Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 03:24 AM

8 posts, read 26,822 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Springfield in the next couple months and soon after will be buying a house. We'd like to live in either Springfield, Nixa or Ozark. Is there anywhere in these towns that we should avoid? We are a family of 5 with 3 young girls. We are looking for a 4 bdr house with a finished basement. We'd like to find a nice subdivision in a good school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 11:47 PM

8 posts, read 22,778 times
I hate to sound this way but I'd personally steer clear of Springfield and Springfield public schools!! Both Ozark and Nixa have EXCELLENT schools and are very nice communities. Nixa has had some serious growth issues in the last few years (they grew too fast for their waterworks and had to halt all building permits till they got it under control) and the traffic in Nixa is pretty heavy most of the time. Ozark has less traffic difficulties, is the county seat, has a library, and has done a fabulous job of controlling their growth rate. Would be glad to answer specific questions for you if you're interested. Good luck to ya!

Old 03-25-2007, 08:54 PM

42 posts, read 217,165 times
If you choose Springfield.....stay away from nw Springfield

Old 03-25-2007, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,555 times
I recommend both Nixa and Republic. My family relocated there and loves it.
For rental housing check out <deleted by moderator>. They'll help you rent short term and buy when you're ready. The Nixa Chamber will send you a relocation package. Good luck.

Last edited by Ozarks21; 03-26-2007 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: ad

Old 03-26-2007, 12:54 PM

15 posts, read 61,716 times
I would recommend staying away from the small, crowded, older neighborhoods in central Springfield. There's no doubt some good people live there, but there are also a lot of scary people there too. My family owns some rental property just south of Kearney and we've had a lot of interesting renters... and that's not the good kind of interesting either. I also helped my brother-in-law move his then girlfriend out of a house right off Kearney and the next door neighbors came by, doped up on drugs, trying to start trouble. This wasn't late at night either, it was 5PM in the summer!

Old 04-02-2007, 07:52 PM

54 posts, read 182,406 times
Stay away from the NW area, Around the Commercial,Grant, and Kearney Streets, Go a little further north just past norton and look at houses around that area, They are almost all on some land and have very nice people around you for what little you will ever see any of them. Or stay close to the southern springfield and you will be fine.

However keep in mind, I don't know where your used to living, But springfield "Bad" areas are not really that bad, Its nothing like living in the "Bad" areas of KC, Oklahoma, LA, Etc... Lets put it this way, I yet to see a gas station or daycare protected by bullet proof glass in springfield.

Good luck on your house hunt.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:59 PM

9 posts, read 25,589 times
How close to Spfd do you need to be? Bolivar, Stockton or Marshfield areas?

I would choose either Nixa or Ozark over "in" Spfd. I love the Spfd area but not to really live in town. There are areas that are great though, so talk to folks that actually live around here first before buying. I could list some areas to look at but, I would leave someones area out then we would have a posting feud here and we don't want that.

Highland Springs area or Saddlebrooke or see what I mean? I guess you will have to narrow it down some.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,211 times
I was raised north of town, and now I teach on the south side of Springfield and live on the north side of town. (I have also lived on the west side of town, and it was a smidge scary.) There are pros and cons to the edges of Springfield, and you'll run across the odd kook no matter where you go. However, I would not want to live in the midtown area.

I think it would be nice to head further north.

By the way, I may be a tiny bit biased, but I think Springfield schools are quite good! As a district, we do better than the state average on the MAP. The school where I teach has a great reputation, and the north side school where my own children attend is a jewel!

Old 05-01-2007, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 14,072 times
To be quite honest there is no "bad" place to live in Springfield. There are places that appeal undesirable to most but Springfield is a small city Crime is not bad here. I bought my first house here when I was 19 on Mt. Vernon St just west of Kansas Expressway. Many of my friends thought it was a run down side of town, it wasn't there was nothing but good people all around me. I raised my first child there for two years there is nothing to be afraid of over there. Soon after I got a much higher paying job elsewhere and bought a house over in Emerald Park, very very nice neighborhood.

These are the areas of Springfield that I think are very nice. East side (which is where I live), Southeast, South central, South west, & far north (north of Norton rd.)

All the other areas of Springfield are fine, you won't get stabbed or killed if you live in another area of Springfield. The thing is with the north & central side is that those areas are much older than those that I listed so they will look rundown a bit. Give the areas that I listed about 50 or so years and they may look similar.

One thing that is for sure is that you will notice a significant price increase in a house that is in one of the areas that I listed rather than one that is not.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:10 AM

3 posts, read 10,933 times
Marshfield area is nice, unconjested and land and housing prices are very reasonable compared to the areas south of Spfld. such as Ozark-Nixa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area