Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2022, 06:29 AM

1,711 posts, read 808,329 times

Advertisements

I've said for a while the Tiafoe, while on, looks like he can beat anybody but it seem after a set and a half he loses focus or stanima or something. Maybe this is his turn around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 11:02 PM

3,500 posts, read 1,412,090 times
Oh man, Kyrgios is out! It was a heck of a fight too! Quality tennis between him and Khachanov!

Old 09-07-2022, 11:03 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Oh man, Kyrgios is out! It was a heck of a fight too! Quality tennis between him and Khachanov!
I was kind of sad to see him lose but he could use a little sports psychology to help him deal with the anger. Still, I like the guy and he's quite a talented player.

Old 09-07-2022, 03:51 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caj727 View Post
Not surprised by Tiafoe beating Nadal. If you just only watched tennis the last 6 weeks, there wasn’t much you’d see that would suggest a disparity in performance.
As for these organizers, these clowns shouldn’t be running even a lemonade stand. Eight matches. Two indoor courts. You start at 11 am. You knew the chances of rain were highly probable. To have those opening matches delayed twice, including to dry the court, showcases the incompetence. It’s asinine for these matches to always start way later than they should. Well after midnight on a weeknight local time? Good grief. Tennis is the only sport that I swear, intentionally wants to turn off the general public and not grow its brand.
Love that some of the Open matches are played in the evening..

Old 09-07-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I was kind of sad to see him lose but he could use a little sports psychology to help him deal with the anger. Still, I like the guy and he's quite a talented player.
His sportsmanship is so bad, it's downright laughable!

Old 09-07-2022, 08:15 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
His sportsmanship is so bad, it's downright laughable!
I didn't watch this one, but I can just imagine.

Look, it's tennis. The solution to ANY mistake is to just go out and win the next point. Always. You don't have to be as Zen as you do in golf in forgetting the last shot, but it's pretty close.

Any player from an amateur playing his spouse on the weekend to a Grand Slam winner knows there is a solution to almost every problem you are getting hit at you. Whether your game is good enough to make the adjustment is another question, but if you don't enjoy the intellectual challenge of a well-matched opponent, you won't have fun out there playing. I'll go a step further and say one my favorite parts about both playing and watching is when you go to Plan B, or even Plan C, and turn a match around in your favor.

Oh, and after a few years of frustrating injury, I played right-handed again and felt really good last week. My one-hand backhand was singing. I was painting the baseline with ground strokes and clearing the net on slices by inches. I play with a 1990 Sampras-style ProStaff and when you hit that sweet spot, it is like a hot knife through butter, so satisfying.

My wife adjusted and hit good shots to my forehand side, where I do struggle to get good top spin with the smaller racquet head, but I was moving well enough to get many of them back too. That said, she probably would beat me right now if we played a full set, but I am happy that Fall is here and I am moving better and seeing the ball well.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldsm0bile View Post
I love the late night matches at the US open. Nothing like them. Som of the greatest matches I have seen were night matches at the US open, (Connors, Todd Martin, among others)
Yeah but this Alcaraz vs Sinner match is taking forever! It’s already midnight and only two sets completed. I can’t finish watching because I have to go to bed now since I have to get up early in the morning for a dentist appointment. But keep me posted on how the match went!

Old 09-08-2022, 04:30 AM

1,149 posts, read 452,024 times
2:50 am. Brilliant organizing yet again. Thousands of empty seats. And too bad. I hear it was a brilliantly played match. Again, how can these matches be allowed to start so late? Put the pedal to the metal guys. No reason for the Pegula-Swiatek match to wait until 7:00 pm eastern to begin.

Old 09-08-2022, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caj727 View Post
2:50 am. Brilliant organizing yet again. Thousands of empty seats. And too bad. I hear it was a brilliantly played match. Again, how can these matches be allowed to start so late? Put the pedal to the metal guys. No reason for the Pegula-Swiatek match to wait until 7:00 pm eastern to begin.
So glad to hear Alcaraz won! I figured the match was going to last at least five hours. The match was really competitive and in two hours, only two sets were completed. So we were averaging one hour per set.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:45 PM

Oh wow, just got back from attending the women’s semifinal. What a match between Swiatek and Sabalenka!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports