Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 11:25 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
And people who walk into a store and stop right at the entrance so they can talk on their phone, talk to their friends and family, look for their list, review their list, have a conversation, whatever. Do they not realize there are about 20 people in front and behind them also walking through the entrance that they are now blocking due to their having ESPD - extreme self centered personality disorder.
Oh, I've had this happen to me before. Someone stops in the entrance to get their shopping list out. Not once, did saying "excuse me" fail to have them move out of the way instantly. Not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 11:49 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I work nights which mitigates this.. I shop wal-mart at 2AM. The few times I go in at 6PM the self checkouts all have lines and the registers are closed. Seems like they don't provide the staff needed to run the registers during peak hours anymore... they keep 1 person there to help with the self checkouts which are slow and annoying to use with large orders as they check to make sure every item is placed in the bag, often lock up and require assistance... honestly if I wanted to steal an item I'd just walk out with it. I really do like self checkouts despite their pitfalls and the lines tend to be even worse in wal-marts that don't have them... in general wal-marts just don't staff the people needed to get you in and out the door fast.

Anywho hyvee (grocery store) in our town does an excellent job making sure people don't have to wait a long time during the day by opening up express lanes and stuff so I'm not as averse to going there in the evening or during busier times. If the line is more than 3 deep in the express lane you'll always here them calling for people to check on express over the loudspeaker.

Other then that the most annoying people are ones that use checks but don't even have their checkbook out of their purse much less filling it out before the total is rang up. Some people are just inconsiderate that way and need to be told but never have been or don't care.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:05 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
As a customer, I like for lines to do one thing--move. Period. Over time, I've come not to be upset at the cashiers, but those particular customers who do things that hold up the line. The cashier can't help the situation, they're doing the best they can, it's the customers who are the problem.

The types:

(1) They don't have any of their money or cards etc ready. They've had all that time to get it out, but they don't, and then they have to dig through every last pocket. Sometimes they even have to go to their vehicle AFTER they're already at the point of paying.

(2) They count out a huge amount of change for paying so they get none back. Why is it such a big deal to get change back vs all of it being bills? So what if your item is $5.62 and you get $4.38 in change back from your $10? Is it really going to kill you that much? Sitting there painfully and slowly counting out 62c so you get back an even $5 is not worth the time it takes holding up other people.

(3) Lottery ticket purchasers. I don't know why that is, but they take a whole lot longer than just paying for a soda and getting gas. There should be a separate line just for lottery tickets.

(4) Cigarettes--same thing. They're locked in a cage behind the counter and it takes awhile for the clerk to find the exact one out of dozens of options, and by the time they go, unlock the glass, fetch it, and come back, and then the customer gripes and moans about being ID'd when it's not the cashier's fault, and they have to run to their car to get it--ugh. Buy your cigarettes at a tobacco emporium.

(5) Buying like 50 items in a place like Family Dollar or Fred's. Okay, there's no policy saying you can only buy 5-10 items, but really, 90% of the people in a place like Fred's or Family Dollar etc are there to buy, say, 5-10 items, maybe 20 at the most. I've heard them say they go in there figuring they'll get in and out faster than they will in Walmart, and those check-out lines aren't long enough to hold that much. Going in there buying like 50 items, sometimes more, just holds up things. That's for WalMart, if you ask me.

(6) Arguing about a 20c discrepancy in a price. Okay, maybe the principle is the thing, but on the practical side, wasting that much of my time over 20 freaking cents--come on. Stop griping, pay the 20c, and shut up already.

(7) The ATM card doesn't work. Stop fussing about the machine being picky. Go prepared. Order another card that's fresh, or draw the money out from an ATM. Going in there KNOWING is likely to reject your card, and then complain when it does, and REFUSING to order a new card when they're free anyway--it's silly. Get another card already, it's no big deal to do so and it will fix the problem. Stop being stubborn.

Thoughts?
Get over yourself. The world does not revolve around you.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Get over yourself. The world does not revolve around you.
What does it revolve around?

Old 01-10-2015, 12:42 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If this was really an issue the stores would address it. The reality is that the issue lies with the inpatient individual who just can't wait for it to be their turn.
The reason stores don't address is it because they don't want to create an ugly atmosphere. Trust me, it bothers them. I've worked in such places before, and the minute such a person leaves, we're rolling our eyes and even other customers are saying things like "about time, I thought they'd NEVER leave."

Quote:
It's a bit silly to expect someone to have their money/cards ready until it's time to pay. I do agree that people should be better organized so they don't have to search for money. But to each their own.
It's not silly because failure to do so holds me and others up.

Quote:
I'm a credit card user so I don't bother with change. But change is there to be used and it's their money. Who are you or I to tell them how to use their money?
Read the above remark, the same thing. If you have it somewhat ready to where it doesn't take that long, that's fine, but when one painfully counts out 47 cents using almost nothing but nickels and pennies and acts like it's the end of the world to instead just hand the $10 or $20 and receive some change in return, it's a hold-up that affects other people and is rude for that reason.

Quote:
Some people care about the principle. If no one made a big deal out of a 20 cent discrepancy, the error will never be fixed and stores could potentially be ripping off several customers. One person spending a little bit of time focusing on the problem will yield in bigger results across the board. You have to think about the big picture. One day, if you're every a manager, you will understand.
That principle ends where my time and other's time begins. Why do you think that you see other people offering to pay the difference? I see it all the time myself, it's because they have the sense to realize it's not worth holding up a store full of people over a lousy 20 cents. On top of that, most times, it's not that there is an error in the store, it's that the item was in the wrong place--many times from a previous person putting it there when they decide not to buy it--or that the customer misunderstood. Regardless, most times the cashiers aren't the reason it's like that, and griping at them is inappropriate for that reason, as is holding up other people who had nothing to do with it. Call the 1-800 number or the like.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:05 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
Quote:
I never understood why anyone uses checks anymore. But whatever, to each their own.
I also didn't think anyone used checks anymore and even wondered if stores would accept them anymore. That was until I found myself having to use a check.

One time was while I had lent my debit card to my brother to pull out money I owed him from my checking account. I gave him the card believing I wouldn't need it again for a while and that he would get it back to me before I did need it again. But no, I ending up needing to buy something before he got it back to me and my checkbook was all I had on me to access the money in my account.

Another time was last summer when I had to cancel my debit card. While I was waiting for the new card I had to go to the store and once again my checkbook was the only way I could access my money easily until I got my replacement card.

Both times I paid with a check at Walmart. The first time I asked if they even accepted checks anymore and was told that they do. I found out that (at Walmart at least) you don't even have to fill out your check. All you do is give them a check and they run it through a slot in the register. This creates an electronic debit using the information from your check. It also prints out all the information onto your check about the transaction. It even prints "void" on the memo line of the check since they give you back the check right then and there.

The biggest hassle is having to produce your ID, but the second time I wasn't asked to show my ID, I assume because the cashier forgot to ask for it.

Edited to add that the only other occasions where I use my checks are to pay my rent each month and also occasionally to pay for my magazine subscriptions or other one-off transactions through the mail. I used to pay some of my monthly bills through the mail and would use a check, but in the last 3-5 years I've switched to paying all those online with my debit card or checking account info.

Last edited by ABQalex; 01-10-2015 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-10-2015, 02:41 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Either learn patience, shop in off hours, or shop online.
Seriously, you need to chill.
This. ^^^

Old 01-10-2015, 02:50 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
Quote:
As a customer, I like for lines to do one thing--move. Period. Over time, I've come not to be upset at the cashiers, but those particular customers who do things that hold up the line. The cashier can't help the situation, they're doing the best they can, it's the customers who are the problem.
Often times, the long wait times at checkouts have to do with the fact that only a few registers are open. 10 checkout aisles and only 2 or 3 registers open. That's happened during a few of my recent visits to Walmart. And in the middle of the afternoon too, when the store wasn't all that busy.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:23 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:

The types:

(1) They don't have any of their money or cards etc ready. They've had all that time to get it out, but they don't, and then they have to dig through every last pocket. Sometimes they even have to go to their vehicle AFTER they're already at the point of paying.

(2) They count out a huge amount of change for paying so they get none back. Why is it such a big deal to get change back vs all of it being bills? So what if your item is $5.62 and you get $4.38 in change back from your $10? Is it really going to kill you that much? Sitting there painfully and slowly counting out 62c so you get back an even $5 is not worth the time it takes holding up other people.

(3) Lottery ticket purchasers. I don't know why that is, but they take a whole lot longer than just paying for a soda and getting gas. There should be a separate line just for lottery tickets.

(4) Cigarettes--same thing. They're locked in a cage behind the counter and it takes awhile for the clerk to find the exact one out of dozens of options, and by the time they go, unlock the glass, fetch it, and come back, and then the customer gripes and moans about being ID'd when it's not the cashier's fault, and they have to run to their car to get it--ugh. Buy your cigarettes at a tobacco emporium.

(5) Buying like 50 items in a place like Family Dollar or Fred's. Okay, there's no policy saying you can only buy 5-10 items, but really, 90% of the people in a place like Fred's or Family Dollar etc are there to buy, say, 5-10 items, maybe 20 at the most. I've heard them say they go in there figuring they'll get in and out faster than they will in Walmart, and those check-out lines aren't long enough to hold that much. Going in there buying like 50 items, sometimes more, just holds up things. That's for WalMart, if you ask me.

(6) Arguing about a 20c discrepancy in a price. Okay, maybe the principle is the thing, but on the practical side, wasting that much of my time over 20 freaking cents--come on. Stop griping, pay the 20c, and shut up already.

(7) The ATM card doesn't work. Stop fussing about the machine being picky. Go prepared. Order another card that's fresh, or draw the money out from an ATM. Going in there KNOWING is likely to reject your card, and then complain when it does, and REFUSING to order a new card when they're free anyway--it's silly. Get another card already, it's no big deal to do so and it will fix the problem. Stop being stubborn.

Thoughts?
Agreed on all of these although I haven't noticed that with the cigarettes and lottery tickets. #6 drives me crazy. The other ones I don't like are the ones who sit and look at the receipt because they are afraid the clerk will rip them off. It's pretty hard for a clerk to rip you off these days with everything computerized and cameras all over the place.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:50 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I also didn't think anyone used checks anymore and even wondered if stores would accept them anymore. That was until I found myself having to use a check.

One time was while I had lent my debit card to my brother to pull out money I owed him from my checking account. I gave him the card believing I wouldn't need it again for a while and that he would get it back to me before I did need it again. But no, I ending up needing to buy something before he got it back to me and my checkbook was all I had on me to access the money in my account.

Another time was last summer when I had to cancel my debit card. While I was waiting for the new card I had to go to the store and once again my checkbook was the only way I could access my money easily until I got my replacement card.

Both times I paid with a check at Walmart. The first time I asked if they even accepted checks anymore and was told that they do. I found out that (at Walmart at least) you don't even have to fill out your check. All you do is give them a check and they run it through a slot in the register. This creates an electronic debit using the information from your check. It also prints out all the information onto your check about the transaction. It even prints "void" on the memo line of the check since they give you back the check right then and there.

The biggest hassle is having to produce your ID, but the second time I wasn't asked to show my ID, I assume because the cashier forgot to ask for it.

Edited to add that the only other occasions where I use my checks are to pay my rent each month and also occasionally to pay for my magazine subscriptions or other one-off transactions through the mail. I used to pay some of my monthly bills through the mail and would use a check, but in the last 3-5 years I've switched to paying all those online with my debit card or checking account info.
You didn't get asked for ID the second time because your info was already in the system from the first time. I don't know how often they do it but every once in a while we'll get a prompt that says "ID Required. Renewal" so we need ID. I think it's only once a year. It's been so long since I last wrote a check at Walmart I'm sure I'd have to show my ID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products