Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 12:05 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times

Advertisements

On occasion. Too many empty shelves, so I usually wind up going elsewhere for most things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 06:08 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
They carry a few very practical clothing items that I get there regularly, including cotton slacks with elastic waist (that I can't find anywhere else) for only about $8, thin denim shirts (also cheap), and little canvas shoes (extremely cheap). Another thing that I bought there repeatedly are very durable inflatable mattresses (Intex brand that I also can't find anywhere else). So, they have some good and unique merchandise (needless to say, for an excellent price), in addition to all the ordinary stuff. I won't criticize a business family which found a way to sell things that anybody can afford, and provide employment for so many people who would be completely unemployable otherwise.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:13 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,540,055 times
[quote=AZDesertBrat;49117813]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
There are some Walmarts that have smaller carts. There's about 4 within a 30-40 min drive of which 2 have the smaller cart option. Wish all of them did. Some Walmarts you can't even find the hand baskets.[/quote]

That's because people steal them! Ours now have asset protection devices on them to discourage people from walking out with them. One day I watched a lady at self checkout scan a full basket of knitting yarn and put them back in the basket. Then she picked it up and walked out with it!
No one steals the hand baskets at Target?

Old 08-09-2017, 03:54 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yes, I think other corporations are just as bad as Wal Mart when it comes to how they treat their workers. I still shop at wal mart, though, but not often.
No, Walmart is apparently worse than most. It's been widely written that even for those kinds of jobs, places like Costco treat their workers better.

But even beyond that, they are guilty of so much more - secretly working to undercut unions, strangling their overseas vendors, destroying jobs locally, etc.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:23 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,746,263 times
I've heard those things for decades, recited like a mantra. Such things are indeed "widely written"; they've been repeated ad nauseam in every WalMart bashing thread that pops up on here, so they don't have the impact they might have had twenty years ago when they were...fresher. The only constant in retail is change, and if WalMart is the largest company in retail, then it makes sense that they will be the largest agent of change in retail, also. Those who can compete with them will do so by doing the same things WalMart does, and many of them are doing it. If you think Costco isn't out to out-sell all the local businesses around them just like everyone else, then you're not viewing the retail landscape properly.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:11 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Wal-Mart is barely a step above K-Mart. I quit shopping at Wal-Mart about 15 years ago.
Have to respectfully disagree with this. The K-marts in my area closed years ago, but I never liked shopping there because they were always dumpy. Poor selection, product strewn in the aisles, etc.

Conversely, all of the Wal-marts I've been to are much better organized - and with a much better product selection.

I definitely don't consider myself a Wal-mart snob. The one closest to me is a "Super" Wal-mart, so in addition to all of their other items they have an extensive grocery section as well, and you can even find healthy food there - if you look for it.

Again, the problems for me are the crowds. Which I guess is good for the store, but bad for those who - like me - don't like standing in line forever.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:42 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
No, the local Target is a mile closer and attracts a better clientele anyways.
Ae you there to shop or socialize?

Old 08-09-2017, 11:02 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
No, Walmart is apparently worse than most.
You've obviously never worked at Walmart, so listen to those of us who have.

When I hired on at Walmart as a young man, they paid me almost $1 an hour more than the mom & pop where I had previously worked, plus they had better insurance at a cheaper price, an employee discount on merchandise, and the company even paid a portion of the purchase price for those of us who participated in the stock purchase program. Also, my Dept Mgr was really easy to work for, and was very flexible and understanding when someone needed time off.

When business got slow we expected layoffs, but instead the company temporarily transferred us to other stores in the area so that we could continue working and earning money.

I stayed there for a year and a half until I became old enough to qualify for a CDL. Now I've been driving truck for 17 years, and Walmart is one of the most sought-after employers in the trucking industry. Unlike most trucking companies, Walmart doesn't have to advertise for hiring drivers; they have a steady stream of applicants who want to drive for them because of how well they treat their drivers. The stories I've heard from Walmart drivers parallel my experience as a store-level employee.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:55 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
No need to read all 4 pages to hear the same old thing but the thread is timely for a story about a "gentleman" I was just starting to date.
We had to go to the store and he chose Walmart as it was the closest and gave him the opportunity to rant about how awful Walmart is and greatly disparage Walmart shoppers.
"Uh, Tony, we're Walmart shoppers".
(No, I did not continue dating this hypocritical snob)

Old 08-10-2017, 12:54 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Walmart also pays university tuition. There was a young woman at our local store who started in high school part time. A while back she told me that she had just received her M.B.A. and was headed for Bentonville. All this was courtesy of those evil Waltons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products