Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 10:04 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times

Advertisements

I recently received a ticket for solo driving in HOV lane and just wondered if anyone had successfully defended against this violation. For those who are now going to say what an idiot I am for driving there, and how much I deserve the ticket, save your breath. I know its illegal and I made the decision to ignore that and take a chance in favor of saving some time. I'll likely just pay the fine and look at it as a HOV pass that saved me a lot of time for a very reasonable $125/year. Honestly, if WSP & WDOT really wanted to eliminate abuse of the HOV lane they would ask legislators to get series about the fine. In CA its $500 and that would be enough to stop most people, myself included. A $125 fine is not enough pain for most people in this area. With many people making well over $100K, this amounts to just over 2 hours of work. So if you gained 2 hours or more between tickets, you were ahead. Not to mention the hassle of sitting in stopped traffic. I have a couple of lines of defense that I could pursue, but before I make a decision I just wondered if anyone else had ever successfully got out of one.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:38 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times
I tried to defend a couple of tickets I got in Seattle (3mph over, very slight "California" stop) and got nowhere, lots of people I know who have had tickets in the Seattle-area had no luck either, seems like a good money-making racket going on up there with the state patrol. Just do as I did, get tinted windows and drive with the passenger side sun visor down so it looks as though someone is sitting there. You really can't tell from the outside, even during a bright, sunny day.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:11 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
I tried to defend a couple of tickets I got in Seattle (3mph over, very slight "California" stop) and got nowhere, lots of people I know who have had tickets in the Seattle-area had no luck either, seems like a good money-making racket going on up there with the state patrol. Just do as I did, get tinted windows and drive with the passenger side sun visor down so it looks as though someone is sitting there. You really can't tell from the outside, even during a bright, sunny day.
haha great! I have thought about trying something along those lines too. I'll likely just except it as the cost to get to work and meetings on time. As long as I don't get popped again in a short time frame, I come out ahead.

I did learn that Washington has no "points" system which I think is pretty unusual? I like knowing exactly where i stand with an objective numbering system, rather than the subjective discretion of a DOL official.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:43 PM

291 posts, read 392,386 times
Quote:
A $125 fine is not enough pain for most people in this area.
You think that they should charge you more, so why not go in and explain they're going to have to charge you a lot more than $125 to stop you from breaking the law?

Last edited by MmeZeeZee; 07-26-2014 at 03:03 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 02:47 PM

291 posts, read 392,386 times
Quote:
seems like a good money-making racket going on up there with the state patrol
Yeah, what a racket, fining people for breaking the law!!!

What a bunch of jerks, demanding that carpools be favored so we have lower air pollution, insisting that people stop at stop signs and drive the limit in residential areas so fewer children and pets are hurt, and ensuring that the streets do not turn into huge parking lots.

I tell you what, if only they would let everybody do what is in their own individual short-term best interests with no consequences, life would be a heck of a lot better for a very short period of time.

Then of course it would devolve into a failed state, but whatever, the important thing is that you don't have to face the consequences of your behavior!

Old 07-26-2014, 02:49 PM

78 posts, read 101,597 times
If you know it's illegal (Not that ignorance is an excuse for breaking the law) and you're admitting you did it, on purpose in fact, then why try and fight it? Grow up, do us all a favor, and pay your fine.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:59 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
I really don't care what you did or did not do, whether deserved or not. Wasn't your question.

If a violation that goes on your record, I suggest hiring a traffic attorney. There are many in the Seattle area with a great track record of having cases dismissed. I've got a guy, used once (2008). He's defended others I know successfully, too.

If not, I got nothing. I pay stuff like that off since it's less than hiring the attorney. The court system is a racket. In fact the whole judicial process is a racket. Unless in on the racket, it's hard to fight. If that's a worthwhile use of your time, give it a go.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:13 PM

314 posts, read 459,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
I recently received a ticket for solo driving in HOV lane and just wondered if anyone had successfully defended against this violation. For those who are now going to say what an idiot I am for driving there, and how much I deserve the ticket, save your breath. I know its illegal and I made the decision to ignore that and take a chance in favor of saving some time. I'll likely just pay the fine and look at it as a HOV pass that saved me a lot of time for a very reasonable $125/year. Honestly, if WSP & WDOT really wanted to eliminate abuse of the HOV lane they would ask legislators to get series about the fine. In CA its $500 and that would be enough to stop most people, myself included. A $125 fine is not enough pain for most people in this area. With many people making well over $100K, this amounts to just over 2 hours of work. So if you gained 2 hours or more between tickets, you were ahead. Not to mention the hassle of sitting in stopped traffic. I have a couple of lines of defense that I could pursue, but before I make a decision I just wondered if anyone else had ever successfully got out of one.
So basically, you want free advice on how to get out of a traffic ticket you fully admit your are guilty of and deserve? Sorry bub, that just makes you a prick and an a$$hole.

Pay your fricking ticket like an adult and stop acting like such a pu$$y.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:11 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
I hate the whole HOV system and believe that it is a major reason for traffic congestion and accidents. Most freeway exits are on the right, and most HOVs are on the left. When the HOV driver comes to their exit they tend to want to wait until the last second to move over. Now they have to find a break where they can get across both lanes. They end up having to cut in front of people to get over. The drivers who are cut off have to slam their brakes, and now we have a big slowdown, if not an accident. And this process is repeated over an over, as long as traffic is even mildly heavy.

Personally I hate getting pulled over, so I wouldn't cheat, but if someone can cheat a bad law and get away with it, more power to them.

According to this an HOV violation does impact your auto insurance (for 3 years), so it's going to cost you more than $125
HOV (Carpool) Lane | Zim Law

I would suggest calling your insurance agent and asking how much your rate will increase over an HOV violation.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:22 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I really don't care what you did or did not do, whether deserved or not. Wasn't your question.

If a violation that goes on your record, I suggest hiring a traffic attorney. There are many in the Seattle area with a great track record of having cases dismissed. I've got a guy, used once (2008). He's defended others I know successfully, too.

If not, I got nothing. I pay stuff like that off since it's less than hiring the attorney. The court system is a racket. In fact the whole judicial process is a racket. Unless in on the racket, it's hard to fight. If that's a worthwhile use of your time, give it a go.
I have to agree with getting a lawyer if you want to fight it. Friends tried doing it themselves and way too many end up losing. Only those with a lawyer fared better. The judges here are too temperamental and I've seen them dismiss cases that should not be dismissed and go hard-core for others that are essentially a non-issue.

At least to the OP's credit, he didn't use a blow up doll or his blonde haired dog to get by on the HOV. Now those people really annoy me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area