Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 04:07 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I'm going to say that you are not that familiar with South Central Los Angeles. The riots were really not that widespread. I moved away in mid 90's, so I don't remember the streets as well, but Imperial Hwy runs east/west and pretty much go down the middle of South Central. Watts is really not that large of an area, but its in South Central as well (Watts riots of early 60's - also limited in geographic area as well). The Rodney King riots did not make it to South Gate or Downey going east, and probably didn't make it to Compton going south (would have been close though.
I worked for Los Angeles County during the riots, and part of my territory was the housing projects in South Central. The riots were in a very limited geographic area. TV made it seem like the city was on fire, but it wasn't.
And I worked for the City with the Pueblo Del Rio projects being among my major area's of interest. The looting stream of the riots ran all the way to Koreatown from as far west as La Cienga with spikes of activity west o that and only the Hollywood Hills with no shops really stopped the stream of looters moving north on the second and third days, The flashpoint of Florance and Normandie being about 30 blocks form the LA City limit line along Century (100 south).

Compton was where the active duty Marines were deployed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 04:11 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Nah, don't kill them. A dye bomb would probably teach them more a lesson than killing them.

Editor's note: that's "dye" bomb, NOT "die" bomb.
Ever hear of simunition? Dye cartridges might be an alternative to killing people.

https://simunition.com/en/products/f...ing_cartridges

Old 03-26-2020, 06:57 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
And "getting lost" includes scaling barbed wire fences that are clearly posted with "no trespassing" signs all over the place? Seems more like a death wish to me.
Why would anyone have barbed wire fences around their homes? This is real life, not a movie.

This is a situation where it's a little inconvenient to go get groceries. Anything beyond buying an extra bag or two of rice is overkill in terms of reaction to current events.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:03 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Why would anyone have barbed wire fences around their homes? This is real life, not a movie.

This is a situation where it's a little inconvenient to go get groceries. Anything beyond buying an extra bag or two of rice is overkill in terms of reaction to current events.
Have you never been to a ranch or farm? There are more miles of barbed wire fences in this country than any other type of fence.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Have you never been to a ranch or farm? There are more miles of barbed wire fences in this country than any other type of fence.
Yes, I have (I lived in Wyoming for a while, I'm no stranger to ranches). Actual working farms with animals to keep in will have barbed wire fences. People living on 'ranches and farms' that aren't working more often than not won't, it's just not needed. It's fairly over the top to have fences/signs for the sole purpose of keeping people out. We live in a civilized society, not in a post-apocalyptic movie world. That's been the fundamental problem with this thread. This idea of barring the windows, and "taking a stand" to shoot or repel intruders is an incredibly over the top reaction to current day events.

I live in a major city in the east cost at the moment. If things turn violent, I'll see it a LOT sooner than anyone living on a farm will. I'm not remotely close to being worried about rioting/looting/intruders. We're a ways away from things being that bad.

Last edited by Lekrii; 03-26-2020 at 08:34 PM..

Old 03-26-2020, 08:48 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Sometimes people do just get lost. They aren’t coming on your land to kill and eat you. They may simply turn right instead of left. The same people some of you may be willing to fill full of lead could be your neighbors grandkids or relatives. So ease up on killing razing pillage and plunder.

It’s really amazing how something like this brings out the real person. I’m lucky to be where I am because everyone in my town has been nothing but nice and helpful.
How do you know someone isn’t trespassing on my land to kill me? You don’t. They very well could have bad intentions in mind.

No one gets lost in my area. There’s literally only one road and it’s the middle of BFE Alaska. No one arrives here by accident. There’s plenty of houses along the only road if someone got impossibly lost and needed help or “directions” for the one way they’ve been traveling for thousands of miles. Why would they then travel down an unnamed dead end private “road” that’s frequently impassable and is more like a trail, then turn and continue down my obviously private driveway? They should be rightfully scared to do so. I would be.

Everyone in my town is also nice and helpful for the most part, including myself, you know nothing about me. I’d help anyone I could in need, and I do, but I’ll also protect myself and my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
OK just so I understand if a motorist breaks down and you are the only house in site the motorist has "about a half a second" to make it perfectly clear that he is not a threat when he could very well be walking up your road just to see if anyone can help him? Just how do you expect him to do that? If he is just walking normally, as anyone would in that case, you are going to drop him like a buck because he didn't prove to you in that half a second that he is not a threat? Seriously WTF?????

I think the hate the OP is receiving can be summed up in this previous post, it describes both of you perfectly:
See above. My house is not even remotely close to being in sight of a broke down motorist. A random person walking up my driveway could prove they aren’t a threat by saying something simple like “hello, I need help, I’ve broken down, I’ve gotten stuck, etc.” and I’d gladly help. That takes all of about a half of second to do. I’m not going to let them wander around my property for minutes, hours or days before they even say something. No one would. I’m also going to extra on edge at night just because.

If I can get cell service (big IF, cell booster has to be powered up and running,), and if someone from the troopers office actually answers and is in the area (another big IF), the absolute quickest they could be here would be 20 minutes. Could be hours, could be never. It’s literally up to me.

You guys seem to think I’m some sort of psycho that is itching to shoot a trespasser, which is completely opposite of the truth. I’m a helpful, nice and normal guy, who due to the circumstances of where I live have to protect myself.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:37 PM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post

Ummmmm.... I grew up on a farm. The whole thing was surrounded with barbed wire fencing--actually each field was surrounded. It kept the livestock where they belonged and the neighbor's livestock out of our alfalfa fields. And... yup... it deterred those who had a reading comprehension problem to a certain degree.

Now, yes, there was just a chain link fence in the home's yard that fronted the gravel road. But other than that, all barbed wire. The only time anyone other than family went onto those fields was during hunting season when friends would COME TO THE HOUSE and ask if they could hunt the fields. Nobody ever just hopped the fences and trespassed. Of course, it's a different world now. Many people don't have common sense these days. Back then, they knew better than to trespass (other than criminals and banditos, and thankfully we never had any of those).

Old 03-27-2020, 03:23 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
This thread is pretty wild.

In my area people are used to "prepping" just because stuff happens...like, a bad winter storm or a wildfire can cut us off anytime. My impression is that most people are being sensible about keeping "social distance" and are being careful to be well-stocked, but not in a panicked hoarder way - folks are still doing things like cutting wood and dropping off supplies for those in the community who are who are vulnerable or struggling. In dangerous times community is even more necessary, IMO, not less necessary.

I'm living in "town" now (such as it is, lol) but I used to be in a cabin in the boonies and I'd still get a couple benign wanderers a year...lost hikers once, a guy who got bad directions to visit my "neighbor" and went down the wrong dirt road, hunters who mixed up the boundaries of the nearby public lands, that sort of thing. Once I had a pair of truly adventurous young Mormons stop by. Never had to whip out my gun, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
How do you know someone isn’t trespassing on my land to kill me? You don’t. They very well could have bad intentions in mind.

No one gets lost in my area. There’s literally only one road and it’s the middle of BFE Alaska. .
Don't you live in an area that gets home mail and package delivery, or am I mixing you up with someone else from the Alaska forum? If so, how BFE can it actually be - even if your house is a distance from a heavily traveled roadway, your land must be in the more developed part of the state, which would mean people coming and going in the general vicinity.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Ummmmm.... I grew up on a farm. The whole thing was surrounded with barbed wire fencing--actually each field was surrounded. It kept the livestock where they belonged and the neighbor's livestock out of our alfalfa fields. And... yup... it deterred those who had a reading comprehension problem to a certain degree.

Now, yes, there was just a chain link fence in the home's yard that fronted the gravel road. But other than that, all barbed wire. The only time anyone other than family went onto those fields was during hunting season when friends would COME TO THE HOUSE and ask if they could hunt the fields. Nobody ever just hopped the fences and trespassed. Of course, it's a different world now. Many people don't have common sense these days. Back then, they knew better than to trespass (other than criminals and banditos, and thankfully we never had any of those).
Of course you never had a problem. Putting up fences and signs for the express purpose of keeping people out is incredibly over the top for civilized society. Again, one of the biggest problems with this pandemic is people's overreactions. One of the biggest overreactions is people reaching for guns, and having the mindset of "I'll shoot anyone who comes on my property". Simply assuming someone on your property is a criminal to the extent you'd shoot them without talking first (as in the OP) is an extreme I sincerely hope people aren't serious about.

Less than 1% of people live on farms/ranches. Those are situations that are very far from the norm. It's safe to say the random house you stumble upon will NOT be a ranch or farm where a crazy person trying to unnecessarily bunker down with their guns and ammo lives. If this pandemic has taught us anything, it's that self-sufficiency is really not needed. People need to be prepared, but our energy needs to be spent in protecting the supply chain, protecting our health care system. Society as we know it isn't actually collapsing to the point where any kind of self-sufficiency is needed. Now isn't the time to barricade the door and shoot strangers. Now is the time to go out of our way to help other people. Threads like this where people talk about holing up and shooting strangers is the complete opposite of what is needed, IMO.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:02 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
So I was thinking maybe it is Katy bar the door time. The flu can be very serious to us older folks. I have locked my gates to the farm. I have posted No Trespassing signs. I do live out in the country so it is a good place to make a stand. Lots of clean fresh air. I have done a lot of work in the gardens already, who knows how bad this pandemic will get. The pantry is fully stocked, the powder is high and dry.

The reaction to the pandemic looks like it may be just as destructive as getting the flu itself. In my life I have never seen entire states shut down. I do not agree with that. Sounds like government over-reach to me. I am so glad I live in a good state for firearms, God bless Missouri.

So in my humble opinion, yes it is KATY BAR THE DOOR TIME. Release the hounds, shoot all trespassers, all hands on deck. We will be in a better place come fall time, until then keep your head down and your eyes open. This is real folks, very real.

I am ready.
Hopefully you have enough tin foil for a good hat- you need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness