Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 01:22 AM

5,410 posts, read 3,607,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I try not to believe any leftist's myths...my observation was what I observe with my own eyes. There are so many "sloppy fat" people of both sexes, that our perception of what is "fat" has been altered.

As for the women looking like sluts, I agree. It's not just their clothes -- it's the bleached hair, the tattoos, the body piercings and yes, the lack of clothing. I never realized how many different colors of bra straps there are today! Who's designing this crap?
people ARE getting bigger and fatter, its a known fact, portion sizes have got much larger which may account for this, a single portion of say Fish and Chips/fries (which was the only takeaway at one time in the UK)can now feed 2 people.
large females walking about with the inevitable "strappy" top showing off large acres of fat are now commonly known in my county as "Lump-unts" . mind you the males aren't any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,613,409 times
Default Bringing Back The Past: The Work And Reward

The good folks in the video are restoring a magnificent steam lorry. It doesn't date back to 1880, but it's a revenant of those wonderful times. The machine tool technology isn't much different as 1880 was the climax of the industrial revolution.

There's more interest in Great Britain in the history of technology. It's worth traveling there to visit many sites and attend events. It's a place to find craftsmen who seem to no longer exist here Perhaps if there's enough interest, some of the members of this forum will charter a plane and enjoy a very interesting field trip.

This video is great. You'll be drooling by the end .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi4oJLqFMI8

Old 06-07-2016, 03:00 AM

There were many antiquarians in 1880. They appreciated earlier times just as we appreciate earlier times. The present is a product of the past.

I found this video which has some interesting glimpses of the eighteenth century. I especially liked the tinmaker's swedge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGjN...8#t=567.174014

Old 07-01-2016, 10:36 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,073,538 times
Maranacook students experienced life in the 1880s - Central Maine

Passengers again using Indiana town's 1880s train depot - Washington Times

Old 07-01-2016, 12:07 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,228,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Search back through this thread for the posts on corsets. Do not believe the leftist myth that today's women are fat. The problem is that they dress like slatterns.

I have a lot of old photos of family from the 1800's.
The ones from the 1800's were not fat. Not at all.
However a lot of today family members are way over weight and some are obese.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:14 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,495,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
I have a lot of old photos of family from the 1800's.
The ones from the 1800's were not fat. Not at all.
However a lot of today family members are way over weight and some are obese.
Agreed -- all one needs is eyes to see! And it's not because they don't wear corsets (ouch!). I suspect it's due more to adulterants in the food, esp sugar and HFCS. I have seen the same thing in our family photos, and the overweight/obese ones of today do not overeat or drink to excess. What is it???

Old 07-02-2016, 09:27 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,073,538 times
People are fat because they overindulge in bad processed food and lead sedentary lifestyles.

The referenced post might be this one //www.city-data.com/forum/39363159-post221.html

She lives an 1880s lifestyle. Walks or bikes wherever she goes, eats fresh food and uses mostly 1880s technology. I would argue that her lifestyle now is lower stress; stress is also an obesity factor.

She was fat but she could have slimmed down without the corset. Her motivation was to wear original 1880s clothing. The average waist size was 22-26 inches which is not unusually small. The waist looks tiny because they have other contraptions underneath to make the hips larger for the hourglass shape.

Most people were cooking fresh, locally-grown whole foods from scratch. There was not an obesity problem. Even into the 1920s after corsets were discarded for the most part, most women looked like stick figures in flapper dresses.

I see the same with vintage and antique men's clothing. Most men today could not fit into them.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:00 PM

I found a selection of photographs which are almost all from the old days. Only a few date back to the glorious eighties, but there are more than a few that the antiquarian will appreciate.

Rare Photos From The Past – Page 83 – Auto Overload

Old 07-12-2016, 05:35 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,389,566 times
These countries consume the most calories - Business Insider

shows how many calories the average citizen of each country eats, shows that its not just the calories, alot of nations eat close to the same amount as us Americans, but we mostly live sedentry lifestyles, and i assume as Nor'Eastah stated that additives make it worse as well.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I see the same with vintage and antique men's clothing. Most men today could not fit into them.
I have a book originally published in the late eighteenth century about a ship's voyage to Nootka Sound which is off the coast of present day British Columbia. The book includes a list of the crew with names, ages, and heights. The average height of an adult male is about 5'5'' which isn't much above the average for women today. I'm sure that one of the reasons for the heights of the crew is the fact that little people could scurry up the rigging more easily than bigger people. However, nutrition plays a larger role in this. People were taller in 1880 and they're still taller today because they're eating better. Japanese today are larger than those born before the war for the same reason..

There's a rather amusing video that Jas. Townsend & Son did on Youtube about the use of cheap fillers used by bakers back in the really old days (18th century and earlier). Some of these fillers were actually toxic. It's true that there's nothing new under the sun. Aristophanes wrote about insurance fraud nearly twenty-four hundred years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness