Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:13 PM

58 posts, read 111,835 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are looking to relocate to Washington. Our preferred cities are Bellevue, Redmond, Woodinville and Kirkland. We are open to other areas as well. Suggestions appreciated! Also areas we should stay away from?

We are a gay couple with three kiddos. We have a 10 year old in elementary school and two babies. We are looking for an overall liberal and accepting area. A kid friendly neighborhood. We need excellent schools for our kids. We would like to spend between $600k - $850k. We are very open and proud of who we are which really doesn't work so well in Orange County, CA. We are super friendly and make friends easily. and lastly we'd like sunshine everyday (okay... that was a joke) Now I realize that we aren't going to get the perfect situation. But one can try! right?

any and all input is great...

Best regards,

David

Last edited by maybeseattle; 10-05-2012 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: forgot ending of title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
None of the cities you mentioned would be a problem, of them, Bellevue has the best schools but is the least liberal, though still not what I would consider conservative overall. Most of the Puget Sound region is very tolerant and all of King County is considered liberal. I would also consider Issaquah and Sammamish, where new construction has started up again, and you can find something new in your price range.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
None of the cities you mentioned would be a problem, of them, Bellevue has the best schools but is the least liberal, though still not what I would consider conservative overall. Most of the Puget Sound region is very tolerant and all of King County is considered liberal. I would also consider Issaquah and Sammamish, where new construction has started up again, and you can find something new in your price range.
Thank you for your input... I very much appreciate it..
I liked Sammamish. But, it did seem more conservative to me then Bellevue. Granted it is very kid friendly it is also a bit stepford. Am I off base here? or should i re-explore this area?

Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,855,614 times
Hey! I'm from OC myself. We lived in Issaquah when we first moved to WA. I liked the Issaquah Highlands, because there was something about it that reminded me of Irvine, where I grew up. Lots of parks, great schools, some walkability, cute downtown area, and close to shopping (Target and grocery stores). Also, easy Freeway access. It was Stepfordish like Irvine, though, and the people weren't friendly (in our opinion).

Parts of Kirkland are really cool. Redmond is great, with great schools. Woodinville has my favorite burger joint, and a cute little wine country.

Good luck with your search!

V. =)

Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
Sammamish does have a lot of very nice housing developments and they also have elected officials who are Republican. Bellevue is more liberal than Sammamish, in my opinion, and has a much larger population. Much more conservative than Seattle, but you're looking on the eastside because of....schools? Work location?
Kirkland's a pretty good choice. If newer construction wasn't an issue, or the need to be on the eastside, there are some nice parts of Seattle itself with very good schools, like Laurelhurst and View Ridge. And if you're thinking about Woodinville and Redmond, Duvall is really pretty. Good schools, hasn't gotten really expensive yet, pastoral views, but a little further out. And still just a little bit artsy/hippie.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:54 PM

Ira500 and VeronikaW... Thank you both very much! Love the input.

I am not looking for new construction.... Even tho it would be nice! I like new... I also like shiny! (the shiny part is the OC in me... hopefully I'll lose that once i move)

We are mainly moving because we want a change of life. As far as work is concerned... that is not an issue. So we can live anywhere.

My main concern is nice people, great schools and a kind friendly environment along with ACCEPTANCE! So Seattle is good... But it is good for my kids? I do tend to lean towards Bellevue... But, still not so sure what and where to be. I'll be visiting at the end of October for a few days. Then again in November for Thanksgiving. I plan on coming up every month for at least a few days until I find the perfect spot to call home!

Old 10-06-2012, 06:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Seattle school District management has ongoing issues, and other than a few in Ballard, Magnolia, Madison Park and Queen Anne the schools are not nearly as good as the eastside.
I've been in Sammamish 20 years and find the Stepford comments laughable. Thanksgiving is sometimes a bad time to be here as far as weather, so be prepared. We have had our celebration interrupted 3-4 times by either a big damaging windstorm or snow.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 AM

17 posts, read 37,845 times
What about Mercer Island? At my child's old public school on the island he had 3 kids in his class with gay parents. No one cared, or batted an eye. In fact, there were several gay couples at the school in general. I don't find Mercer Island to be conservative at all. You might want to check it out. It will be in the top of your price range. The island is very close to Bellevue and Seattle

Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Helmlock140 and Just Mom.... Thank you two for the posting! I love getting the insight from different people.. truly helpful.

I'm coming up every month to really get a feel for the weather. So honestly I hope its bad or at it's worst when I'm there. I want a true PNW weather experience. mmmm turkey and windstorms sounds deelish! lol

When you say the sammamish stepford comment is laughable... can you elaborate? When I visited Sammamish (maybe i was in the wrong part) it was a few strip malls and predominately new homes. But please tell me I'm wrong.... I'd love to re-explore

I did look at Mercer Island. We are putting that on our list of areas to check out. I would love to be closer to Bellevue and Seattle. We like to go out to dinner and do the city thing quite often.... yet not be to far from home. We can spend more... but are very comfortable in the price range I gave.... Comfortable is nice... But a nice home is great too!

Thank you all for the postings!

Old 10-06-2012, 11:13 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
You wouldn't necessarily get a nice home on Mercer Island for 600-850k. It's a place with pricey homes, and what you would find there would be older. Which is what a lot of people want. I still say you should consider parts of the city of Seattle itself in addition to other places mentioned. The NE parts of Seattle have schools that are every bit as good as the eastside's. Neighborhoods like Laurelhurst, View Ridge, Wedgwood. View Ridge feels like a suburb, although it's in the city.
Oh, and I totally agree with Hemlock. The Seattle school district seems to be always jumping from one crisis to another at the top levels, but certain schools always continue to be very good as a result of good teachers, active parents, etc. despite the incompetence or corruption or whatever else is going on at the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area