Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 04:01 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
You want Louisville to be like St. Louis and Cincinnati so you pump this made-up Southern culture into them to make Louisville seem less Southern. St. Louis is easily as Midwest as Indy and Omaha. In some ways it is MORE Midwestern because the St. Louis accent has the NCVS, something Omaha and Indy don't have. St. Louis has minimal Southern culture at best as does Cincy. I've lived here close to 30 years and I experienced a culture shock when I was in Louisville. THe only way you would claim St. Louis has lots of Southern culture is if you've never been there, which I strongly suspect you haven't. And even if you have, you don't know nearly as much about it as the vast number of posters who are native to this city, including me, in this thread.
Actually, I don't care too much for Cincinnati or STL...don't hate them but do not love them. I want Louisville to be nothing like them....but being a major 19th century, industrial based river city , it IS ABSOLUTELY very similar to Cinci and STL, albeit in a smaller metro area. Evansville, IN is very similar to STL, on an even smaller scale.

I have spend TONS of time in STL. I was just there a few weeks ago and travel there with regularity for business. There is an old school, southern grit, soul vive there. True, its mostly Midwest, but the southern influence is undeniable.

BTW, STL has some great southern food. Here are just a few spots

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/foodb...ts-in-st-louis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 05:31 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Actually, I don't care too much for Cincinnati or STL...don't hate them but do not love them. I want Louisville to be nothing like them....but being a major 19th century, industrial based river city , it IS ABSOLUTELY very similar to Cinci and STL, albeit in a smaller metro area. Evansville, IN is very similar to STL, on an even smaller scale.

I have spend TONS of time in STL. I was just there a few weeks ago and travel there with regularity for business. There is an old school, southern grit, soul vive there. True, its mostly Midwest, but the southern influence is undeniable.

The 9 Best Southern Restaurants in St. Louis | Food Blog | St. Louis News and Events | Riverfront Times
Chicago has great Southern food as well. All Midwestern cities have plenty of Southern restaurants. Stop trying to Southernize it. Apart from a few demographics Louisville does not share anything in common with either St. Louis or Cincinnati. Period. And St. Louis has very little Southern influence either. I'm sorry but you are very misguided. Louisville is Southern. St. Louis and Cincinnati are Midwestern. End of story. I agree there are historic similarities, but to say there are modern similarities is being untruthful.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:45 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:

The 9 Best Southern Restaurants in St. Louis | Food Blog | St. Louis News and Events | Riverfront Times
Southern grit and soul vibe? What?

Old 07-18-2016, 08:49 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Chicago has great Southern food as well. All Midwestern cities have plenty of Southern restaurants. Stop trying to Southernize it. Apart from a few demographics Louisville does not share anything in common with either St. Louis or Cincinnati. Period. And St. Louis has very little Southern influence either. I'm sorry but you are very misguided. Louisville is Southern. St. Louis and Cincinnati are Midwestern. End of story. I agree there are historic similarities, but to say there are modern similarities is being untruthful.
Do you see Louisville being as southern 20 years from now if it continues to see growth? I wonder if the people moving there are from very far away, or if they're from rural Kentucky moving into the bigger city due to job prospects. I noticed since the recession many rural areas have lost population assuming because of the bad economy. Even here in Florida which the population keeps growing, a lot of rural areas especially in north FL have been losing population while the more metro areas have been exploding.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Do you see Louisville being as southern 20 years from now if it continues to see growth? I wonder if the people moving there are from very far away, or if they're from rural Kentucky moving into the bigger city due to job prospects. I noticed since the recession many rural areas have lost population assuming because of the bad economy. Even here in Florida which the population keeps growing, a lot of rural areas especially in north FL have been losing population while the more metro areas have been exploding.
Yes it will always be Southern.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:24 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Man, this horse is long dead and beginning to smell -- not like those at the Kentucky Derby, either. Put away the whips. St. Louis is not southern in this day and age. Go get a brain sandwich, a concrete or some toasted ravioli and a beer. Enjoy the city's unique history and diverse heritage ... all things and all places change over time.

Go check out city history at Calvary Cemetery -- city founder Rene Auguste Choteau, Dred Scott, General William Tecumseh Sherman (plus other Generals from both sides), Tennessee Williams, Kate Chopin, Louis Chauvin, Charles and Ray Eames, Father DeSmet and Antoine Soulard are buried there along with my unmarked pauper Irish ancestors. Senator Thomas Hart Benton, James Eads, William Clark, Susan Blow, Sterling Price, Manuel Lisa, Dr. William Beaumont, Sara Teasdale, Edward Bates, Benjamin Bonneville, William S. Burroughs and Adolphus Busch are next door in Bellefontaine Cemetery.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Yes it will always be Southern.
Probably so. I don't see a big influx of Yankees moving from the NE to Louisville to retire like they do here in Florida and warmer areas.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Man, this horse is long dead and beginning to smell -- not like those at the Kentucky Derby, either. Put away the whips. St. Louis is not southern in this day and age. Go get a brain sandwich, a concrete or some toasted ravioli and a beer. Enjoy the city's unique history and diverse heritage ... all things and all places change over time.

Go check out city history at Calvary Cemetery -- city founder Rene Auguste Choteau, Dred Scott, General William Tecumseh Sherman (plus other Generals from both sides), Tennessee Williams, Kate Chopin, Louis Chauvin, Charles and Ray Eames, Father DeSmet and Antoine Soulard are buried there along with my unmarked pauper Irish ancestors. Senator Thomas Hart Benton, James Eads, William Clark, Susan Blow, Sterling Price, Manuel Lisa, Dr. William Beaumont, Sara Teasdale, Edward Bates, Benjamin Bonneville, William S. Burroughs and Adolphus Busch are next door in Bellefontaine Cemetery.
I agree it's not a southern city anymore. Maybe the debate should be what influences are left. As another forum user put it there are still some slight traces, influences left though but not a lot. is Can't forget about Governor Sterling Price's grave. Beautiful piece of work for a great man. Came to the defense of Missouri when called upon despite his men many times being outnumbered and equipped with outdated weapons put up tough battles.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:35 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Louisville has no pull for Yankees. Most of my Northern counterparts had no idea where it even is or what significance it has. Most people that move to Louisville are rural Kentuckians who want better opportunity away from a poor and depressed state. If anything the city gets more Southern with time.

Indiana is next door but Southern Indiana ESPECIALLY Jeffersonville, New Albany, and Clarksville identify with the South. Even people from other parts of Indiana don't see them as brethren.

Louisville is not seen as Midwest by neighboring cities. Indy people don't see Louisville as a fellow Midwest city. Cincy people don't either. They see it as the South. Louisville may have people who identify with the Midwest but the Midwest just looks at them funny.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Louisville has no pull for Yankees. Most of my Northern counterparts had no idea where it even is or what significance it has. Most people that move to Louisville are rural Kentuckians who want better opportunity away from a poor and depressed state. If anything the city gets more Southern with time.

Indiana is next door but Southern Indiana ESPECIALLY Jeffersonville, New Albany, and Clarksville identify with the South. Even people from other parts of Indiana don't see them as brethren.

Louisville is not seen as Midwest by neighboring cities. Indy people don't see Louisville as a fellow Midwest city. Cincy people don't either. They see it as the South. Louisville may have people who identify with the Midwest but the Midwest just looks at them funny.
This a thousand times over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis