Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 09:22 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
I like to buy certain things at Dollar Tree (mostly cleaning supplies). EVERYTIME I go, I get someone in front of me who is buying at least 25+ items. Last time I went a couple (They looked like an amish couple which I have never seen here in Texas) and they had two carts full of random stuff. They had a lot of food type items (canned food, crackers, rice etc). I got the impression it was a food bank type thing. Worst part is, this store decided one cashier is enough while other employees were walking around texting pretty much. (Or act like they were cleaning up the store and moving stuff to where it belongs)

I have done the price match thing at Wal- Mart BUT I prepare everything before I leave. Make a list to state the item, store and price. It goes by fast but it’s because I am prepared. One thing I refuse to do is let people with fewer items than me go ahead of me. Ive done this a few times and have never gotten a simple thank you. Last time I did it, this girl didn’t say thank you and called over her friend who had a cart full. -_\
So now, besides refraining from using coupons, buying cigarettes or lottery tickets, using checks or paying in cash people should not purchase more than a few items at a time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 10:01 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,430,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So now, besides refraining from using coupons, buying cigarettes or lottery tickets, using checks or paying in cash people should not purchase more than a few items at a time?
That's basically correct, unless you check with me first to get my ok.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:14 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
No local bank in the area to deposit or exchange the coins for bills?

I keep a certain amount of coins in my wallet. If I go above that , they go in the piggy bank. I love watching them add up. I'm at 119 dollars so far!

I love every form of currency, paper, coin, check. If you have change you don't want, give it to me!
The coins would have to be sorted and rolled up for the bank to accept them, and then we still have to lug them over via buses since we didn't have a car. Quarters I don't mind, but it's too much effort for damn pennies.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:34 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I admit to falling under category 2.

But, sorry I'm not sorry. I HATE coins. They weigh down my wallet, spill all over the place wherever they go, make me sound like Santa, and are a nightmare to deal with if they accumulate. When we moved, my husband and I had to make 5 different trips by bus to the next city to go to Coinstar (we don't have a car). It's a ****ing ordeal. So now I try to avoid getting more coins at all costs (pun intended).

Here are 2 ideas:

1) abolish the penny.
2) ****ing include sales tax in the listed prices like every other logical country.
I am similar if I pay cash and have coin I'll give coins as I know coins are a commodity to the cashier from being one (that way you don't have to get rolls of coins, ask a manager for a roll of _____, etc.) The problem I have is the coins I want always fall to the bottom of the wallet no matter if I need a penny, dime, nickle or quarter. It's like Murphy is laughing at me for paying with change.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:38 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,289,738 times
My beef is when someone holds everyone up because they are arguing over some coupons/special when they have already gone way over the 20 items in the fast check isle....I don't know how many times, I have given them the amount they are arguing over, to keep the line moving.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:38 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,923 times
Quote:
That's crazy talk, right. Shoppers shop where they want. I don't even see how someone couldn't understand this or make a problem out of other people trying to buy things.

If anything -- be thankful that people are putting back into the economy somehow. Without shoppers, stores would go out of business or mark up their items so high that most of us wouldn't want to buy there anymore. Let's focus on the bigger picture and quit complaining.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
That's crazy talk, right. Shoppers shop where they want. I don't even see how someone couldn't understand this or make a problem out of other people trying to buy things.

If anything -- be thankful that people are putting back into the economy somehow. Without shoppers, stores would go out of business or mark up their items so high that most of us wouldn't want to buy there anymore. Let's focus on the bigger picture and quit complaining.
The funny thing is, the OP doesn't want people in his way on the road either....they need to get out of the way when he's driving.

//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...like-such.html

When you think about it - one large shopping trip means fewer trips to the store and less opportunity for drivers to be in the way of those driving. And while you're at it - don't die - it's also inconvenient to the OP, either because of rubberneckers or funeral processions.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:25 AM

917 posts, read 1,384,584 times
Quote:
Not at all..They can buy as much as they want my rant is more for the store for only having one cashier when the line is getting longer. Im sure we have all encountered this, one cashier and the other employees are in the store doing stuff that can wait such as putting things away if they were left somewhere else dusting, cleaning the windows.. etc

Old 01-13-2015, 11:31 AM

194 posts, read 273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I will share the worst experience, which has to do with a female Checker (at Walmart). As I was in line and had loaded my items, placing a "bar" to separate from the customer ahead, I suddenly realized that my items had begun being rung up with the woman's items ahead of me. Well, we caught it, yet this checker told the customer to "go to customer service" to have her mistake adjusted! As it became my turn and preparing to pay, I observed this checker looking downward, apparently mumbling into some hidden mouthpiece, while ringing things up. As I asked her if she "was talking on the phone" and was ignored, the same thing occurred, her adding something from the customer behind me, to my order.

I pretty much flipped as she told me the same thing as the customer before me - to go "stand in line at customer service to take it off my bill." I immediately asked for a manager, telling her the whole story. She took me to another register where she refunded my money, apologizing the entire time for my experience. I honestly have never seen anything like this. We have discussed "distractions while using a cell phone", but this was so absurd!
This is why I don't swipe my card until they are done ringing stuff up. I have it ready so I don't hold up the line but won't swipe it first. If the above happened to me I would have just walked out of the store leaving her to void everything out. I've done it a few times! So now the comments about people who walk away after stuff is rung up. I'm not going to argue with the cashier. If they screw me over I leave. I know when I am right.

The comments regarding ringing items up one by one. Years ago when I worked in retail and we first got auto replenishment from what was scanned through the registers the company actually disabled the quantity key. I know it sucks and it bugs me to this day. But some workers aren't bright enough to understand how to use the quantity key properly so the best course of action is to disable it. Or fire them. I would opt for the later but sadly it would mean 90% of the employees fired as most don't care and are clueless.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
Not at all..They can buy as much as they want my rant is more for the store for only having one cashier when the line is getting longer. Im sure we have all encountered this, one cashier and the other employees are in the store doing stuff that can wait such as putting things away if they were left somewhere else dusting, cleaning the windows.. etc

Yes, that is annoying. I was under the impression that the one-cashier thing was yet another annoyance on top of the more than 25 items/several shopping carts full of stuff.

"Worst part is, this store decided one cashier is enough while other employees were walking around texting pretty much."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products