Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:20 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Fishhawk is also in the middle of nowhere. It's great if you hate people... Not so good if you like getting out.
LOL
Middle of nowhere from where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 02:07 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
LOL
Middle of nowhere from where?
Good point... Lithia, Brandon, Valrico aren't exactly bustling.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Fishhawk is also in the middle of nowhere. It's great if you hate people... Not so good if you like getting out.
I am struggling to understand this comment.

Fishhawk is a very active and well located community. Granted, it's not adjoining wonderful areas such as Town and Country, mind you, nor is it close enough to the airport where one might listen to the soothing roar of jets as they land and take off.

Rather, it is in a truly suburban area, within an easy commute to downtown Tampa as well as excellent shopping and dining opportunities. It has some of the highest rated schools in the state, Bevis Elementary, for one, and boasts numerous parks and recreational facilities, many within the community itself.

Middle of nowhere? I hardly think so.

As for Brandon and Valrico being "bustling"? I find it difficult to relate this adjective to Westchase relative to Brandon and many parts of Valrico. I'm not saying Fishhawk is better, I'm just befuddled by your obviously distorted views of the two communities. Your comment suggests a disparity, and I don't think they are that far apart, other than Fishhawk having far, far better schools from K-12.

RM

Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 PM

484 posts, read 761,069 times
I don't know, I kind of think Lithia/Fishhawk is an exurb - as in - not adjacent to the metro area. That could be part of why some feel is it pretty far out there (as do I).

Old 06-18-2013, 08:16 AM

50 posts, read 90,963 times
I live in Fishhawk, and I think the fact that it's "out there", as you say, is a plus. We can still get to Walmart & malls in a reasonable amount of time. We have fabulous schools, parks and amenities. There are grocery stores just outside the subdivision. It's a great community if you have kids. Lots of activities for them, as well as adults.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmac View Post
I live in Fishhawk, and I think the fact that it's "out there", as you say, is a plus. We can still get to Walmart & malls in a reasonable amount of time. We have fabulous schools, parks and amenities. There are grocery stores just outside the subdivision. It's a great community if you have kids. Lots of activities for them, as well as adults.
This pretty much sums it up.

In the next year when the Boyette corridor is finally completed the access issues will improve. If the County could ever find the widening of Lithia-Pinecrest it would really help out the Fishhawk and Bloomingdale areas.

RM

Old 01-16-2014, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,948 times
Fishhawk is a great area. It’s away from the congested West Chase. It’s truly a place for a family. Not to mention a blue ribbon school at Collen Bevis. It also sits between two parks. Alifa River State park and Lithia Springs park

Old 02-15-2014, 04:52 PM

23 posts, read 50,973 times
Take a close look at Connerton; I live there. Stay away from Wesley Chapel and FishHawk because of congestion. Go to Connerton's website; they have new homes from the 200s and have a few great used homes at a fantastic price. Homes in my section have been selling in the upper 300s and into the high 500s with a beautiful used home for around 335K. New homes are in all price ranges. Go to their site for more info. Home | New Town development community | Connerton

Old 05-28-2014, 11:36 AM

91 posts, read 131,952 times
I've lived in Fishhawk for three years. It is an hour commute to downtown Tampa -- or $100/month on the Crosstown toll expressway to shorten that to 45 minutes.

They just finished Boyette Road's widening project and that improves the commute...but it still takes 20 minutes to leave the immediate Fishhawk area -- the first five miles of my commute -- on either Boyette or Lithia Pinecrest Road on a school morning.

Fishhawk does have great amenities -- community pools, schools, sports facilities, walking trails. There are grocery stores and strip malls directly adjacent to Fishhawk. However, Brandon is a half-hour away -- if you want to watch a movie, Plant City is just as close as Brandon. Clearwater beach or Siesta Key beach is an hour and a half away. Fishhawk really is a long drive from Tampa -- it's easier to get to Plant City or Lakeland in general.

And none of this even touches the attitude in Fishhawk. This is The Proto-Suburb. Suburbia Exemplified. Every stereotype of suburban living applies to Fishhawk. And...there are a lot of snotty, elitist, clueless, judgmental people here. If you think this attitude doesn't exist...you probably have it yourself.

(Before anyone points a finger and asks why we stay if I hate it...We're moving away from Fishhawk next month.)

Old 05-28-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlenoggin View Post
And none of this even touches the attitude in Fishhawk. This is The Proto-Suburb. Suburbia Exemplified. Every stereotype of suburban living applies to Fishhawk. And...there are a lot of snotty, elitist, clueless, judgmental people here. If you think this attitude doesn't exist...you probably have it yourself.

(Before anyone points a finger and asks why we stay if I hate it...We're moving away from Fishhawk next month.)
Hee. This is what I love about FHR. I worked in the schools there and I couldn't have said it better. I live in Bloomingdale East and the people and general vibe is so much better here. Granted, you'll always have someone in the neighborhood who thinks they're better than everyone, but the attitude is so pervasive in FHR that even the kids in elementary school show indications of elitism and class snobbery.

I have said it here before - I was stunned and amazed while working at the high school one day when I overheard some kids in the Media Center pointing out some kids at another table and saying that they were from the "ghetto". When I inquired about kids being bussed in from outside the area with a fellow employee they just laughed and told me that the kids were referring to the original sections of Fishhawk. Apparently it is considered the "ghetto" of FHR.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: