Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 06:19 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I watched a documentary about President Garfield's murder in 1881.

A trailer

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ISaIIOifVdM

The book

Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard

It suggests he might have survived if not for the vanity of his doctor.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 02-03-2016 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 11:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Default Flintnapping in Brandon

Although flint and similar minerals have had many uses since the Paleolithic most people think of the flintlock when they think of it. I found this video of a film made in 1949. It provides some decent information on flintknapping as it has been done in Brandon since 1686. I know that flints for guns were made until recently there and they may still be.

The flintlock may be the ultimate survival gun if we see near total destruction. The intelligent artisan is able to make all of the gun parts as well as the ''fuel.'' The lock is the most difficult item to make, but a highly skilled person should be able to not only make them, but to make **** and gauges so that semiskilled workmen may then do it.

The East Anglian Film Archive is a veritable treasure trove for the antiquarian. There's a full index.

People still practice flintnapping today. there's a great del of online material available including many youtube productions.

East Anglian Film Archive: Craftsmen: The Flintknappers, 1949

Old 03-13-2016, 01:10 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

The East Anglian Film Archive is a veritable treasure trove for the antiquarian. There's a full index.
East Anglia, huh? Oh -- the place where global warming was debunked!

Great place!

Old 03-13-2016, 09:01 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
I'm more partial to the lifestyles of the 1960's. When my grandparents built a bathroom on their farm, I considered that a huge improvement over the outhouse. There are several more modern conveniences that I embrace:
1) The automobile of the 60's with power steering and brakes. Sturdy, simple, and so easy to work on.
2) The light bulb...one of our greatest inventions unless one prefers the dark....which many do. LED bulbs may be the pinnacle of technology.
3) Propane/gas heat is so convenient. It is chilly in the morning for a few hours. Perfect time to fire up a little propane heater and place it in the area.
4) Chain saws are just fun, efficient, and oh so manly.
5) Televisions and home movies (now we are talking 80's technology).
6) Quality rifle scopes. I try to secure my own meat instead of hiring agents.
7) Refrigeration...is anyone doing without this? Seems pretty challenging.
8) Fork lift...perhaps there are similar ways to get things done with gears and chains. When I can get my '63 forklift started, I love it. Helps that I can work on the engine if need be.
9) Electricity. I make my own with solar panels. It would be challenging to have quality water for myself and the livestock without power. This is flat land so I can't put a cistern up on the hill and rely on pressure from gravity.
10) Cordless tools. This is my fetish.

Now for "modern conveniences" that I dislike:
1) The cell phone. These things are electronic leashes that are almost required for many business owners. You are simply expected to be available for all emergencies. "You didn't answer your phone so we hired someone else".....this is the threat that we live with 24/7. Our esteemed government has printed itself a license to track our lives, in the most minute detail, via our cell phone.
2) Electronics in modern auto's. A mouse can destroy your $40,000 car by chewing up a bunch of wiring. Yesterdays handyman has absolutely no chance when pitted against the electrical nightmares built into modern cars.
3) The delicate little snowflakes that are the product of the modern lifestyle. They disgust me for a dozen separate reasons.
4) Modern technology often ceases to work within months. Bring it in for repair? "This thing was built over a year ago, it can't be fixed. It is old." Products are generally getting cheaper and cheaper with each passing year. What used to be passed from generation to generation is now replaced every 5-10 years.
5) Rise of the government Thought Cop. They often work for a "private corporation" but their paycheck arrives from government funding. Their job is to gather as much data as possible on every citizen in the world. "Fighting terrorism" is the card that they play whenever questions are raised. Their numbers exceed a million and the aggregate costs are staggering. They spend a large amount of time irritating independent thinkers. They are new age bullies who passed the requirement of being literate. They stalk us 24/7 via an out of touch legislature and modern technology.
6) "Politically Correct".....the parent of the delicate little snowflake that needs campus "safe zones" for protection against politically incorrect words.
7) Guided missiles. Imagine hunting with guided missiles. What is the sport in that? Hundreds of innocents are killed for every real combatant. When the hunter is 13,000 miles away, will they question what they are doing?
8) Privacy is dead unless you take extraordinary measures....like living a 1880s lifestyle. Animals need privacy. Zoo animal longevity used to be measured in weeks or months. They never reproduced. Now that we have given them the privacy that they require, zoo animals are often doing very well. Privacy for humans? Only recently are we learning about the loss of all of our privacy. How easily, and how often, the cameras and microphones on our computers and laptops are turned on. How they obtain our most intimate pictures before they even appear on the web. How Microsoft and Skype and Facebook and Google and cell phones, along with the "internet of things "http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/09/internet-of-things-smart-home-devices-government-surveillance-james-clapper are used to haul in every scrap of data imaginable on absolutely everyone.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...-james-clapper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism "Terrorism" comes from the French word terrorisme,[4] and originally referred specifically to state terrorism as practiced by the French government during the 1793–1794 Reign of Terror.

rant over...

Old 03-13-2016, 10:57 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
rant over...

My first truck (I was 14) was a 1948 Ford. I bought it myself. I learned to drive in that thing, learned to work on cars and trucks with that thing. Now....uh, I can still do the plugs, carb, brakes, front end, and gen'l maintenance, but serious engine repair? No way. Too bad -- I have all the tools I'd need to do so.

This is a forkin' PC-mad iGadget-obsessed world we live in. Weido's used to stare at their navels; nowadays regular folks stare at their phones all day! I still use a flip phone put out by Tracfone, costs me $19.99 every 3 months to keep it going. I bought it in 2007 and it still runs perfectly. I use electrical tape to black out the cameras on my tablet, and plaster it over the microphone also.

I fight valiently to keep my grandkids from being "special snowflakes". I pay for 4 of them to go to private parochial school. The other 2 don't go because our daughter says, "They're not Catholic". Who gives a damn about that??? It's about the education, Laura, not the religion!

Old 03-13-2016, 07:10 PM

There's no question that one the primary causes of decline since 1880 has been the near end of etiquette in the late twentieth century. From wearing of unseemly clothing to the foul language of young (and not so young) women we live in a society today that would have been utterly alien to our ancestors. While there have always been low elements in society, it's nearly impossible today to distinguish the best from the worst.

How many men today open a car door for a woman? How many women expect it?

How many of today's wives know how to set a table? How many husbands bring flowers to their wives? How many of either know whee the oyster fork should be placed.

I believe that just setting a proper family table or a proper table if one is alone could do so much to restore our society. A good measure of formal manners would do more than just change our dining habits.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:33 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
I didn't know there was a special fork for oysters let alone where it is placed.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:21 PM

I bet that you've used an oyster fork.. Although called an oyster fork it's used with clams, mussels, escargots, etc. People commonly use it as well for shrimp cocktails and other shellfish.

It's a very small three-tined fork and the only fork that is placed on the right of the plate. It is placed to the far right beyond the knives and spoons.

The Amazon webpage has illustrations of several. Two-tined forks are properly cocktail forks, but some people mistakenly think they're oyster forks.

http://www.amazon.com/Winco-0002-07-...s=oyster+forks

Old 03-15-2016, 09:36 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times
The number of oyster fork tines was up to the maker and sometimes varied by pattern by a single maker. They have been produced in both two and three-tine forms but three is more common. It was also called a seafood fork and in modern services is more commonly called a cocktail fork.

1870s 2-tine oyster forks https://www.spencermarks.com/items/j3105.html

More oyster fork designs from various makers Antique sterling silverware and flatware, silver and silverplate sets

The strawberry fork was another utensil usually made with three tines but some known examples had only two.

We know this from old company records and catalogs that have survived. Sometimes it's the only way to be certain of a utensil's original intended purpose if it closely resembles another.

Specially designed eating and serving utensils were made for each of the popular foods. The most common are:

Spoons: demitasse, five o'clock, teaspoon, bouillon, dessert, oval soup, round gumbo, ice cream, fruit

Forks: strawberry/berry, fish, luncheon, dinner, tea, viande, dessert, pastry, ice cream, salad, escargot, terrapin

Knives: fruit, fish, viande, luncheon, dinner, tea, individual butter

We use our antique utensils. Not every day but 1-2 times a week we have formal dinners for just the two of us!

Old 03-16-2016, 10:01 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,139,849 times
I'm new around here. I came here thinking I'd be picking up some tips on how to survive the end of civilization: stuff like Survival, Evasion & Escape. How to make deadly weapons out of bubble gum, toothpicks and old newspaper. How to survive for long periods living in spider holes. How to cook roaches, pigeons and snakes.

But what do I get? Oyster forks?...Oyster forks? ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness