Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 05:54 PM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
So you would assume that he will avoid going to a shelter? If he stays on the surface it does make hitting him a lot easier.

Low altitude detonations can cover a large area. Many of our payloads were designed for cracking hard targets. Put one on a shelter to crack it and a second payload in the same spot hoping to kill what is inside.
Well, it depends on how long they have. If he doesn't have much time, he has the choice of leaving or getting deep inside a shelter. One of the things I studied in the service was how much shelter it takes to survive a direct hit by certain weapons. It takes a lot to survive a nuke. The only time and distance that counts is the minimum for the first impact, from the first warning he gets of it being inbound. If he only has six minutes, he can't get too far, but if he has twenty six minutes, he could be underground five miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 08:20 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Even during one of their parades, as soon as radar detects incoming MRVs their sirens will sound and everyone will scurry into bomb shelters. To 'take-out' the leader would require targeting civilian bomb shelters.

In a land that is well known for being honeycombed with bomb shelters, it seems like you had better be good at playing roulette if you think you can hit the right one.
You don't use a MIRV.

use a B2.

Won't know it's there, can drop bomb with little to no notice or warning. He Won't even know to take shelter because there wouldn't be any warning.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:46 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,956,605 times
I was a kid in the 50's when they had the duck and cover drills at school. Even as kids we realized being under a desk wouldn't help you survive an atomic bomb. We used to have a joke. In case of an atomic attack, put your head between your legs, and kiss your butt goodbye.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I was a kid in the 50's when they had the duck and cover drills at school. Even as kids we realized being under a desk wouldn't help you survive an atomic bomb. We used to have a joke. In case of an atomic attack, put your head between your legs, and kiss your butt goodbye.
If you are at ground zero, you are correct. But if you are outside of the totally destroyed area, duck and cover still works. This is the result of a massive explosion (see the video)
West Texas Fertilizer Plant Explosion: 'Significant Devastation' After Blast Video - ABC News
The High School building was crushed by the pressure wave, and the roof collapsed. Being under a desk could have made all the difference.

The real lesson they should have taught, though, is that as long as you are still breathing, there are usually things you can do to stay alive.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:10 PM

43 posts, read 44,292 times
Here is the skinny most people are totally unaware of, the largest Nuclear weapon ever created was by the Russians the safe range from it was outside of 50mi. So I'm clear I'm not saying the fallout will not go further, it all depends on geographical location of the nuke and where you are. That being said the largest one if I recall correctly in most arsenals has an effective zone of 30mi.

I recall thinking why in the world did we believe back in the day that going in a bunker would save us? Maybe if your in the vicinity of the blast, but after that if your directly in the fallout area your toast (No Pun Intended). Plus even if you prepped properly any filtration system that the majority of us could afford would need to be changed out after each exposure, the equipment alone makes this no longer a feasible idea.

Best bet if you get advance warning head the direction opposite of the jet stream! The US received radiation as far inland as St Louis when the nuke facility in Japan melted down they recorded it using a Geiger counter in the winter snow.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2279 View Post

Best bet if you get advance warning head the direction opposite of the jet stream! The US received radiation as far inland as St Louis when the nuke facility in Japan melted down they recorded it using a Geiger counter in the winter snow.
Yes, but a measurable reading should never be confused with a meaningful measurement.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2279 View Post
Here is the skinny most people are totally unaware of, the largest Nuclear weapon ever created was by the Russians the safe range from it was outside of 50mi. So I'm clear I'm not saying the fallout will not go further, it all depends on geographical location of the nuke and where you are. That being said the largest one if I recall correctly in most arsenals has an effective zone of 30mi.

I recall thinking why in the world did we believe back in the day that going in a bunker would save us? Maybe if your in the vicinity of the blast, but after that if your directly in the fallout area your toast (No Pun Intended). Plus even if you prepped properly any filtration system that the majority of us could afford would need to be changed out after each exposure, the equipment alone makes this no longer a feasible idea.

Fallout is also heavily dependent up on what type of target is being destroyed.

The same warhead being used as An air burst, a surface burst or a near surface burst all have different effects and substantially different fallout characteristics.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:40 PM

147 posts, read 180,791 times
BREAKING "North Korea Fires Missile Over Japan" (Shelter In Place) Urgent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbEn-5c3rco
That's it. This is violating Japan's airspace and we have an obligation to strike NK and get this war started before they escalate this further. If China wants to fight us so be it.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:56 PM

Kim has to go along with his nuclear program. Period.

I've made this analogy before... If a homeless guy threatens you maybe you ignore him. What about when you find the homeless guy wandering your neighborhood and after that he blames you for provoking him, and now he says he's going to burn your house down? What about the following week when's he's back in your neighborhood but this time with a gas can and matches? Thsts pretty much where we are now with North korea

Old 09-14-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Kim has to go (comma here) along with his nuclear program. Period.
Punctuation.
The way you wrote it, it sounds like we provoked him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness