Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:26 PM

83 posts, read 247,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
DP79, Definitely much smaller, but not exactly podunk. I came from Lincoln, Nebraska- Lincoln has about 300,000 people and there were about a million people within a 60 mile radius.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
I'm from Fargo, LOL

Anything other than siberia is an upgrade - which I am grateful for! And as per the Dallas post, perception creates reality...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 01:57 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaukne View Post
I'm from Fargo, LOL

Anything other than siberia is an upgrade - which I am grateful for! And as per the Dallas post, perception creates reality...
Very true. I think that's why when we're on vacation, the place we're visiting is "the most awesome place EVER"...and then they post on CD and ask what's it like to live there and all the natives say "it's not the same". Your perception changes as you change.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:09 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Wow, I don't even know where to begin but still feel compelled to post.

You know, I live in the Dallas area and as others from Texas have pointed out, it's hot here. It's dang hot. And yes, you walk outside in the summer and start sweating immediately. I would LOVE to move away...but when someone wants to move here? You'd think I worked for the Tourism Bureau. I start thinking of all the wonderful things Dallas has to offer and how some people REALLY enjoy the heat and all the city has to offer. I personally, really want to move to Seattle.

OP, I can appreciate that it wasn't for you, but please note that some folks really DO like that weather...or all the little quirks that make that city individual. I can apply it to living in Texas. I would never trash Texas, although I bemoan the traffic all the time, but nor would I put down an entire city based on my experience. Like everything in life, perspectives change with...well, the person. It makes sense, yes? I may not always understand my friend who loves hanging out in the summer...outside of all places. WHO does that??? hehe...seriously though, to each their own.

As for the issues you have when you trash the place they live in? Well, what do you expect? Just like where I live, I get kinda pissy when someone trashes it...as if their experience makes the entire place what it is. So not the case...for anyone.
I grew up in DeSoto. Most of my high school classmates never left DFW and the majority of them RAVE about Texas. I have a few fb peeps that post pics of their land, labeling it as "God's country" (judging by the temps right now, I think I'd use descriptive words from the other end of the supernatural spectrum). I think they're nuts. All I can remember are the countless summer days spent in my living room because it was too hot to even be in my upstairs bedroom (even with central AC) and those killer summer marching band practices. October was downright lovely though... and having a t-shirts and brisket Thanksgiving was pretty nice. I guess it's not all that bad. The weather just doesn't get to me like humanistic factors such as lack of education.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:16 PM

146 posts, read 189,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
So I've been wanting to write a post like this for a while. I lived in Seattle for 8 years, hated almost every second of it (okay, only the last 6 years or so), and then moved away, to Chicago. I have been happier than I could ever imagine since moving away - the gloom, the doom, the feeling of being on a COMPLETELY different page than everyone else has completely dissipated. I'm back to the real world again, and I feel alive... It's GREAT!
It just proves one more time that weather is 100% subjective thing - I lived in Chicago for 2 years, and hated the city all that time primarily because of the weather - cold Siberia style winters with mostly no sunny days, humid short summers, AND the "best" part - constant strong winds which make you feel you live in that wind tunnel they used to test airplanes!
Not to mention complete lack of any nature to go out, besides that dirty cold lake, dirty smelly downtown filled with homeless folks, gun shots almost daily (downtown) etc, etc..

Old 06-27-2013, 07:20 PM

305 posts, read 450,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaukne View Post
I'm from Fargo, LOL

Haha I hear ya. If Chicago didn't have so much culture and so many buildings, I'd feel the same way!

See? This is all reasonable, relaxed discussion about where you live and the various ills that come along with it. I don't understand why Seattlites gotta get all militant about weather complaints... But oh well, I wasn't expecting to anyway. Good luck people!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:37 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Haha I hear ya. If Chicago didn't have so much culture and so many buildings, I'd feel the same way!

See? This is all reasonable, relaxed discussion about where you live and the various ills that come along with it. I don't understand why Seattlites gotta get all militant about weather complaints... But oh well, I wasn't expecting to anyway. Good luck people!
It's interesting that you live in Chicago but have never posted on the Chicago boards. Ever. All your posts are complaints on the Seattle board. Over and over and, like a few other posters, you just can't move on. If Chicago is so great, why the obsession with trying to convince Seattleites how happy you are? Maybe you just can't quit us.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It's interesting that you live in Chicago but have never posted on the Chicago boards. Ever. All your posts are complaints on the Seattle board. Over and over and, like a few other posters, you just can't move on. If Chicago is so great, why the obsession with trying to convince Seattleites how happy you are? Maybe you just can't quit us.
Oh God dude, I just moved here 6 months ago. All I know is Seattle, I lived there for 8 years. Why don't you get off my a**? I've posted on like 5 threads on this stupid site, unlike your 1,900 posts. I think you have issues or no job or something.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Oh God dude, I just moved here 6 months ago. All I know is Seattle, I lived there for 8 years. Why don't you get off my a**? I've posted on like 5 threads on this stupid site, unlike your 1,900 posts. I think you have issues or no job or something.
Your posts are all the same. Read them. If you love Chicago, why keep coming to the Seattle board telling us about how much you hated Seattle? Enjoy your new city of Chicago.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
OK, hon, time to break the ties with Seattle, and to become a Chicagoan!

Old 06-27-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
OK, hon, time to break the ties with Seattle, and to become a Chicagoan!
There's no ties to break. I lived in Seattle, I wasn't married to it. And I lived there for a long muthaeffin' time - why am I not allowed to visit the City Data site for it and offer my opinion? You guys have it locked down or something??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area