Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 03:50 PM

314 posts, read 460,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Because Blackhawk 4440 posted a video link to a Gay Pride event on Capitol Hill turning violent. There wasn't violence there against children. I haven't ever suggested that Capitol Hill was an unsafe place to raise a kid, in fact I've been arguing the opposite. That I mentioned it was in the context of the video link, that some people, assuming incorrectly, might hold the view that an area with a high gay population would be unsafe for kids. I do not personally hold those views, and personally don't believe that neighborhoods with large gay populations are less safe for kids than anywhere else, nor are gay folk any more likely to kidnap or molest children. I was not presenting my own view when I said it. But you know that some ignoramuses are going to believe that by living in an area that has a high gay population, they are putting their kids in danger.
Got it. Apologies.

And as I noted to Mr BlackhawkSuperHomophobe - the video wasn't even taken on Capitol Hill. From the buildings in the background on the video, it might not even be in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 04:06 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueInSeattle View Post
To each his own. I want my kids to grow up around kids who aren't just white and middle class.
Oh, so you're leaving Seattle?

Old 06-19-2014, 04:16 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,842 times
Guys that Gay Pride video is from taken on the lawn in front of the Space Needle/Seattle Center (no matter what anyone else says). That area can be dubbed North Belltown or Lower Queen Anne depending on who you ask (I go with the latter). I know several families in the area and Hempfest is much more of a concern than the gay pride stuff.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:17 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueInSeattle View Post

And as I noted to Mr BlackhawkSuperHomophobe - the video wasn't even taken on Capitol Hill. From the buildings in the background on the video, it might not even be in Seattle.
Yes it was. Komo has covered this:

Street Preachers Attacked At Seattle Gay Pride Pa…: http://youtu.be/k_WgP2dyeN8

I can't hear what's being said, but one of the buildings look like the one across the Space Needle (the news building).

Old 06-19-2014, 05:11 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
When we visited the second time we stayed in one of the huge Victorians in Capitol Hill. My kids loved it and we thought the area was beautiful. I could see living in certain parts of Capitol Hill. But I don't agree with posters who say kids who grow up outside of the city are less cultured, socially aware or somehow "less than." That's just silly.
It may be silly, but it was pretty common for kids growing up on the Eastside.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:21 PM

555 posts, read 803,429 times
OP:
I hope what this thread has illustrated most is, that while Capitol Hill might be the best place for childish behavior from the adult local population; it's not so good for raising normal kids.

Anyway, check out the Eastside neighborhoods in the meantime---you'll probably find it better.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:18 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
OP:
I hope what this thread has illustrated most is, that while Capitol Hill might be the best place for childish behavior from the adult local population; it's not so good for raising normal kids.

Anyway, check out the Eastside neighborhoods in the meantime---you'll probably find it better.
All you've illustrated is how to put your foot so far in your mouth that practically the entire Seattle forum scolds you for your inappropriate comments.

Anyway, this bickering has gone on far too long. Considering that I actually live in Cap Hill and daily see mothers on walks with their children or pushing strollers, and with the exuberant real estate located throughout the Hill, it really seems just as fine for raising a family as any. I know multiple $100,000+ household income couples who choose to raise their children on the Hill simply because they love it.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
Oh no, I'm a parent with kids in the dreaded Central District, never mind Capitol Hill! I guess I can kiss normalcy goodbye? Who defines normal anyway?

I suppose my kids are actually bi-cultural since we have two homes, in both the city and the suburbs. I wonder if there is a box I can check for that on forms?

ETA: OMG! It just occurred to me that we brought our kids - kids! - to the Gay Pride parade downtown last year. They are definitely, hopelessly, abnormal.

(Thank goodness.)

Last edited by fnh; 06-19-2014 at 07:01 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 08:23 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post

ETA: OMG! It just occurred to me that we brought our kids - kids! - to the Gay Pride parade downtown last year. They are definitely, hopelessly, abnormal.

(Thank goodness.)
You realize this all but guarantees you'll have a couple of Alex P. Keaton's on your hands.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 AM

314 posts, read 460,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yes it was. Komo has covered this:

Street Preachers Attacked At Seattle Gay Pride Pa…: Street Preachers Attacked At Seattle Gay Pride Parade - YouTube

I can't hear what's being said, but one of the buildings look like the one across the Space Needle (the news building).
So in other words, like I said, it was NOT taken in Capitol Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area