Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2022, 07:46 AM

10,765 posts, read 4,349,095 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIRqgyFjs54
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 10:21 PM

Old 02-12-2022, 09:28 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
No interest in seeing men's slams reduced to three sets. Rafa - (and as he got older and got over his 'ailments') Djokovic - win b/c they can go the distance. Conditioning matters. Afaiac, weaklings need not apply.

Always has bugged me for as long as I've been watching tennis that women's slam $$ is the same as the men. There is a difference physically in the sexes, they are not equals on the court, and should not get equal pay. 60% would be fair.

I much prefer men's tennis although, from time to time, I have seen a women's match worth watching. I'm always pleasantly surprised when a smaller weaker "appearing" opponent beats Serena. Once saw a picture of her w/Rafa - she was bigger than him, obviously weighed more. Often mused in her younger years, she belonged with the men. I'd like to see her play five sets. Loved the Clijsters win at the USOpen - Serena showed her true colors that day - but only got a slap on the wrist for abominable behavior. Not and never have been a fan, obviously.

Old 02-12-2022, 11:27 PM

^ Hingis vs. Serena was a good match-up, Serena only won it 7-6.
And Hingis leads 11-10 vs. Venus.
So Hingis is 17-17 vs. Williams

Old 02-15-2022, 02:21 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Novak Djokovic will not get the Covid vaccine (BBC news) :

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-60354068

He is willing to forgo any more chances at Majors on principle.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:43 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post

Makes Nadals chances for another French Open title even better. Novak is clearly his biggest threat on clay.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:56 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post

Odd decision, IMO. The worm has turned quickly on this issue. Last Summer it was looking like Novak was on his way to 21 Slams and completing the calendar year Grand Slam, cementing himself as the best ever. Fast forward to next winter and he is now behind Nadal again, who got to 21 first, and may fiddle away several more winnable Slams because he won't get a needle put in his arm.

My guess is "History won't care." Nadal looks more and more like the member of the Big 3 who will finish with the most Slams, and likely gets the GOAT title. Novak will be seen as a guy that could have got there, but hit a line-judge in the neck with a rage whack, opted out of Slams on principle, and was overall too volatile and disagreeable to seal the deal.

Old 02-17-2022, 08:23 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Odd decision, IMO. The worm has turned quickly on this issue. Last Summer it was looking like Novak was on his way to 21 Slams and completing the calendar year Grand Slam, cementing himself as the best ever. Fast forward to next winter and he is now behind Nadal again, who got to 21 first, and may fiddle away several more winnable Slams because he won't get a needle put in his arm.

My guess is "History won't care." Nadal looks more and more like the member of the Big 3 who will finish with the most Slams, and likely gets the GOAT title. Novak will be seen as a guy that could have got there, but hit a line-judge in the neck with a rage whack, opted out of Slams on principle, and was overall too volatile and disagreeable to seal the deal.
I certainly don’t disagree on any of this.
I have always been a fan of Novak Djokovic the tennis player, but this is a crazy decision and he is now dependent on all the Grand Slams relaxing the rules regarding Covid vaccinations, and/or the end of the Pandemic.
By that stage the horse may have already bolted, and it’s too late.
The history books will always say who won the Majors, not who didn’t attend , who got defaulted, who was injured etc.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:00 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

He may, he may not.
Tim Henman has already stated that he’ll be allowed to play The Championships vaccinated or no.
And who knows what the Covid landscape will look like by the time the French rolls around.
If the trend of declining cases continues, this may all become moot.

In any event, he plays Dubai next week and in the meantime, some great tennis being played this week and last.
I had forgotten how heavy the schedule is/was now that things are semi-normal.
Three ATP events last week, four this week.
Good times.

Congratulations to Felix on his first win, at a 500 no less.
He’s looking good so far this week as well.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:18 AM

I wonder if Djokovic will end up missing as many slams as Nadal....

Nadal was defending champion and Did Not Play:
2009 Wimbledon
2014 US Open
2020 US Open

Nadal also Did Not Play:
2003 French Open
2004 French Open
2004 Wimbledon
2006 Australian Open
2012 US Open
2013 Australian Open
2016 Wimbledon
2021 US Open

And Nadal retired from:
2010 Australian Open (QF) defending champion
2016 French Open (3rd Round)
2018 Australian Open (QF)
2018 US Open (SF) defending champion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports