Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 01:50 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,448,119 times

Advertisements

Are we over this yet? People are so easily led to slaughter.

Really, the hawks in DC get their way and nukes do fly just run towards the light. You'll be one of the lucky ones and die quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 03:11 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,658,272 times
Carl Sagan, and some of his side kicks, like Bill Nye should have stuck
to astrophysics, as they are of no use on an M Class planet.

I don't worry about nuclear winter, I worry about those who are so
scared of things that they make things worse. Altfeld and Cimbala
may have been on to something.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:53 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I'll prepare for an oncoming hurricane....lay in some water, food, batteries, fuel for the gas grill, etc., but for nuclear war? I'm 70. I've had some good years behind me. Not sure I want to try to survive a nuclear winter and the aftermath.
I'm with you. Let the kids stockpile all kinds of crap and then die a slow painful death in a nuclear winter and radiation that lasts for 10 years. I'm 67 and I'm going out painlessly right from the start with a bottle of tranqs and a bottle of 120-proof alcohol. Watch the drama, "Threads" that deals with the aftermath of a nuclear winter in Britain. Very scary stuff. In English with Italian subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK8zNw6ONuk

Old 08-14-2017, 04:24 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,780 times
Threads is an extremely disturbing & horrific animated movie - I've only seen it once, and that was enough. This is probably the closest representation of what may actually happen during such an attack. Massive amounts of destruction & damage; no electricity; food & water will be contaminated (and no running water either), etc. Again, even if you don't get radiation poisoning (which you almost certainly will) then a myriad of other things will end up killing you.

Yes, there was a caveat at the end of The Day After which stated that the horrific deaths/destruction that was depicted in the film would actually be a lot worse than what was shown - if it occurred in real-life. TDA was definitely considered an anti-war film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I grew up living next to a SAC unit. We had regular "air raid" drills aimed at "protecting" us from nuclear attacks. They would blow the siren and then we were supposed to huddle underneath our desks. It didn't take too long before I quit participating - because even at 7 or 8 years old, I knew we were extremely likely to be at ground zero and huddling under my desk was certainly not the way I intended to meet my maker (as it were, given I'm a life-long atheist).

Then he went to the school board and gave them all a good talking too. That was the last anyone ever heard of "air raid drills" at school.

Trust me, all your "preparation" amounts to huddling under your desk. You can do that if you want, of course, this is a free country.
That was all before my time, but I never figured out which idiot out there thought that falling on the floor & sticking your head underneath your desk would help prevent your getting hurt in a nuclear attack (or any other type of attack, for that matter). Ludicrous.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:47 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,008,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Threads is an extremely disturbing & horrific animated movie - I've only seen it once, and that was enough. This is probably the closest representation of what may actually happen during such an attack. Massive amounts of destruction & damage; no electricity; food & water will be contaminated (and no running water either), etc. Again, even if you don't get radiation poisoning (which you almost certainly will) then a myriad of other things will end up killing you.

Yes, there was a caveat at the end of The Day After which stated that the horrific deaths/destruction that was depicted in the film would actually be a lot worse than what was shown - if it occurred in real-life. TDA was definitely considered an anti-war film.

That was all before my time, but I never figured out which idiot out there thought that falling on the floor & sticking your head underneath your desk would help prevent your getting hurt in a nuclear attack (or any other type of attack, for that matter). Ludicrous.
TESTAMENT, another nuclear war movie that is also very disturbing. I don't believe that THREADS was an animated movie. Must have been a typo.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:15 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,780 times
You're right, Threads was not animated. I was confusing that with When the Wind Blows, which was an animated UK film from the 1980's about the aftermath of nuclear war - very disturbing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h1lRqUBuSI

Yes, Testament (starring Jane Alexander) was excellent as well. This was one of the few nuclear war aftermath films I'd like to see again.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:20 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,658,272 times
And the epitaph will read:
Quote:
Their bodies were found. Apparently, they gave up and died without a struggle, never realizing that the destruction was local and only temporary, and that rescuers would have arrived in a month...
The following YouTube is a humorous take on all of this...
From the Twilight Zone ...
Don't take it too seriously, and note that after the 24th minute,
it begins to repeat since the film is only 24 minutes ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGiyzTKYrbA

Old 08-14-2017, 07:52 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
Get Trump out of office and you won't have so much to be concerned about. That nutcase in North Korea will settle down once he doesn't have another blockhead to go up against.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:16 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Get Trump out of office and you won't have so much to be concerned about. That nutcase in North Korea will settle down once he doesn't have another blockhead to go up against.
Trump? Yeah. Him too. We should have done it with Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Reagan. Yeah, I went there. Reagan. The last decent man with a spine in that office was Kennedy. And he got what for his patriotism? All these yahoos are always causing bad blood with one or more nations the world over, and then wanting to use the military to do a job that should never have been created in the first place. McStain with his secret trips to Syria and Ukraine, hobnobbing with head-choppers and nazis. I could go on. And on, and on...

Whatever made Americans think they needed to trade one tyrant a thousand miles away for several thousand next door, I'll never know. We should have ditched the one across the pond, and deported any who attempted to start here at home the criminal organization that is government. Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, etc., thanks for the good job! Now go home and enjoy the freedom. Don't fix what ain't broke. And we could always wise up and throw the bums out ourselves, but then who would pass out the free stuff we all pay so much for? Government is always, at its core, an abusive and greedy criminal enterprise, taking its sustenance from the treasure and industry of the people that allow it to exist in their midst.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:45 PM

147 posts, read 180,958 times
Emergency Warning To President Trump On Potential Trap In North Korea: Shoot Down EMP Satellites

IF TRUMP PLANS ON STRIKING NORTH KOREA , HE MUST TAKE OUT ANY AND ALL SATELLITES OF NORTH KOREA ( this will also blind their ability for counterintelligence ) . I am sure we have laser technology to destroy their satellites . Some years against , maybe about ten years or so ago , China were testing their own laser weapon technology and from the ground , they totally destroyed one of their own obsolete satellites , bringing it back to earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97pgMBkiOEk

Last edited by Miami Temple; 08-14-2017 at 09:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness