Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:44 AM

231 posts, read 587,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I'm sure this has been mentioned, but Seattle is not the #1 suicide city. Las Vegas is #1, Colorado Springs and Tucson are in the top 3. Washington State is in the middle of the pack.
The Vegas ranking is a inaccurate (and always will be). It tracks people that commit suicide but not residents who commit. Alot of people head to Vegas on their last leg hoping they will win it big or land that valet job that pays $100,000. When it doesnt happen then have nowhere to go and end it. Im sure some of the people that "end it" came from Seattle! LOL!

Its been said before--Take your vitamin D pills, work out, excercise and stay busy with friends and family and you wont have thoughts of suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 12:00 PM

512 posts, read 1,184,265 times
Damn, Seattle is such a nice city, if somebody thinks of suicide, move to Chicago for some period of time, then you'll appreciate Seattle when you get back over there..

Old 09-20-2010, 12:00 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
You don't have to be depressed to be suicidal, and you don't have to be suicidal to be depressed.
It takes a certain intensity to want to commit suicide, a certain energy. I think much more common in Seattle is the " Stay inside and mope" variety of depression .

Old 09-20-2010, 03:27 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
You don't have to be depressed to be suicidal, and you don't have to be suicidal to be depressed.
It takes a certain intensity to want to commit suicide, a certain energy. I think much more common in Seattle is the " Stay inside and mope" variety of depression .
Or what was my case: the "everyone is depressed and acts depressing and oh god now Im depressed" kind.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:50 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANative View Post
The Vegas ranking is a inaccurate (and always will be). It tracks people that commit suicide but not residents who commit. Alot of people head to Vegas on their last leg hoping they will win it big or land that valet job that pays $100,000. When it doesnt happen then have nowhere to go and end it. Im sure some of the people that "end it" came from Seattle! LOL!

Its been said before--Take your vitamin D pills, work out, excercise and stay busy with friends and family and you wont have thoughts of suicide.
Not quite accurate. Depression is linked to chemical imbalances in the brain. All the things you suggest are good ideas, but none are guarantees against suicidal thoughts. I'm not a big advocate of medication, but it is treatable with the right prescription.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,080 times
It is the gloomiest,most passive agressive,non speaking, mostly typing city I have ever lived.Grey and ugly and if they do have a highsuicide rate, which i am sure they do.They will not admit it. Bad Weather,
Bad people,horrible.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:03 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
Most typing city? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? What does it mean? Are we a city full of secretaries?

Old 02-04-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Vannelli View Post
It is the gloomiest,most passive agressive,non speaking, mostly typing city I have ever lived.Grey and ugly and if they do have a highsuicide rate, which i am sure they do.They will not admit it. Bad Weather,
Bad people,horrible.
"...they will not admit it"...

Hilarious.

Love your generalizations. First post and this is what you contribute?

Non-speaking?

Mostly typing?

Your transmission is garbled. Please do not resend.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Most typing city? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? What does it mean? Are we a city full of secretaries?
Sorry Ira, like stewardesses who are now flight attendants, there are no secretaries any more..."administrative assistants" if you please!

Old 02-04-2011, 03:25 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
When assessing suicide rates you also need to consider culture and religious values (or lack thereof) surrounding suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area