Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:37 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,852,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I don't understand why the personal wealth of share owners would affect consumer decisions.

Please explain, someone.
Jealousy ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 10:03 PM

339 posts, read 777,575 times
Great place to get cheap ammunition.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:05 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Hell, no.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:48 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yet another Walmart bashing thread. As if we don't have enough of those already
But if it was another Amazon bashing thread, you'd be all over it.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:29 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Yes for day old bread. I make out like a bandit with french loaves and occasionally, I will get a special find like rye or even pumpernickel loaves.

Sometimes while I am there, I will pick up block cheeses. It is the place where I buy powdered milk because they are the only store around that really sells it in bulk. I do shop there to supply camp outs and when I am buying pet food to give to the animal shelters.

They are the preferred place for quick camping gear though Academy may be superior on some components.

Generally, they aren't too bad. The things I would avoid buying/getting there is meat, fish, electronics, car service, and tortillas.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:56 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Walmart is #2 in online sales now. They are working to be cheaper than Amazon on line.

We buy our non perishable groceries from Walmart.com We figure we save about 20% less than at the store, and save about 40% from buying from the local independent store. Instead of driving 50 miles to shop at Walmart, I can sit at my computer at home and order faster than going through the store. There is also a much larger selection on line. Their 2 day delivery by air, does not cost you a fee to join like Amazon like Amazon Prime. On top of that I save 5 gallons of gas each trip I don't have to take.

Last year my daughter in law needed a new laptop computer. Lowest price for that model was at Walmart in the store, and $100 less on line. Went to the store and asked if they matched on line price and they said no. She stepped over to one of the computers set up for customers to try. Used the computer to order on line for store pickup, paid with a credit card. Called over the clerk and showed him the order, which he checked and found on their order delivery line and delivered it to her. Savings $100.

Walmart is spending 1 Billion Dollars this year and again next year to gear up their on line business. Another Billion each year to improve their stores.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:01 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,325 times
I shop there frequently. It's convenient, the prices are reasonable, and I can browse at my
Leisure and not have sales associates following me or asking me every 5 minutes if I need help.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:01 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,975 times
Almost never. I would really love to upgrade that to never, but every once in awhile there is something I can't find anywhere else. Such as, in my locality, Progresso French Onion soup - 100 calories per can, tasty, practically no carbs. I am diabetic and overweight due to an actual metabolic disorder and my normal calorie intake is pretty much bottom of the barrel. The Progresso FO soup is one of the few things I can eat without worry or regret.

And no, salt affecting BP is not an issue for me. Despite my weight, my BP is great. My doctor used to joke that if I quit eating salt, my BP would just drop to nothing and my heart would stop beating.

At any rate only one WM in the area carries it, and they don't always have it on the shelves. Whenever I find it there I buy ALL that has been put out (which rarely amounts to more than 8 or 10 cans).

I used to stop by for the big packages of pepperoni because that is so much cheaper than the little packets, but the last couple of times I looked they weren't carrying it. Just one more reason to pass WM by. The more badly they stock the place, the better, as it just keeps reducing any incentive to go in there. I try to avoid buy veggies or fruits there any more because the quality is so low and the prices are much higher. This is pretty much true across the board - last time I was in a hurry and bought some Mainstay washclothes there (needed to scrub the nicotine off the walls of a house I just bought) and the FIRST time I washed them more than half of them shredded at the edges and made a snarled mess.

Low quality, low variety, I don't know how they manage to pack fewer and fewer different items into such gigantic stores, but they do in fact achieve that.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:59 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,775,862 times
I shop at Walmart from time to time.

I wear a gun when I shop at Walmart, but I do shop at Walmart.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:30 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,708,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I shop at Walmart from time to time.

I wear a gun when I shop at Walmart, but I do shop at Walmart.
If you wear a gun there, then you should wear a gun at any big box store. As weird as some of the shoppers are at Walmart, they're no more dangerous than anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products