Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 08:38 PM

16 posts, read 55,394 times

Advertisements

If A person is comfortable with who they are,they can live anywhere in the world regardless of if people of their own race exist in the local or not,There is no place in this world where I would not consider living because of my race...I have always felt comfortable anywhere from Beverly Hills to Manhattan to Frankfurt to Taipai to Seattle etc and certain parts of Germany I can assure you you will never see another black person..I don't use the term african american as it can mean a Black or White person..As I friend from Cape Town South Africa that is white but became a Naturalized citizen in 1999 he is truly an AFrican American,while someone black born and raised in Seattle has no clue about Africa and will never go there in this life

Old 01-02-2008, 04:58 PM

73,052 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterFrontStories View Post
If A person is comfortable with who they are,they can live anywhere in the world regardless of if people of their own race exist in the local or not,There is no place in this world where I would not consider living because of my race...I have always felt comfortable anywhere from Beverly Hills to Manhattan to Frankfurt to Taipai to Seattle etc and certain parts of Germany I can assure you you will never see another black person..I don't use the term african american as it can mean a Black or White person..As I friend from Cape Town South Africa that is white but became a Naturalized citizen in 1999 he is truly an AFrican American,while someone black born and raised in Seattle has no clue about Africa and will never go there in this life
A person should be able to live wherever he or she wants. I think Seattle( as well as other places) can be one of those places that is nice to live in.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeblossom View Post
Is this post too late? I also was raised in WA ( Seattle) but spent summers in the Bronx! So culture shock it is. I think the AA community is small yet very active. Ive never had any problems and many of my friends are multiracial.

It was just me and another AA girl growing up who did rodeo. Yeah its not the norm,but you get used to it. Also I never had problems with doing that either.

You will love the summers, the greenery, the mountains, the water and the overbearing access to coffee every ten feet.
In my opinion, the black community in Seattle is unique and special in its own way.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,387 times
Default Not just blacks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martina26 View Post
Add on to my previous reply:

Be prepared for a much more "tough" and "street" version of blacks, please don't think I am being racists because I am not, I am just giving you the truth. The south is much more polite, many of the blacks here are more "thug" and gangsta than what you would see in the south. Maybe they feel they have to prove something. I am not sure. I have a lot of black friends and that is what they explained to me when we were having a discussion about it because we have all been to the south and noticed the blacks are different than the ones up here in how they behave etc.
Hello everyone...new here, and not just to the forum. I'm new to Seattle, originally from California, currently living in Lake Stevens (eager to move elsewhere...perhaps to South Seattle, thanks to info here?). I've traveled this entire country, and...truth is, it's not a "black" thing, the more aggressive/less polite attitude. Everyone on the west coast, including here, is less polite. People are certainly generally nicer than in Los Angeles, but...that thing you're referring to is a Southern thing altogether. Whites, blacks, whomever. White folks here are less polite than they are in the South, too. Nevermind all the unnecessary generalizations, though.

Anyway...nice to meet you all. Interesting thoughts being passed around.

-J

Old 01-31-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanphifer View Post
Hello everyone...new here, and not just to the forum. I'm new to Seattle, originally from California, currently living in Lake Stevens (eager to move elsewhere...perhaps to South Seattle, thanks to info here?). I've traveled this entire country, and...truth is, it's not a "black" thing, the more aggressive/less polite attitude. Everyone on the west coast, including here, is less polite. People are certainly generally nicer than in Los Angeles, but...that thing you're referring to is a Southern thing altogether. Whites, blacks, whomever. White folks here are less polite than they are in the South, too. Nevermind all the unnecessary generalizations, though.

Anyway...nice to meet you all. Interesting thoughts being passed around.

-J
I never saw a "thug" factor among the black population in the Northwest. I saw it when I moved to GA though, so whoever told you the thug mentality doesn't exist in the South is sorely mistaken. It's alive and well in the South.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:59 AM

395 posts, read 1,364,303 times
To be honest I don't generally see a lot of af.americans.But they are prob. just in different areas then I am.Sometimes I see a few..they are usually nice to me..even though they seem "gangsta" by the clothes they wear,they are just nice and normal.Since you are coming from the south (I am from the south too) you will notice..things are VERY different up here...you will like it.
BUT I will say this...everyone in Seattle will like you either way...
I mainly see a lot of asians...

Old 02-09-2008, 02:06 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,706,974 times
i am black and i have to ask why would you want to stay contained in a "black community" or in the southern parts? if it is due to money reasons i could understand but only hanging around people that are the same skin tone as you are does not seem like an educated idea to me. you'd want to be mixed with the white and the asians, if you could. it sounds like a lot of posters just want to move in "black communities" i just never understood the logic in that but anyways i hope to see seattle for the location and sights, meeting people and sharing interest will come from that.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:09 AM

478 posts, read 2,304,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
i am black and i have to ask why would you want to stay contained in a "black community" or in the southern parts? if it is due to money reasons i could understand but only hanging around people that are the same skin tone as you are does not seem like an educated idea to me. you'd want to be mixed with the white and the asians, if you could. it sounds like a lot of posters just want to move in "black communities" i just never understood the logic in that but anyways i hope to see seattle for the location and sights, meeting people and sharing interest will come from that.
Ron,

Have you been down south? It is a very different experience for a lot of Americans of African descent. I have heard the phrase "coming home" used a lot for that experience.

Not only that, but there are networking opportunities within solid middle- and upper-class black communities that do not exist in other types of neighborhoods.

As an aside, when folks of a different ethnicity move to a different town or country, they often tap into the networks that exist within their ethnic circles (I have seen this A LOT in the Indian community) and build themselves up that way. You might be surprised to learn that similar networks exist for black folks, but from what I have seen, they all more or less exist on the east coast and in the south (ATL, NY, DC, Charlotte, etc.).

Some people may see this as a color issue. I see this as a culture issue, and it is not one that only black folks take advantage of ... as many folks of many ethnicities and nationalities do the same or similar.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 17,286 times
It's true that Seattle is as white as white can be. But as a black person and as visitor for 6 months, I felt right at home in Seattle. Overall, I found people to be very friendly and open-minded. It's a progressive town and I never felt the great racial divide that I do when I am, say, down South.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper of the flame View Post
It's true that Seattle is as white as white can be. But as a black person and as visitor for 6 months, I felt right at home in Seattle. Overall, I found people to be very friendly and open-minded. It's a progressive town and I never felt the great racial divide that I do when I am, say, down South.
oh yes! Sounds like Seattle is one of the next great cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area