Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 11:33 AM

917 posts, read 1,384,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes, that is annoying. I was under the impression that the one-cashier thing was yet another annoyance on top of the more than 25 items/several shopping carts full of stuff.

"Worst part is, this store decided one cashier is enough while other employees were walking around texting pretty much."
ive been to the store a few times, one cashier with a long line, other employees are cleaning windows/texting, dusting or just walking around fixing stuff. I mean that stuff can wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:36 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Shop somewhere else. Sounds like the store is poorly managed.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:03 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,980,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
One thing I refuse to do is let people with fewer items than me go ahead of me. Ive done this a few times and have never gotten a simple thank you. Last time I did it, this girl didn’t say thank you and called over her friend who had a cart full. -_\
That's too bad you're not thanked! Last time I was in the dollar store someone with only a few items let me in front of her. Even though I said I was fine, she insisted. I thanked her profusly - it was really a nice gesture.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:40 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
ive been to the store a few times, one cashier with a long line, other employees are cleaning windows/texting, dusting or just walking around fixing stuff. I mean that stuff can wait.
Please don't assume. 'Fixing stuff' might be the entire aisle of product, every piece of which has to move and be rearranged before I go home. It might be the 2400 pieces of mdse that just came in that has to be on the shelf before I leave for the day.
I might be on the register ringing you up while texting the boss that I just sent an employee to the hospital with a broken toe and informing them that we will be short handed the rest of the night, or so and so just called in and there won't be a morning cashier, who can we call in? Or I'm checking with another store to see if they have the advertised item we are out of that Mrs B came in looking for. I suppose I could do those things from the office, but then who would help ring you up?
I might be on my break and checking in with my kids while I grab a bottle of detergent we have on sale. Wish I could take this stupid uniform off or cover it somehow, but it's only a 15 minute break, no time for that.
I might be on the phone with the police while I keep an eye on the front doors because a customer reported a brawl in the parking lot, or waiting on the ambulance crew to show up so I can send them to the break room where the elderly customer who fainted is resting.
That kid dusting might be the developmentally delayed employee we hired just to clean the windows and dust, because she can't run a register. If it gets really busy she sometimes stands around doing nothing because there is nobody available to direct her to her next task. It happens.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
The worst is tourists who get to the top or bottom of an escalator, then stop.
Now this one I agree with. Do they not know how an escalator works? They were just on it, they know the stairs keep moving... I can't just stand on the last step while you figure out where you need to go.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
AT my local grocery store with self check out, the person monitoring will strongly disagree with you! In fact, middle is the ONLY choice for waiting. Line cutters will be directed to get to the proper waiting location by the attendant. It flows VERY well that way.
Even my local Target does this sometimes on really busy days so that they can better manage the lines. They'll have all the registers open, and just make it so that two people are waiting at each register. I like it better that way. If there is a problem, you don't have 6-7 people in line behind that person, as they've been directed to other registers were the line is moving.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Take the customers word on a price? LOL, customers switch tags, switch packaging, pick up the wrong size or brand, misread the ad tags, etc ALL the time.
I worked as a cashier for a few months, and at the store I worked at we were allowed to change the price if it was within a certain percentage. So if Something rang up at $12.99 and the customer says its really $11.50 we'd just change it. Now if they were saying it was 6.99, we'd have to call over a manager as they needed to swipe their card once it was over that percentage.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I worked as a cashier for a few months, and at the store I worked at we were allowed to change the price if it was within a certain percentage. So if Something rang up at $12.99 and the customer says its really $11.50 we'd just change it. Now if they were saying it was 6.99, we'd have to call over a manager as they needed to swipe their card once it was over that percentage.
The worst is when there is a price change. I had to return khakis at a Walmart in my college town to get the next size up and the price changed however the pants were in the shelf section for the old price and still had the previous tag (I didn't change it, it just wasn't changed by staff.) It rang up as the new price and I'm like thinking to myself huh?. I ask about it because I noticed the price wasn't changed. The customer service employee and called a stocker who found out the prices went up that day but they allowed me to exchange it and not pay the difference due to it not being updated.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:00 PM

24,475 posts, read 26,012,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Photo identification or ZIP Code is required when using a debit or credit card for purchase at points of sale. This is to reduce and eliminate fraudulent use of stolen cards. If the fraudulent user declines to present an identification or ZIP Code to verify the card, the card may trigger a fraud alert.

Customers engaged in conversations on their cell phones are occupied with their conversations and not focused on conducting their business at checkout. Phone conversations can wait for two to three minutes. Banks, health providers and pharmacies require cell phone conversations cease before serving customer or patients due to privacy laws or, with technology, terrorist acts.
1. No Zip Code or Photo ID required here.

2. I agree.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:04 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The coins would have to be sorted and rolled up for the bank to accept them, and then we still have to lug them over via buses since we didn't have a car. Quarters I don't mind, but it's too much effort for damn pennies.
Do you have a bank? They will give you the coin wrappers.

Do you not have a car because you do not want one or you cannot afford one?

If it is because you cannot afford one, I suggest trying to have a better attitude or should I say respect for money in any form. Do not sneer at the coins!

Or do as someone suggested - use debit card only. If you do have coins on hand - use them up! Use them for the bus ride whatever - a penny is worth 1/100 of a dollar - use it! Don't look down on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products