Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 08:49 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw2005 View Post
We are new to Seattle having moved here from the N. VA area. Love the place and the job. However, I have found Asian Indians here very racist and rude. I am black. My wife is from India (east Indian as some folks would say). I hate it when at Bellevue and Redmond scores of Asian Indians stare at us and when we make eye contact and say hello, they will look away. We stay in an apartment where there are many families from India and we have found practically most Asian Indians very unfriendly. No such issues with people from other races or from the Washington area. Come on guys, in today's day and time, is a mixed race couple that rare? By the way, what is it about social skills? Don't people in India say hello? I can't believe one of the big employers here would hire folks without rudimentary social grace.

Overall Seattle is a cool place. Don't want to think iof the winter months
If it's worth anything to you, I lived in Bellevue and I'm Asian and the Asian residents there weren't very friendly either. And I'm actually one of them!! It's likely not what you think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 08:59 AM

3,689 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
If it's worth anything to you, I lived in Bellevue and I'm Asian and the Asian residents there weren't very friendly either. And I'm actually one of them!! It's likely not what you think it is.
Yes, in East Asia people do not do small talk or smile and say hello to neighbors or customers in shops much.

I think it's more like this also in expat / multi-cultural communities of world as well.

I've lived in both.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield206 View Post
of course its facts there are many examples of racism that have nothing to do with white people how can you think that white people cause all of the race problems that just not even true.

in japan they believed that all other country's were full of barbarians and monsters and that their only hope was to go completely isolationist.

in Egypt they would enslave their neighbors to the south the Nubians because they believed that they were made by the gods to be better.

the arab people in history had many leaders who told them that people were black as a result of a curse from god.

in india sometimes the southern indians or dravidians (who have darker skin) are considered to be less by the northern indians who have mixed aryan blood making there skin lighter.

in burma the government sent soldeirs against the muslims and they have a racist slur for them kala

and have you heard of the khmer rouge?

plus there are definitely black and mexican in the united states people who publicaly voice there hatred of white people. a belief that is supported by your belief that all racism is caused by white people.
Lighter skin is more coveted in Mexican and Chinese culture as well.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:21 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvyd20 View Post
What exactly do you mean by "East Indians"? Are you referring to people from places like Calcutta, Assam (east of India)? I am from the western part of India. So would you refer to me as a West Indian?
I work in what in in the US is called "Indian affairs", meaning--Native American. Your question is exactly why I use the term "South Asian", when speaking about people from India. And yes, I know that "South Asia" comprises more than India, but it's the best term I could find, to avoid the usual confusion and awkwardness. IDK, you could blame Columbus, who thought he'd landed in "the Indies", when he stumbled onto a beach in the Caribbean.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganand25 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I had to reply to this thread to get the record straight.
I am an Indian living in Seattle and working for one of these big companies and no, I am not a racist for not saying hi to you.
Just because I am now working in USA, I cannot change the way I was brought up for the last 20 years. Its not being racist or mean in India to not say hi when you see another people. For God sake, we have people everywhere, If we decide to say hello, we will be saying hello the whole day .. Joke aside, Indian (or in that way most of the asian culture) is different from western culture.
Rule#1 : Its considered strange in India to say hello to someone you don't know
Rule#2: We are not an extrovert society like here. For us less is more
Please bear with us, we are still the first generation and cannot forget our culture so fast.
You're in America now though, how about you adjust to our customs and norms and we will be respectful of yours?

Old 09-24-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Like I said before....Americas only true interracial mixture is with latinos. We hold by far the most outmixing. In fact we 50 million hold more mixing than 170 million whites.

No one comments when we mix because:

Hispanic men and hispanic women mix equally. Basically for every good looking, white latina female couple, there is a good looking white female hispanic male couple.

So...white men and basically every other race of men dont get jealous , because that hot white woman can be replaced with a hot latina. Which is a fair trade!

But look at Asian men? Black women...no one really mixes with then because of the attraction issue. So white women get mad because they feel good white guys are being stolen by Asian women and white guys feel white chicks are being stolen by black men.

Bottom line get your game up in your own community. When we date out I'm the latina community there ain't no messed up self hating reasons for it!!

Cause I've dated every race and I still love the women of my own race.
Not true. I'm Asian and have dated a lot of white women.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Not true. I'm Asian and have dated a lot of white women.
I'm a Heinz-57 white guy and I only date East Asian women and have no interest in Western women of any ethnicity. Cultural reasons.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I'm a Heinz-57 white guy and I only date East Asian women and have no interest in Western women of any ethnicity. Cultural reasons.
I dated everything.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:03 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
You need to visit India and you'll understand that they too will have racist attitudes. You'll notice all the political, corporate, and movie-singers are all light skinned. They also treat Africans like crap who come over to work. Unfortunately British colonialism passed on the same western social pathologies that Aile America as well.

Please don't blame Indian racism on us whites. India had a racist caste system for thousands of years before the British arrived.

If anything, the British, however imperfect, helped eradicate the caste system. So if India is less racist today than in its past, some of the thanks belong to the (white) British.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
I dated everything.
I dated everything.....in the past....

Not these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area