Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:31 AM

244 posts, read 920,890 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
It seems like the Tampa Bay area is trying to catch up with the rest of the country in terms of beer culture. In my opinion, the Tampa Bay area has already surpassed every other major metro area in Florida where beer is concerned. New craft breweries, beer bars, beer stores, and brew pubs are popping up like mushrooms after a summer storm. Here are some of the places I know about or have been to and liked. Add to the list, let me know if there's any gems out there that I'm missing and feel free to critique the places I've listed. I'm kind of new to the area so I'm just exploring.

Craft Breweries: Cigar City, Dunedin Brewery, St. Somewhere Brewery, Cold Storage Brewery, St. Pete Brewing

Beer Bars: The Independent (both locations), The Ale and the Witch, The Pour House, The Rex, Mr. Dunderbaks, World of Beer (various locations), Crowley's, The Old Northeast Tavern, Dunedin House of Beer, Willard's Tap House, The Brew Garden (Clearwater), The Stone Soup Cafe, New World Brewery

Beer Stores: Shep's (my favorite), Largo Beer World, Leukens, World of Beer

Brew Pubs: Tampa Bay Brewing Company, Lagerhaus, Dunedin Brewery (both a brewery and a brew pub, I guess), ?????

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 11:50 AM

295 posts, read 1,450,498 times
I know Tampa has the entire panhandle beat by itself. Most Floridians (and people in other states as well) drink the cheapest beer available, so they don't get in to the culture of great local beers. My buddy from Tally and I are slowly making a pilgrimage to all the local area breweries in preparation for starting something up in Tally some day (liquor licenses are a bit of a problem up there).

Have been to Tampa Brewing Co., Dunedin Brewery, and Mr. Dunderbaks so far. New World Brewery has weird hours, or is closed. Lots of similarities between the beers at Tampa BC and Dunedin.

Love beer...

Old 08-20-2011, 12:04 PM

Yeah, I hear ya'. I just moved to St. Pete from Tally a year ago. There's some decent beer bars and beer stores, just no breweries or brew pubs. I used to frequent the Leon Pub, Fermentation Lounge, Waterworks, Steel City, etc. Have any other good places opened up there recently that I missed?

Old 08-20-2011, 12:48 PM

Whoops, almost forgot Peg's Cantina in Gulfport. Besides having a solid beer list, they brew and serve their own stuff. Food is overpriced though.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:01 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
In Sarasota, (do you count that as Tampa Bay?) we have:

| Mad Crow Brewery & Grill | Sarasota, Florida, 34236 | 941-954 BEER (2337)

Micro Brewery of Sarasota Family Restaurant Brew Pub, Handcrafted Beer, Sports Bar

Mr.Beerys : a craft beer bar : Sarasota, Florida

Home Page

There seem to be more and more all the time. There might even be some new ones in Bradenton, but I haven't really been keeping track.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:20 PM

Thanks gypsychic,
I do consider Sarasota to be in the greater Tampa Bay area. It anchors the southern extent of the area in my opinion. I've only been to Sarasota once and I liked it. The downtown is compact and walkable and I like the mix of businesses. I need to go back once the weather gets a bit cooler so I can walk around and really appreciate it. I've heard of Mr. Beery's. I know the owner was serving all Cigar City beer at some point. Sounds cool.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:47 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
We've only explored Dunedin yet, since it's our new winter home. Wow, it is a great beer town. The Dunedin Brewery, the Dunedin House of Beer, plus most of the restaurants in town have a very high standard of beer that they have on tap. It's pretty well a Budweiser-free zone.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:01 PM

295 posts, read 1,450,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProg305 View Post
Yeah, I hear ya'. I just moved to St. Pete from Tally a year ago. There's some decent beer bars and beer stores, just no breweries or brew pubs. I used to frequent the Leon Pub, Fermentation Lounge, Waterworks, Steel City, etc. Have any other good places opened up there recently that I missed?
Not that I am aware of. Ever since they closed down the Buckhorn, I started hanging out at Miller's Ale House, and drinking regular beer. Me and my brewing buddy used to brew on Sundays (5 gallons at a time), and really had no reason to venture out for OPB (other people's beer).

Old 08-20-2011, 02:19 PM

Wwanderer,
Totally agree with you on your perception of Dunedin. Dunedin's great! Every time I visit I find something else I like, and that's a lot to be said for a relatively small town. I love the compact, picturesque, well-maintained, historic downtown and all of the independent shops. Dunedin brewery is always fun and I've only gone to the House of Beer once but I loved it. I love how the Pinellas Trail cuts right through downtown Dunedin and the surrounding residential neighborhoods. I see that you also live in Toronto during less frigid months. I love Toronto. Sorry, just had to throw that in there. Great city!

gumbyfly,
I know how that is too. I homebrew and have a bunch of buddies who do too. Have you been to the places I mentioned? Leon Pub is the most casual of the lot, and has the best beer list. Fermentation Lounge is a little trendier and it has a small, intimate (cramped, standing room only) vibe.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:01 PM

428 posts, read 1,472,846 times
Z Grille in downtown 'burg usually has some excellent microbrews on tap. I walked into Alesia, a new French-Vietnamese restaurant on the 7300 block of Central Ave (fantastic food) and they had Jai Alai IPA on tap. I love that Cigar City is starting to show up all over.

Also, the Westy Pub which is a block away from Alesia (7400 block of Central) always has some local brews on tap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay