Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 05:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
The first female self-made millionaire was C.J. Walker (1867-1919). She was black and her parents were former slaves.
Wealthiest Negress Dead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 05:36 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Slice of History: First U.S. Incubator Baby: Sept. 7, 1888

For the first time, a premature baby is treated in an incubator in America. Her name is Edith Eleanor McLean and, though she weighs only two and a half pounds, she’s nursed to health at State Emigrant Hospital in New York in a 3-ft. square, 4-ft. high box called a “hatching cradle”

That makes sense because the device, first used in France a few years earlier, is modeled after a chicken incubator being used at the Paris Zoo.

Slice of History:1st U.S. Incubator Baby: Sept. 7, 1888

The United States Practical Receipt Book reveals life hacks from 1884

How to make condoms and other useful things. The article linked above tells you where to find the 1884 edition of this book.

The United States Practical Receipt Book: Or, the Complete Book of Reference for the Manufacturer, Tradesman, Agriculturist, or Housekeeper; Containing Many Thousand Valuable Receipts, in All the Useful and Domestic Arts

https://archive.org/details/unitedstatespra00chemgoog

Old 10-16-2015, 04:39 PM

Is it time to buy a carriage? They're not terribly expensive.

Here are several websites that I found. Search "horse-drawn carriages'' for sale on
https://duckduckgo.com/ to find more. Old classics as well as current production are available.

No horse? Full size model horses are available.

Carriage Driving, Carriages for sale, horse carriages, horse and buggy, wedding carriages

Horse Carriages for Sale

Brougham #4708

Everything begins with a book and that includes carriages.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/048...s=books&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...s=books&sr=1-9

Everybody is familiar with the Studebaker motor car, but how many know that Studebaker was once the world's largest wagon maker?

http://www.amazon.com/John-M-Studeba...rds=studebaker

The Studebaker Century: A National Heritage: Asa E. Hall: 9780960614813: Amazon.com: Books

Old 10-17-2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Slice of History: First U.S. Incubator Baby: Sept. 7, 1888

For the first time, a premature baby is treated in an incubator in America. Her name is Edith Eleanor McLean and, though she weighs only two and a half pounds, she’s nursed to health at State Emigrant Hospital in New York in a 3-ft. square, 4-ft. high box called a “hatching cradle”

That makes sense because the device, first used in France a few years earlier, is modeled after a chicken incubator being used at the Paris Zoo.

Slice of History:1st U.S. Incubator Baby: Sept. 7, 1888

The United States Practical Receipt Book reveals life hacks from 1884

How to make condoms and other useful things. The article linked above tells you where to find the 1884 edition of this book.

The United States Practical Receipt Book: Or, the Complete Book of Reference for the Manufacturer, Tradesman, Agriculturist, or Housekeeper; Containing Many Thousand Valuable Receipts, in All the Useful and Domestic Arts

https://archive.org/details/unitedstatespra00chemgoog
I must have somehow missed your excellent post.

I love books of this sort, but I'e found the electronic editions to be less than satisfactory when I wished to search for specific topics.

Reprint editions vary in quality, but I've found the University of Michigan Press editions to be very satisfactory. Here's a good example.

Wright's book of 3000 practical receipts, or complete book of reference, containing valuable and important receipts for medicine, cookery, pastry, ... and agriculture (Michigan Historical Reprint): Michigan Historical Reprint Series: 978142553728

Here's a real winner. First published in 1907, it continued until at least 1988. It contains everything from industrial processes to domestic tips. I ran across a test for quality of lemon extract. It's a good test. I read that a few drops of Oil of Lavender on a piece of moist sponge repels house flies. I tried it and it works. There have been some revisions over the years. They apparently cut out recipes for laudanum and other opiates after The Pure Food and Drug Act as well as alcoholic recipes after the passage of the Eighteenth Amendment. They did add a special supplementary article after Congress removed the tax on denatured alcohol. Although written during Prohibition it's still in my book. There's an article on photography that dates to the early fifties at the latest judging by the films mentioned.

I'm currently looking for the 1907 edition but haven't yet been successful. I want a physical edition, ideally an original. I can't rate this book highly enough. The author, Gordon D. Hiscox, wrote several other books also of interest.

Henley's Formulas for Home & Workshop: Gardner D. Hiscox: 9780517293072: Amazon.com: Books_

I just mentioned this one on my Christmas thread, but I'll mention it again with another link to a good review beside Amazon. It's of interest to any antiquarian worthy of the name. I like Jock Dempsey's reviews. You may wish to take a look at the books, particularly the review on Mousehill Forge where they made steel-faced cast iron anvils in the eighteenth century. Mousehill is pronounced MOWzil.

http://smile.amazon.com/Machinerys-H...+first+edition

Machinerys Handbook 1st Edition Commemerative Reprint: anvilfire.com Book Review

Machinerys Handbook 1st Edition Commemerative Reprint: anvilfire.com Book Review

http://smile.amazon.com/Mousehole-Fo...ousehill+forge

This an interesting historical work on ancient and medieval technology that I found on anvilfire.

anvilfire Bookshelf - Blacksmithing and Metalworking Book and Video Reviews

http://smile.amazon.com/Cathedral-Fo...and+waterwheel

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 10-17-2015 at 01:34 AM..

Old 10-19-2015, 06:04 PM

128 posts, read 233,366 times
Happy, here is a blog you might find interesting. Passion for the Past.

Passion for the Past

It's written by an amateur living historian who lives in the Detroit area. He primarily specializes in the Civil War era, but has branched out into the Revolutionary War era. He's not a military reenactor. He is very into how those in the past actually lived. While he's interested in an earlier time, I suspect you would find much of interest on this blog.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:33 AM

983 posts, read 995,350 times
I just want to say I really enjoy this thread. It's the only thread on City Data I'm subscribed to. The longer it gets, the more I enjoy it.
The 1880s are a bittersweet time though. Things were sure simpler than they are today, but the Industrial Revolution was speeding things up so rapidly, the old ways became near unrecognizable.

The western frontier was settled up. The railroads connected the continent. The telegraph improved communications, then the telephone. Factories made goods that made life physically easier.

The pioneer's way of life was over. Soon, a lot of them will move to cities, go to work in those factories, then the 9-5 grind (more like the 10-12 grind) would start and the "in the good old days, before all this modern technology..." talk would begin.

Yes, the 1880s saw a lof of great inventions and innovation, but at the cost of the real simple life.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:30 PM

HIW, I like all the books you linked.

I didn't find a 1907 edition of Henley's either, but Cornell published a reprint http://www.amazon.com/Henleys-Twenti.../dp/1112236619

I'll ask the rare and antiquarian book dealers I know. They are retired but might have some leads.

Abe Books has original 1914 and 1924 editions if you are interested.

It seems the title varied slightly over the years if what I'm finding is correct. The first one was Henley's Twentieth Century Book of Recipes, Formulas and Processes and then became Henley's Twentieth Century Formulas, Processes and Trade Secrets

I got more hits searching by those two titles.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:53 PM

Oil of Lavender - It has many practical uses, as do other essential oils, or essences as they were known.

I wish I could find a comprehensive [old] book on essential oils. I find bits and pieces in old books but much of that information is vague, I suppose because it was common knowledge so details weren't needed.

The Household Cyclopedia, 1881, that I linked to several weeks or months ago in this thread has a section on essential oils, but it's focused on distillation.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
HIW, I like all the books you linked.

I didn't find a 1907 edition of Henley's either, but Cornell published a reprint Henley's Twentieth Century Book of Recipes, Formulas and Processes: -1907: Gardner D. Hiscox: 9781112236617: Amazon.com: Books

I'll ask the rare and antiquarian book dealers I know. They are retired but might have some leads.

Abe Books has original 1914 and 1924 editions if you are interested.

It seems the title varied slightly over the years if what I'm finding is correct. The first one was Henley's Twentieth Century Book of Recipes, Formulas and Processes and then became Henley's Twentieth Century Formulas, Processes and Trade Secrets

I got more hits searching by those two titles.
Thank you for that information. I'll begin to search using both terms. I'd like to find out more on the work itself as well as on the author.

Quote:
Oil of Lavender - It has many practical uses, as do other essential oils, or essences as they were known.

I wish I could find a comprehensive [old] book on essential oils. I find bits and pieces in old books but much of that information is vague, I suppose because it was common knowledge so details weren't needed.

The Household Cyclopedia, 1881, that I linked to several weeks or months ago in this thread has a section on essential oils, but it's focused on distillation.
With respect to essentiial oils it may be a better course to begin with modern flavor chemistry and work backwards. Purdue University seems involved in research so a call to the technical library there could be producve. Academic librarians are often excellent sources of information on obscure topics. They may be able to supply you with the names of some older works. Working back through bibliographies is almost always productive, but you need to be in a good library.

I am sure that the information is available; however, it may require some haystack searching.

Here's a link that may be of interest. There are several other interesting items at Purdue.

https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proc...90/V1-472.html

Searching on Amazon using the terms flavor chemistry essential oils gave some good modern results. These would be good places to start looking backwards. It's conceivable that you could get some via interlibrary loan.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...essential+oils

Old 10-21-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Thank you for that information. I'll begin to search using both terms. I'd like to find out more on the work itself as well as on the author.

With respect to essentiial oils it may be a better course to begin with modern flavor chemistry and work backwards. Purdue University seems involved in research so a call to the technical library there could be producve. Academic librarians are often excellent sources of information on obscure topics. They may be able to supply you with the names of some older works. Working back through bibliographies is almost always productive, but you need to be in a good library.

I am sure that the information is available; however, it may require some haystack searching.

Here's a link that may be of interest. There are several other interesting items at Purdue.

https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proc...90/V1-472.html

Searching on Amazon using the terms flavor chemistry essential oils gave some good modern results. These would be good places to start looking backwards. It's conceivable that you could get some via interlibrary loan.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...essential+oils
Excellent suggestions. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness