Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 03:16 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Louisville has no pull for Yankees. Most of my Northern counterparts had no idea where it even is or what significance it has. Most people that move to Louisville are rural Kentuckians who want better opportunity away from a poor and depressed state. If anything the city gets more Southern with time.

Indiana is next door but Southern Indiana ESPECIALLY Jeffersonville, New Albany, and Clarksville identify with the South. Even people from other parts of Indiana don't see them as brethren.

Louisville is not seen as Midwest by neighboring cities. Indy people don't see Louisville as a fellow Midwest city. Cincy people don't either. They see it as the South. Louisville may have people who identify with the Midwest but the Midwest just looks at them funny.
I have to agree about rural KY. Last year when we moved to FL on our way down we spent the night somewhere in the Jackson Purchase area of KY. Don't remember the town or county but it was a but south of Paducah in between Murray and Benton areas, maybe just under a half hour from KY Lake. The town was very depressing, a lot of abandoned hotels/motels and small strip malls. You could tell the economy was bad around there, little factory work or industry and the roads were in terrible shape as well. Simply no Tax Revenue being generated to fix the infrastructure obviously and it was a dry county and they were trying to vote to end it though. Locals were nice though and didn't run into any rude people but it was sad seeing how little infrastructure and money them people have.

Would you say it's as bad as Missouri where people from KC and Stl think the southern Missouri Ozarks and the Bootheel are a totally different planet? Many people look down on the bootheel and the Ozarks as being rednecks and hicks that belong with Arkansas. heck it was like that are the start of the civil war between Stl and rural MO.

I'm not shocked about the bordering counties in IN you listed are pretty southern. Just like southern IL around the Ohio river around Cairo, and Metropolis is pretty Southern as well and not Midwestern. Indiana is second behind Missouri for most southern influenced Midwestern state. Missouri is the only Midwestern state that some people still ask if it's southern or Midwest as we see the debates on city data for years now. We don't see that with Kansas or Indiana being asked if it's a southern or Midwestern state. Then again IN wasn't a slave state, border state, never claimed by the Confederacy or has 25 percent of the state that is truly in the South like Missouri is. I'd say IN maybe 5-10 percent of it is pure southern and 20 percent transition zone while MO is 25 percent Southern and 25 percent transition zone which means 50 percent of the state overall is either located in the south or within the transition zone. While IN might have those counties listed that are pretty southern, none of the counties in IN can compare to the Missouri Bootheel though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 05:03 PM

694 posts, read 1,356,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Man, this horse is long dead and beginning to smell -- not like those at the Kentucky Derby, either. Put away the whips. St. Louis is not southern in this day and age. Go get a brain sandwich, a concrete or some toasted ravioli and a beer. Enjoy the city's unique history and diverse heritage ... all things and all places change over time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I agree it's not a southern city anymore. Maybe the debate should be what influences are left. As another forum user put it there are still some slight traces, influences left though but not a lot. is Can't forget about Governor Sterling Price's grave. Beautiful piece of work for a great man. Came to the defense of Missouri when called upon despite his men many times being outnumbered and equipped with outdated weapons put up tough battles.
And there SunGrins, is the answer to why this horse will never completely die. Onegoal (now calling himself MOforthewin) has been beating this dead horse for years and I figured this thread would draw him out of hibernation. He has been banned from this forum too many times to count so we will see how long he can keep this thread at the top of the board.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
And there SunGrins, is the answer to why this horse will never completely die. Onegoal (now calling himself MOforthewin) has been beating this dead horse for years and I figured this thread would draw him out of hibernation. He has been banned from this forum too many times to count so we will see how long he can keep this thread at the top of the board.
I'm a little ticked that when I move away from Missouri, MO lawmakers pass permit less conceal carry while here in FL I'm stuck with worse carry laws such as no open carry,and down here you must use a FL permit unlike in MO you can carry on any states permit regardless if you're a resident. I had 3 ccw permits when I lived in MO. One the veto is overrode they will also have lifetime ccw permits in MO. Here in FL the republicans wouldn't pass open carry again. I need reps down here like Eric Burlison, and senator Schaeffer. I hate the RINOS here.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:16 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
I'm a little ticked that when I move away from Missouri, MO lawmakers pass permit less conceal carry while here in FL I'm stuck with worse carry laws such as no open carry,and down here you must use a FL permit unlike in MO you can carry on any states permit regardless if you're a resident. I had 3 ccw permits when I lived in MO. One the veto is overrode they will also have lifetime ccw permits in MO. Here in FL the republicans wouldn't pass open carry again. I need reps down here like Eric Burlison, and senator Schaeffer. I hate the RINOS here.
Is St. Louis a southern city? We know Missouri is a backwards state!

Old 07-19-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
How does that make Missouri backwards passing permit less concealed carry? Why should one have to pay a TAX to BEAR arms? Where does the US or MO constitution say that? US constitution says shall not be infringed. Needing to wait for a permit is doing just that. You shouldn't need a permit to do it. Btw you know ironic but it's southern democrats post civil war that made laws against open and concealed carry? In Missouri when southern democrats got back into power after state level reconstruction (drake constitution) they outlawed concealed and open carry in MO.

No, St. Louis is modern context is NOT a southern city. It only has some slight traces left as others have stated in this thread.

With Missouri passing it, hopefully nearby TN passes it too. If the veto is not overrode this year, it should pass next year because even Chris Koster wasn't against SB656 he said. You need permit less carry in a dangerous city like Memphis!

Old 07-19-2016, 05:30 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,712 times
Quote:
Backwards maybe but not Southern. St. Louis is not Southern.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Backwards maybe but not Southern. St. Louis is not Southern.
parts of MO are southern or a transition zone though. Today politically at the state level it doesn't differ much. Large super majority republicans control both chambers and they have been passing some pretty radical changing laws like permit less conceal carry and we had SJR39 almost make it to the house floor. They make our FL republicans look more moderate. We will never see permit less conceal carry or Religious freedom law here in FL. We couldn't even pass open carry again this year. I want my FL lawmakers in the house and senate to be more like Eric Burlison or Kurt Schaeffer and not the RINOS we have.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:48 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
This isn't the forum for the discussion of the dangers of open carry and the moral issues that we have in the Missouri Republican party.

I do agree that St. Louis is very Midwestern

Old 07-19-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
This isn't the forum for the discussion of the dangers of open carry and the moral issues that we have in the Missouri Republican party.

I do agree that St. Louis is very Midwestern
What are the dangers of open carry? I don't see any moral issues in the MO Republican party. Under the leadership of Todd Richardson they made new rules regarding conduct. Democrats also praised his leadership this year as well compared to years past like what went on with John Diehl last year which I don't think was a big issue. He just liked younger chicks giggity. Besides I'm glad he's gone and we got a guy from a area of MO that is southern "Butler County" who is a lot more conservative than the RINO Diehl.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:53 PM

685 posts, read 767,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
KC doesn't feel at all like Fort Worth or Tulsa. It feels more like Omaha and Des Moines.
I have to disagree on this one, mostly because I lived down there. Tulsa is not similar to rest of Oklahoma. It reminds me a lot of a miniature Kansas City. The Plains/Midwestern influence is strong there. I wouldn't have known that before being there.

And that's a good thing. Tulsa was leaps above OKC. It's a bright spot in an otherwise depressed state.

Quote:
Now Southwest Missouri though around Monett, Joplin, Nevada I agree has Midwest influence along with southern.
Yeah, spot on for SW MO. Joplin felt more Midwestern than Springfield. Certainly a transitional area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
How much more Southern is STL than Indy? Based on what? I know Indy is quintessential Midwest down to the tornadoes but what are the Southern elements that STL has so much over Indianapolis?
They're both unquestionably Midwestern. The following is a list of differences. I will say, though, I've never considered Indianapolis to be anything other than Midwestern. Sure, southern Indiana has southern influences, but that's irrelevant.

Waves of European immigration. The Great Migration. Strong union history, right-to-work. More liberal politics. More significant industrialization. Much more heavy industry, railroads, and port system. Location as a major rail and waterway hub. Larger, denser urban core that is more similar to Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Minneapolis, etc.

Oh, and Fox Sports Midwest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis