Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 09:47 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times

Advertisements

New Zeland through to the finals.
Heavy rain forecast for the next two days - if the Aus v England match doesn't go ahead then the Australians go through by default.
Sadly the world cup has failed to capture the imagination of the British public,mainly because it's all pay-per-view.
Most matches struggle to get a TV audience of 1 milllion with the England ladies soccer matches getting up to 8 milllion.
The ECB will pay a heavy price for its short-term greed as yong kids are simply not taking up the sport in the same numbers they used to because it's not on terrestrial TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 01:38 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
https://www.facebook.com/chacha.pish...0710978300828/

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fch acha.pishori%2Fvideos%2F2450710978300828%2F&show_t ext=0&width=476" width="476" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Old 07-10-2019, 07:41 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
India knocked out -- exactly what the ICC didn't want I'm sure.

Quote:
Heavy rain forecast for the next two days - if the Aus v England match doesn't go ahead then the Australians go through by default.
That would manifestly suck.

I wonder if a nation that gets so much rain is the best place to host a 7-week-long tournament.

Quote:
Sadly the world cup has failed to capture the imagination of the British public,mainly because it's all pay-per-view.
Most matches struggle to get a TV audience of 1 milllion with the England ladies soccer matches getting up to 8 milllion.
The ECB will pay a heavy price for its short-term greed as yong kids are simply not taking up the sport in the same numbers they used to because it's not on terrestrial TV.
I recently saw a BBC short piece that made a big deal about the two Muslim players on the England cricket team. I must be missing some cultural dimension here because I cannot understand why this is so ground-breaking in England of all places. There are Muslim cricketers all over the non-Muslim world -- Team USA, Team Canada, Australia, South Africa, Hong Kong... hell, even Zimbabwe's side has at least one Muslim player. Maybe interest would be higher if there were more Asian players on the team, or would this somehow risk alienating the "traditional" fan base?

How much was the PPV? I was able to get a standalone subscription to Willow for four bucks a month. Unfortunately they didn't carry IPL at my subscription level, I'd have had to pay $11/mo for that.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:04 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
India lost against New Zealand due to their faulty Team Selection. Once Shikhar Dhawan was injured, they struggled to rejig correct team combination

1) Match winner Bowlers like Mohammed Shami, Kuldeep Yadav were made to sit in the Pavilion
2) KL Rahul is not a natural opener. No wonder he got out early
3) India had only 5 people who could Bowl. Hardik Pandya had to continue bowling even while bursing Hamstring.
4) 3 wicket-keeprs were played inexplicably- Rookie Pant as a Batsman and Dinesh Karthick who is a failure on such Seam wickets.

5) Kedar Jadhav should have been played. He could have rotated the strike which Karthik type failed and extra Bowler.
6) Great Innings by Jadeja and anchoring role by Dhoni. Dhoni had to play anchoring role. It was the last stand. Once Jadeja was Out, India lost.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
India knocked out -- exactly what the ICC didn't want I'm sure.

That would manifestly suck.

I wonder if a nation that gets so much rain is the best place to host a 7-week-long tournament.

I recently saw a BBC short piece that made a big deal about the two Muslim players on the England cricket team. I must be missing some cultural dimension here because I cannot understand why this is so ground-breaking in England of all places. There are Muslim cricketers all over the non-Muslim world -- Team USA, Team Canada, Australia, South Africa, Hong Kong... hell, even Zimbabwe's side has at least one Muslim player. Maybe interest would be higher if there were more Asian players on the team, or would this somehow risk alienating the "traditional" fan base?

How much was the PPV? I was able to get a standalone subscription to Willow for four bucks a month. Unfortunately they didn't carry IPL at my subscription level, I'd have had to pay $11/mo for that.

How is it ground-breaking by any imagination ? England had Hindu / Muslim players in their cricket Team even 100 years ago due to their Colonial British Raaj connections. England has always included players from all parts of Commonwealth - Caribbean, South Africa, Indian Subcontinent, Oceania !!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iftikhar_Ali_Khan_Pataudi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duleepsinhji

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranjitsinhji

Old 07-11-2019, 04:22 AM

Quote:

1) Main TV Channels do not show Live Cricket. Even the Highlights are shown at odd hours.
2) Tickets are very expensive. It is easier to get hold of match tickets while sitting in foreign country rather then in England. The whole process of applying 1 year in advance or buying at exorbitant rates from ticketmaster type websites is laughable. They need to sell tickets in old fashioned way.

3) Kids from immigrant communities are following the sport but then they are idolozing the cricketers of the country of their forefathers. We hardly see British kids in the stadium supporting Root & company.

This was an opportunity missed by ECB. They were hosting the world cup. Now it will be another 15-20 years before they host again.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:09 AM

Australia is 157 / 6 in 35 overs. It looks like a comfortable victory for England.

So it will be a new World Cup winner this time - England or New Zealand !!

Old 07-11-2019, 10:33 AM

Thats it. Massive win for England. We are going to witness an exciting Final. Difficult to predict.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:05 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Knowing full well my two teams (Windies, Afghanistan) weren't likely to make the semis much less the finals, I'm satisfied that my third option (anybody but Australia) has been fulfilled. Even more so, I'm glad to see it will be a first-time World Cup victory for whichever nation wins.

England was favored to win it all at the beginning, then their prospects seemed to diminish as the tournament went on, and now it looks like they're the favorites to win again.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:43 AM

They are going to show it on Free-to-air Channel 4 in England. Victory in the Finals at Lords will give Cricket a massive boost in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports