

58 posts, read 111,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
I moved from OC to the Seattle area last June. I agree with 'homesinseattle.' Ballard, Phinney Ridge & I would add Greenwood are well worth checking out. They are very similar to Belmont Shore & Belmont Heights in Long Beach, California. Greenwood in particular seems to be going thru a re-vitalization, with young families updating (not McMansionizing) the California Bungelow style houses. It seems it's a quick 15-20 minutes to anywhere from these areas. My cousin has been living in Bellevue since the early '90's & says it's very Republican. I am living in Shoreline, which is a city just north of Seattle in King County. I'm renting until I decide where I want to buy. It's sort of non-descript, quiet, pretty. I can't help you with the schools other than to say I have heard Ballard schools are good. Hope that helps a little?
How do you compare Seattle to OC. Do you miss the sunny OC weather? I always have this feeling that I won't miss it at all. But then again this is all I have ever known in life. I do like the rain... But its a huge move for us.... Scaaaaary!! What part of the OC did you live? We live in San Clemente and CANNOT wait to get out. It is way to conservative for us. I did hear that Bellevue is a little more conservative than Seattle. But cannot possible be as crazy as where we currently live. We really are looking for a spot that is centrally located and we can be in the city or back home in 10 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Bellevue once was very Republican, but not any longer. They're still around, but Bellevue went for Obama, and John Kerry before him, and Al Gore before him. They've elected Democrats to the State legislature( though they have Republicans too.
It's a bastion of conservativism compared to Seattle, but probably not compared to San Clemente.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
It's a bastion of conservativism compared to Seattle, but probably not compared to San Clemente.
nothing compares to san clemente! It is the lions den of conservative people. Nixon's Western White House is 2 miles from my home. rain vs. conservative environment... Rain wins hands down! And I guess I should really define what I hate about it here..... What I hate is when you mix fake blonde hair, bling bling, bmw's, mercedes, plastic boobs, butts and lips, conservatives and overly religious people. it just seems to be a bad combo! Seriously watch 3 episodes of Orange County Housewives and you will see what we live with everyday. That show is so spot on it's not even funny! The sad thing is that all these people think it's sooo cool when it's just gross!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:38 PM

768 posts, read 718,180 times
Default Why I Like The Seattle Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeseattle View Post
How do you compare Seattle to OC. Do you miss the sunny OC weather? I always have this feeling that I won't miss it at all. But then again this is all I have ever known in life. I do like the rain... But its a huge move for us.... Scaaaaary!! What part of the OC did you live? We live in San Clemente and CANNOT wait to get out. It is way to conservative for us. I did hear that Bellevue is a little more conservative than Seattle. But cannot possible be as crazy as where we currently live. We really are looking for a spot that is centrally located and we can be in the city or back home in 10 minutes.
I lived in Seal Beach for the past 29 years. It's a great little town. I was just ready for a change and when my 13 year old grandson moved to Seattle, so did I. Now So Cal seems brown, dirty and dead in a way. I still have family there and, in fact, continue to be a home owner, although I rent out my house. San Clemente was adorable in the 1960's - early '70's. It's so McMansionized, so snobby and so drug-user filled, I don't blame you for wanting to leave.

I moved here June 15th so most of the time so far has been sunny. It's only become overcast in the last 3 days. I have been here to visit in October, December, January and May. I don't mind the rain at all as long as there is a sunny summer as there was this year. My cousiin says most people don't like the gloomy gray for 3 - 4 months. I have yet to experience that.

I wouldn't worry about the neighbors. Some are friendly, some don't talk to you at all. Either way, everyone seems to mind their own business.

What I do like about the Seattle area is: Everywhere you go, you're in the forest (or so it seerms), it's beautiful scenery all the time, the Puget Sound, Lake Washington & many other lakes are all around and easily accessed, the people here are more cerebral (so sick of the surfer mentality in So Cal), there is traffic here but nothing compared to the 405 North on EACH and EVERY weekday afternoon heading to Long Beach, the drivers are polite - no tailgaiting, no rushing up ahead of everyone just because they can (my cousin says, "We que up very well"), there are so many places to see and things to do that are nearby.

I just spent 3 days in the San Juan Islands. We drove about an hour, maybe a little more (no traffic), took a 50 minute ferry ride (which to me is still fun and exciting because you see so much and I love being on the water) and we were there. Exploring San Juan Island was great. It's natural, beautiful, not populated, just refreshing.

I am impressed at how active and in-shape people in Seattle are! Cyclists abound, including taking the ferry to peninsulas & islands. You would think with how mountainous it is here that wouldn't be the case. It's not one of those communities where people stay inside all winter and get fat. Very encouraging!

Capitol Hill is known for it's gay community, to be blunt. Ballard, Phinney Ridge & Fremont are sort of hippy, freaky, don't mess with me, I'm who I am kind of areas of Seattle. Queen Anne is (in my opinion) for young adults who like the night life at their front door. Mercer Island is way, way expensive! But it is beautiful. You get to live on the water and in the mountains all at the same time while being 10 minutes from downtown Seattle. LaurelHurst is stunning. It's on Lake Washington with big, individualized homes on big lots. Those right on the lake have smaller yards, but have boat slips. I'm looking at Blue Ridge & Richmond if I decide to buy. They are both facing the Puget Sound with unbelievable views! Blue Ridge is west of Greenlake. Richmond is west of Shoreline. Many of the homes are one-story ranch style. Very few, if any, McMansionized places yet.

Winter sports here are easily accessible. It's a 50 minute drive from Greenlake to Snoqualmie. It's right off the freeway, no mountainous turns and no traffic. We went snowboarding last winter during winter break, on a Saturday. It was not crowded at all! Unbelievable! Nothing like California.

I know this is long, but hope it helps. I encourage you to rent for a year and then decide. You will have your own view on the areas here. Good Luck. I'd love to meet you when you move.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
nothing compares to san clemente! It is the lions den of conservative people. Nixon's Western White House is 2 miles from my home. rain vs. conservative environment... Rain wins hands down! And I guess I should really define what I hate about it here..... What I hate is when you mix fake blonde hair, bling bling, bmw's, mercedes, plastic boobs, butts and lips, conservatives and overly religious people. it just seems to be a bad combo! Seriously watch 3 episodes of Orange County Housewives and you will see what we live with everyday. That show is so spot on it's not even funny! The sad thing is that all these people think it's sooo cool when it's just gross!
I'm laughing at your fake blonde hair, plastic boobs comments because of a conversation I recently had with my cousin. I said I've noticed a lot of women here have that librarian, short hair, conservatively dressed, well educated look. She said she hadn't noticed it probably because she's from here. But she did notice many women with the blonde hair and big boobs when she visitied Southern California a few years ago. Very funny! BYW, I agree with you in that they think it's so cool when in reality it is truly gross and speaks volumes of their mental capacity. So sad, really.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,851,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
Now So Cal seems brown, dirty and dead in a way.
THIS! It's so weird, after living in CA for most of my life, I used to think that places like the IE were brown and disgusting, but after living in WA, places like Irvine (where I mostly grew up), seem brown and dry, and just soulless.

I love the natural beauty here. I always joke that I live in the fairy-f*ing forest, because it's like something out of a fairytale. I just want to put on a white flowy dress and run through the forest looking for unicorns. LOL It's funny, because you'll drive somewhere, and you make a turn and it looks like you're driving into the wilderness, but then there's a stripmall behind the trees.

Everyday I'm awestruck by the natural beauty here. It just surrounds you. Not saying that CA doesn't have some natural beauty, but you usually have to drive to find it.

V. =)

Old 10-17-2012, 01:54 AM

Default Enchanted Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
THIS! It's so weird, after living in CA for most of my life,

V. =)
The Inland Empire IS brown & pretty much disgusting. As a child, I lived in La Verne. It was at a time when there used to be a lot of orange and lemon groves. The population was 7,000. Now, it's about 35,000 and there are no groves left. I get the 'Inland' part but have no idea why it's called an 'Empire.' As soon as I could, I moved to the beach. But now that's not even appealing. I think your word, 'soulless' pretty much sums it up.

I know what you mean about streets that look like you're heading into the forest... and sometimes they turn into a freeway on-ramp! Enchanting! Like you, every day I'm in awe of this place!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:29 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,513 times
I'm a native Southern Californian moving to Seattle in a few weeks. For the Eastside, I found Kirkland/Juanita had such a cool vibe. If we ever lived on that side, that's definitely where I would choose. We looked at some gorgeous open houses there in your price range, as well.

If you can stretch that budget a bit, I suggest north of Capitol Hill (Montlake and Madison Park, in particular) in the city. Drive around there for an afternoon with the colorful leaves falling and the sun setting around these jaw-dropping houses, and I swear you'll end up signing a contract that day. :-) Seemed very gay-friendly, too, from what I could tell.

Good luck!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 AM

I love Montlake. I checked that area out last August.... Nice homes! But they seem to be on top of each other. I need a little bigger of a home. Unless I was in the wrong neighborhood. I'll be driving through again this week. I'm thinking i'm going to concentrate on Bellevue. I researched the schooling and it seems from what I found to have the best schools. I really must say that it's very difficult coming from Southern California to visit Seattle. The problem I'm having is that I could almost live anywhere in Seattle. It's sooooo pretty! Whereas SoCal is a desert and brown and ugly..... unless you live at the beach.

I can't wait to move!!!! seattle here I come..... ummm.. well soon!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:41 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Quote:
I love Montlake. I checked that area out last August.... Nice homes! But they seem to be on top of each other. I need a little bigger of a home. Unless I was in the wrong neighborhood. I'll be driving through again this week. I'm thinking i'm going to concentrate on Bellevue. I researched the schooling and it seems from what I found to have the best schools. I really must say that it's very difficult coming from Southern California to visit Seattle. The problem I'm having is that I could almost live anywhere in Seattle. It's sooooo pretty! Whereas SoCal is a desert and brown and ugly..... unless you live at the beach.

I can't wait to move!!!! seattle here I come..... ummm.. well soon!
It's not so much that the homes in Montlake are small, in fact some are quite large. But the lots tend to be really small, so the house next door is just a few feet away. Bellevue homes do tend to have larger lots.And based on all you've posted, seems like the place you should be looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area