Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 12:51 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,670,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
This is when your smartphone comes in handy. I catch up on emails, reading, city data etc. Waiting isn't a problem.
I hate it when people hold up the line because they're busy playing with their phone. Like O'Reilly says, leave the machines at home.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 02:01 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Do you have a bank? They will give you the coin wrappers.

Do you not have a car because you do not want one or you cannot afford one?

If it is because you cannot afford one, I suggest trying to have a better attitude or should I say respect for money in any form. Do not sneer at the coins!

Or do as someone suggested - use debit card only. If you do have coins on hand - use them up! Use them for the bus ride whatever - a penny is worth 1/100 of a dollar - use it! Don't look down on it.
I have a bank, and I can get the coin wrappers, but then I have to sit there every night and put a bunch of coins neatly in the wrappers.

We could have a car if we needed...we can afford it and we're both licensed, but we really prefer not to deal with the hassle of having a car, especially since we both work in San Francisco.

Oh, and the buses here don't accept pennies, and neither does any ticket or vending machine.

I use my card for most things, but the places I go for lunch/drinks/snacks every day are typically cash only.

So until the penny is officially phased out, I will have to apologize in advance for holding up the line in order to search for a penny at the register.....it always seems like my bag is drowning with a given type of coin...until I actually need it!

Old 01-18-2015, 12:56 PM

275 posts, read 332,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm in NC and you'll be happy to know that we've modernized now. Gambling is now considered moral as long as someone is gambling for the state sanctioned "North Carolina Education Lottery".

But to get back to the original question, I agree about the lottery ticket purchases that hold up lines. I did see a vending machine in a chain grocery store here recently for lottery tickets, which was a first. As far as crowd control in lines, I think that would be a good idea, at least from a crowd/line management perspective.

One annoyance about lines that I haven't seen mentioned is people who use their debit cards to make small purchases (i.e. a bottle of pop for $1.50). The transaction, swiping, entering of PIN #s, etc. seems to take about double the time that a transaction would take if someone had two crisp dollar bills in their hand, ready to pay the cashier. And I know people will say it's not good to carry cash around, and if it were for a large purchase (i.e. hundreds of dollars, for example), I would agree and could see a place for debit cards. But someone routinely and purposefully not having enough cash on hand to purchase a soda seems a little absurd to me (with the occasional backup of a debit card being understandable). It at least would be better to have a "cash only" line in a store with multiple cash registers and that way the people who fiddle with their debit cards and checkbooks would only have each other to blame for holding each other up.

For the folks telling the OP that this is a trifling matter and life's too short to worry about things like this, maybe it is, but one of the fun aspects of a forum like this is it's a place where we can vent a little and share our pet peeves about different things like this.
I have to disagree with using a debit card to make a small purchase. All you have to do is slide and enter a pin, and a receipt comes out. With cash, the cashier has to enter the amount you are giving them, and you don't get a receipt until after they have put the money in the register. They also will probably have to give change back, since most people (I don't think) tend to carry quarters. I think cash is a somewhat longer process.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:09 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I have a bank, and I can get the coin wrappers, but then I have to sit there every night and put a bunch of coins neatly in the wrappers.
Gosh, you get a lot of coins on a daily basis!

Use a credit card... no coins to deal with.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:47 PM

24,480 posts, read 26,021,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Does your bank or market have a Coinstar machine? Eliminates the rolling of coins/

https://www.coinstar.com/KioskFinder

Old 01-18-2015, 01:57 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,871,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Another one that kills me is when I'm working the self checkout. There won't be anybody there so I'll be replacing bags and cleaning the scanners.
Do they tell you to bag up stuff for customers at your store? That's a pet peeve that i've been experiencing at self checkout lately. I frequently have to shoo away employees that come over and start grabbing my stuff.
If i wanted someone to bag my stuff, i wouldn't use the self checkout!!!

Old 01-18-2015, 02:13 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Do they tell you to bag up stuff for customers at your store? That's a pet peeve that i've been experiencing at self checkout lately. I frequently have to shoo away employees that come over and start grabbing my stuff.
Maybe you're holding up the line and they are trying to speed it up?

Old 01-18-2015, 03:29 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,871,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Maybe you're holding up the line and they are trying to speed it up?
Nope. Not at all.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Or they try to scan your items for you.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:48 AM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times
My problem is not only with people holding up lines, but people shopping in the stores. I find that far too many people will park their carts right in the middle of an aisle, thereby preventing me and other shoppers from getting through with our carts! It's very frustrating and makes me wonder why so many shoppers are so inconsiderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products