Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 01:58 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
You need to work as a cashier sometimes only then will you get it.

62c is not a large amount of change, if they have it ready it takes no more time than the cashier giving 38c back and takes a lot less time than having the cashier shut down to get singles or a roll of change. I won't ever complain when someone comes through my line and does this, I need the coins and $1s more than a $5.

And if you have a check, my register can fill it out for you, it also transfers the funds electronically so you get your check back anyway.
I HAVE worked as a cashier, so I do get it. My perspectives are both that as a customer and a cashier, both.

It is fine if they give you the, say, 62c pretty quickly. I am referring to situations where you can quickly give them 38c (in this case) but they get upset and INSIST on giving you the 62c and then proceed to take quite a long time to do so. It's as if the whole planet will cave in due to getting 38c from you instead of it being all paper money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 02:25 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Agreed on all of these although I haven't noticed that with the cigarettes and lottery tickets. #6 drives me crazy. The other ones I don't like are the ones who sit and look at the receipt because they are afraid the clerk will rip them off. It's pretty hard for a clerk to rip you off these days with everything computerized and cameras all over the place.
How does it even get so far as to having a receipt if something went wrong? You would catch it immediately before paying.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:08 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How does it even get so far as to having a receipt if something went wrong? You would catch it immediately before paying.

Not if you're still unloading your cart or trying to keep your 3 kids from grabbing things off the checkout "Temptation Rack".

Old 01-11-2015, 06:53 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I've worked an event for about 10 years. The event is held every other week all summer.

Every year, all summer, the same guy shows up without his required ID. Every time he says "I didn't know I needed it". He then always "forgets" how much it costs. And that we don't take plastic. Every. Single. Time.

At least when he runs back to his car for cash, I can put his info aside and keep the line going.

Some people need to have "I'm a moron" stamped on their head.
Too funny.

Nephew worked in one of those dollar stores. Customer after customer would ask how much this item or that item costs.

"One dollar."

"And this one?

"One dollar. Everything in the store costs one dollar."

"How about this?"

This would go on customer after customer.

To pass the time, sometimes he would say that a particular item cost dollar ten.

"What? I thought everything cost just one dollar."

Day after dreary day of selling small bottles dish detergent to dopes. He finally quit. Just could not take it any more.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:08 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
Avoid aggravation and do not go shopping at a big box until after 6:00 pm on the weekends (if you go at all). I have the no walmart on weekends rule.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:39 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
This is when your smartphone comes in handy. I catch up on emails, reading, city data etc. Waiting isn't a problem.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:43 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
After reading some of the OP's threads, I'd be curious to see his blood pressure reading.

My word! Talk about first world problems.

Perhaps you should stay home, since you don't like traffic, and order everything online, since people apparently drive you crazy. You will not have to wait in line, won't have to deal with people, and the items will get delivered directly to your door. Win-win.
I know, life is too short to be angry all the time.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:09 AM

587 posts, read 915,268 times
A lot of line hold ups are the store's fault. Cashiers who can't or won't ring in certain products. Stuff that scans in at the wrong price, but the cashier can't or won't take the customer's word for it. Bad swipe machines. Stupid loyalty programs that have people digging for their cards to get the advertised sales. Not enough cash registers open.

I hate long lines too and just shop when the store is dead.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:21 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Self checkouts. I have a love/hate relationship with the %##^ things. When they work, I can get through quickly, but I've noticed that different stores seem to have better/worse systems. The one at our local grocery is the pits. Basically should only be used for a couple of quick items. If you have more than a few items, it's going to freak out somewhere along the way.

Regarding the lotto tickets, I see this most often at the gas 'n goes. Usually it seems the person in front will pay for their gas and Mtn Dew. Then ask for 10 scratch off tickets, but 2 from game A and 3 from game B and so forth. Then proceed to scratch them all off. Then get two dollar winners. Then use those to buy more and scratch them off. Meanwhile all the pumps are block and there's a line of 10 people waiting.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:37 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
As a customer, I like for lines to do one thing--move. Period. Over time, I've come not to be upset at the cashiers, but those particular customers who do things that hold up the line. The cashier can't help the situation, they're doing the best they can, it's the customers who are the problem.

The types:

(1) They don't have any of their money or cards etc ready. They've had all that time to get it out, but they don't, and then they have to dig through every last pocket. Sometimes they even have to go to their vehicle AFTER they're already at the point of paying.

(2) They count out a huge amount of change for paying so they get none back. Why is it such a big deal to get change back vs all of it being bills? So what if your item is $5.62 and you get $4.38 in change back from your $10? Is it really going to kill you that much? Sitting there painfully and slowly counting out 62c so you get back an even $5 is not worth the time it takes holding up other people.

(3) Lottery ticket purchasers. I don't know why that is, but they take a whole lot longer than just paying for a soda and getting gas. There should be a separate line just for lottery tickets.

(4) Cigarettes--same thing. They're locked in a cage behind the counter and it takes awhile for the clerk to find the exact one out of dozens of options, and by the time they go, unlock the glass, fetch it, and come back, and then the customer gripes and moans about being ID'd when it's not the cashier's fault, and they have to run to their car to get it--ugh. Buy your cigarettes at a tobacco emporium.

(5) Buying like 50 items in a place like Family Dollar or Fred's. Okay, there's no policy saying you can only buy 5-10 items, but really, 90% of the people in a place like Fred's or Family Dollar etc are there to buy, say, 5-10 items, maybe 20 at the most. I've heard them say they go in there figuring they'll get in and out faster than they will in Walmart, and those check-out lines aren't long enough to hold that much. Going in there buying like 50 items, sometimes more, just holds up things. That's for WalMart, if you ask me.

(6) Arguing about a 20c discrepancy in a price. Okay, maybe the principle is the thing, but on the practical side, wasting that much of my time over 20 freaking cents--come on. Stop griping, pay the 20c, and shut up already.

(7) The ATM card doesn't work. Stop fussing about the machine being picky. Go prepared. Order another card that's fresh, or draw the money out from an ATM. Going in there KNOWING is likely to reject your card, and then complain when it does, and REFUSING to order a new card when they're free anyway--it's silly. Get another card already, it's no big deal to do so and it will fix the problem. Stop being stubborn.

Thoughts?
For number 3 and 5, the stores should really hire more people to assist when lines get long. I find that many stores are often understaffed.

For number 6, the customer always has the right to dispute a price if it is not the same as the one that was displayed. I'm pretty sure many businesses would love for customers to accept the wrong price without argument as it would be more money for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products