Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 07:58 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

I still don't understand why people relocate to FL and then complain that it's hot in summer. And as you point out, they exaggerate it to wild extremes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
Those would be January, February, March, November, and December, according to weather.com. (see aforementioned link)

I don't know.... *I* only need AC for 5 months out of the year. I only set it at 81 or 82 and if it gets any colder I'm looking for my sweater.

Yes, it's hot and humid. No need to exaggerate it. If people don't like heat, this is not a good place to live. I just get sick and tired of the "OMG!!! It's so HOT!! I had no idea it would be like this!!!!! It's 150 degrees for 11 months out of 12!! No one should ever live here!!"

I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 08:50 AM

644 posts, read 1,485,124 times
Don't you think the weather has gotten hotter over the past 5 years? I can remember before then coming to St. Pete in months like November or May and sometimes it was actually cool; it varied. One May on Tierra Verde I was surprised, it was dry, windy, and in the high 70's for the week I was there, but I think that was unusual. I found November in St. Pete rarely had beach weather, and I often wore slacks and long sleeves.

The past few years, it seems in late April the weather hits 90 and just tends to stay there.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:13 AM

16 posts, read 37,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama32 View Post
Kids are 8 yrs and 10 yrs and my oldest does not want to move. My job that I do here will be waiting for me in FL with opportunity to grow. We are opening a new location so upper management positions will be available where they aren't here.

My husband will need to start over looking for a job. He might be able to relocate into the same employer but not the same job. He works for a nationwide company but we aren't counting on him being able to transfer. He would need a job before we moved.

The dream of moving there was because of the weather and the ocean. The thing that made it a reality was me having a job guaranteed, possible opportunities to advance in salary/position, and relocation package to purchase house, moving expenses paid for, etc. What is holding us back is family, friends, living somewhere we feel safe and know our way around. People move everyday and I always wondered what it would be like to move somewhere else. But now that I have kids involved is it fair to uproot them just to 'try something different'?

As kbrk asked we are financially good here. I am afraid my husband might not make what he does in FL and being new man on the block, I am afraid of him losing his job if the company ever downsized. He is very valuable at his current job even though everyone can be replaced, I feel confident where he is now.

I am in my 30's and have never moved away from the surrounding area I grew up. I have traveled to other states for work/vacation but have always lived here. Same for my husband.

I do think it is very normal to have 2nd guessing types of feelings before doing something. It is something you know (safe) vs. the unknown (not safe). If you move I would just go down with the idea of a year minimum stay to try it out. It can take a while before you feel comfortable, husband finds a job, you make friends etc. So it could and probably will be hard at 1st, but it is the people who can hang in that do the best. When my mother told me we were moving from Mass to SoCal I was 10 also and DID NOT want to go. I couldn't believe what she was doing to me. Of course we moved before school started and I remember feeling so lonely and then school started and hello kids! So many new friends, I only lived there a few years but I am still in touch with my friends from SoCal (20 years later).
I always tell people, know life will be life wherever you go... bills, marriage issues (if you have them), school loans etc... don't think of the move as a fix but as a new adventure. And if you really hate it, you can go somewhere new all together or back home... they don't put fences up to keep you out. Yes, it will be more expensive but god, you get one life- try something new!

Old 09-24-2011, 10:38 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
There's pro's and con's to moving to any state or country.
But everybody is entitled to their opinion and we shouldn't harrass posters for stating their opinions. Each one of us is entitled to our own.
Personal attacks are not permitted in this forum or any other City-Data forum. Please keep this in mind.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:41 AM

80 posts, read 161,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
But is it really? In your part of the state how frequently would you say you get ice & snow? How about blizzards? I live in the north as well & during the winter months primarily Jan & Feb we might get 3-4 storms, maybe, & the snow accumilation runs 3"-6" average. We might get 1 blizzard for the season, 2 is rare, but most winters blizzards are a rarity, a white Christmas is really rare. But after reading what posters have described as FL being consistantly hot, & I do mean hot & humid for 6-9 months out of the year I think dealing with our winters is the lesser of 2 evils. Aside from ice, snow, & blizzards if you want to compare the cold tempertures here as a villain then I'm inclined to agree with you, cause it does get bone chilling cold (Jan & Feb) & that's the truth, but even that at least where I live is not the norm every single day during winter.

As far as FL goes I've often wondered how women can wear foundation on their faces, my experience was as soon as I went outside of the airport in Orlando it slid down my face, made me a nasty greasy looking thing. And wearing wigs? That's got to be out of the question, I'd even have a hard time wearing nylon stockings there. Now in all due fairness during the summer months here up north I can't wear any of that stuff, it's just too hot, & this past summer was extremely hot for the north, so I know if I lived in FL with the exception of lipstick all of my makeup would be thrown in the trash. I know women of FL do wear it, I just don't know how they wear it or can stand it?

But listen, you know your tolerence level for heat & humidity, you said you've visited FL several times so I guess you know what to expect. But what is your tolerence for insects? That's another story, they've got insects down there you've never had to deal with up north like huge flying cockroaches & lovebugs. As far as moving there, NEVER EVER LISTEN TO YOUR HEART, cause it's a habitial liar, it'll tell you what ever you want to believe so instead listen to your common sense, better known as your intuition cause your intuition will never lead you wrong, but that is if you actually listen to it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I'm in Michigan and we always have cold winters from Nov to March with snow from Nov-Feb. Sometimes we get lots of snow where we have to snow blow our driveways every day and some winters it's just bone chilling cold with little snow 3-6 inches. Always icy winters and have to put safety salt down constantly. I used my 4WD last winter a few times. Snow doesn't bother me, cold and slushy yucky weather does. Plus it's gray from the end of October to beginning of April. Everything looks dead and gloomy unless covered with a blanket of snow. It's depressing after a while. And I hate scraping my car off every morning and after work.

I am not a fan of humidity but think I would prefer that over winter. I work in A/C and in my free time I would love to hang out in a pool, the beach and humidity doesn't bother me if I am in a swimsuit. It would be an adjustment. My husband loves the heat and humidity doesn't bother him a bit.

Bugs...I am not afraid of them but of course I don't like them in my house. My neighbors have a house in FL and they have an insect service come in 3 times a year. They said they don't have any issues.

The weather I am ok with other than possibly feeling like groundhogs day and hurricane's. I have a tornado fear and hurricane's are right up there. At least you know in advance when a hurricane is coming. Here in MI the weather is so screwy. Today it's 50 degrees HIGH and Tuesday it will be in the 70's. We can flex so much. I remember having snow on Halloween as a kid.

Yes we are interested because of the weather and the tropical surroundings but also a part of us is looking for an adventure as long as everything falls into place. This might be our window to make the move instead of waiting later in our lives when the kids are all grown and we want to retire but can't afford to. This way we will already be there.

If I didn't have kids, I wouldn't be so hesitant and would have started packing by now. We can always come back.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:08 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
Quote:
I'm in Michigan and we always have cold winters from Nov to March with snow from Nov-Feb. Sometimes we get lots of snow where we have to snow blow our driveways every day and some winters it's just bone chilling cold with little snow 3-6 inches. Always icy winters and have to put safety salt down constantly. I used my 4WD last winter a few times. Snow doesn't bother me, cold and slushy yucky weather does. Plus it's gray from the end of October to beginning of April. Everything looks dead and gloomy unless covered with a blanket of snow. It's depressing after a while. And I hate scraping my car off every morning and after work.

I am not a fan of humidity but think I would prefer that over winter. I work in A/C and in my free time I would love to hang out in a pool, the beach and humidity doesn't bother me if I am in a swimsuit. It would be an adjustment. My husband loves the heat and humidity doesn't bother him a bit.

Bugs...I am not afraid of them but of course I don't like them in my house. My neighbors have a house in FL and they have an insect service come in 3 times a year. They said they don't have any issues.

The weather I am ok with other than possibly feeling like groundhogs day and hurricane's. I have a tornado fear and hurricane's are right up there. At least you know in advance when a hurricane is coming. Here in MI the weather is so screwy. Today it's 50 degrees HIGH and Tuesday it will be in the 70's. We can flex so much. I remember having snow on Halloween as a kid.

Yes we are interested because of the weather and the tropical surroundings but also a part of us is looking for an adventure as long as everything falls into place. This might be our window to make the move instead of waiting later in our lives when the kids are all grown and we want to retire but can't afford to. This way we will already be there.

If I didn't have kids, I wouldn't be so hesitant and would have started packing by now. We can always come back.
I really wouldnt let a hurricane even be a consideration. As long as your not in a trailer or south tampa (flooding) I personally wouldnt even sweat a catagory 3 or 4 coming. Of course, you need to have a food and water supply but as far as your house blowing away, its not likely. The tornatos we get here usually arent very strong or long lasting, just enough to knock over a tree and maybe some superficial damage to your house (unless that tree falls on your house, then your kind of screwed)

Old 09-30-2011, 03:36 PM

32 posts, read 49,388 times
That's another reason why I'm relocating to Tampa. Statistically, it seems to be the best place to live if you love Florida, but don't exactly love Hurricanes. I used to want to settle in Pensacola, but a real nice sized 'Cane sweeps through there about every five years...

Agree with the comments on the hot weather. If someone doesn't like hot weather, stay in Michigan, NE, etc..

Old 10-01-2011, 05:07 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbuckl View Post
That's another reason why I'm relocating to Tampa. Statistically, it seems to be the best place to live if you love Florida, but don't exactly love Hurricanes.
that would be jacksonville, i believe.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:57 AM

80 posts, read 161,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
I really wouldnt let a hurricane even be a consideration. As long as your not in a trailer or south tampa (flooding) I personally wouldnt even sweat a catagory 3 or 4 coming. Of course, you need to have a food and water supply but as far as your house blowing away, its not likely. The tornatos we get here usually arent very strong or long lasting, just enough to knock over a tree and maybe some superficial damage to your house (unless that tree falls on your house, then your kind of screwed)
One of my coworkers is looking at South Tampa. She said the schools are rated really well. I'll have to fill her in on the flooding situation there.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
Quote:
One of my coworkers is looking at South Tampa. She said the schools are rated really well. I'll have to fill her in on the flooding situation there.
I hear the schools are decent. S tampa is really diverse though. You will have a million dollar house next door to a 100k house (which down here is a dump) so as far as people at the school there will likely be the whole range from rich to super poor. If your up in the county its a little less diverse and typically the schools are a little better as far as fights and problems between the people in the school.

Flooding does suck though. I wouldnt live here just because if it. Sure, your house may not be on a flood prone street but you have to drive around too and it can be a pain in the butt if you dont have a large vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay