Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:01 PM

662 posts, read 1,049,241 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I was at work today and heard a lot of people talking about some craziness happening in Ferguson. Allegedly an unarmed teen ended up dead. Lot's of Facebook videos popping up.

It made it all the way to USA Today.

Quote:
FERGUSON, Mo. -- A teenager was killed Saturday after police opened here, sparking outrage among some community residents.

The shooting occurred around noon Saturday at the Canfield Green Apartment complex. Ferguson police confirmed it was one of their officers who opened fire.

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the shooting victim was identified as Michael Brown, 18, who graduated this year from Normandy High School.

Officer Brian Schellman, spokesman for the St. Louis County Police Department, said "a couple hundred" people came out of area apartment buildings after an officer with the Ferguson Police Department shot and killed the teen. Schellman did not identify the person who was shot or say what prompted the shooting.

Schellman said some people yelled threats toward the police, and officers said they thought they heard gunshots from the crowd. According to The Associated Press, some in the crowd yelled "kill the police."

There were no reports of additional injuries, Schellman said.

After the crowd gathered, police at the scene called for about 60 other police units to respond to the area in Ferguson, which is a city of about 21,000 residents located a few miles north of downtown St. Louis. He said the crowd was under control by about 5 p.m. and several of the additional officers had left the area.

The St. Louis County NAACP said it has launched an investigation and asked the FBI to intervene.

St. Louis County Police are now handling the investigation.

Contributing: The Associated Press
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 09:05 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
Okay, so I was at work today and heard a lot of people talking about some craziness happening in Ferguson. Allegedly an unarmed teen ended up dead. Lot's of Facebook videos popping up.

It made it all the way to USA Today.
When I first heard saw that on the news I thought they said the body laid in the street for four hours.
That's hard to imagine.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
I am trying to hold out on forming an opinion. I know he was 17 not 18.

The police department better handle this situation the right way.

There seems to always be 2 sides to the story. However, there is no justification for killing an unarmed teen walking to the store.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:08 AM

446 posts, read 678,427 times
yes the body laid there for hours none of the residents moved until the moved the body then they marched to the police HQ. the boy was walking from the store with a friend and patrol car pulled and almost hit him. told the boy to get out the street when he was right by his building the police starting yelling and cursing and he cursed back at the police. the police got out the patrol car told the boy to put his hands up the boy put his hands up and the police let off 9-10 shots killing him right in front of his grandma and everybody in the apartment complex. the police said they got a call about a boy stealing a cigar out the QT. Which is impossible unless your behind the counter and can move the drawers out the way for the cigars and anything else to smoke. come to find out nobody from the store called the police and a person that works in the store said none of the employees said anything to the police about a boy stealing anything...he has already been criminalized anyway especially since he is dead that's how it is and that's how it will always be it will never change

Old 08-10-2014, 09:59 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
I just watched the news conference and am more suspicious of St. Louis County investigation. They are not known for their integrity and having a good relationship with the African American community at all.

Nothing was said about what the confrontation was over. No answers where given as to how long the body laid in the street. Their story started in the middle of an altercation that they are not disclosing what it is about.

I think the truth will come out.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:05 PM

208 posts, read 236,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1985 View Post
...the police got out the patrol car told the boy to put his hands up the boy put his hands up and the police let off 9-10 shots killing him...
Source?

Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
Why are they smashing the windows of a QUIKTRIP, aren't they open 24 hrs ?
If you're going to loot it just open the door.
They must have cops from all over patrolling that area. I saw a St.Ann cop car.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
Heartbreaking. I have a friend that lives across the street from the Ferguson Police Department who is pretty much freaking out. I hope violence doesn't lead to more violence and that an investigation by an outside party can reveal what happened.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:32 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Rioting, looting reported in Ferguson

Let's hope this doesn't get out of hand.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:41 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,286 times
Well there goes all of Ferguson's downtown revitalization efforts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis