Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:03 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,085,740 times

Advertisements

I just moved from Tampa to St. Pete and I miss my breakfast spots - Nicky's Omlets and First Watch.
Red Mesa has a breakfast with their unique and tasty style, but I want my traditional stuff and their coffee is bland. Lucky Dill, downtown St. Pete, is a grease pit.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 07:24 PM

792 posts, read 2,293,453 times
Well, i'm a fan of traditional breakfast. I judge my breakfast places on how well they make biscuits and gravy. Unfortunately, there are no good local breakfast restuarants that serve good biscuits and gravy. There are lots that serve it, but all suck except for one.
The closest you can get is Cracker Barrel. There are a couple of them here. There is one hardee's here and they have great biscuits in the morning.

If you like bagels and things like that, there are tons of places.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:26 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,381,866 times
IM not familiar with breakfast in St. Pete, try the chowhounds.com site for good eats. Mama's Kitchen and Pach's Place in South Tampa make some GREAT Biscuits and Gravy.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:03 AM

39 posts, read 174,838 times
Checkout Skyway Jacks on 34th Street South. I bet it is just what you are looking for. SIDE SALAD - Food For Lack Of Thought: ROAD TRIP: SKYWAY JACK'S

Old 12-08-2007, 01:11 PM

384 posts, read 2,222,230 times
Frog Pond on North Redington Beach is awesome! They give you so much food that they give you an extra plate to accommodate it all! Don't know if this is close to where you live. Also the Holiday Inn on St Pete Beach has a great brunch.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:38 PM

381 posts, read 1,686,412 times
I'm not too fond of Cracker Barrell (I've only been there a couple of times and they messed up my order each time), but there is one on 54th Ave near 16th St.

I like the Egg Platter (on Hwy 19 north of 62nd Ave N), Kristina's Cafe (on 34th St.south of 38th Ave N), and St. Pete Diner (also on 34th St near 7th Ave N). There are also other restaurants around, but I'm not as famililar with them.

As FloridaDerby mentioned, there is Skyway Jacks. I've only been there once - I got their S.O.S., but didn't care for it too much. My mom got eggs, though and they looked alright.

I definitely do not recommend IHOP or Waffle House. Denny's is better, but still not that great either, and they're really expensive now.

Hope some of that helps. Everyone has different taste .

Old 12-08-2007, 06:23 PM

792 posts, read 2,293,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
I'm not too fond of Cracker Barrell (I've only been there a couple of times and they messed up my order each time), but there is one on 54th Ave near 16th St.

I like the Egg Platter (on Hwy 19 north of 62nd Ave N), Kristina's Cafe (on 34th St.south of 38th Ave N), and St. Pete Diner (also on 34th St near 7th Ave N). There are also other restaurants around, but I'm not as famililar with them.

As FloridaDerby mentioned, there is Skyway Jacks. I've only been there once - I got their S.O.S., but didn't care for it too much. My mom got eggs, though and they looked alright.

I definitely do not recommend IHOP or Waffle House. Denny's is better, but still not that great either, and they're really expensive now.

Hope some of that helps. Everyone has different taste .
Egg platter is exactly the kind of place i'm talking about. Their gravy tastes like they poured it out of a can and mixed spam with it. It must be a florida thing though, because all breakfast gravy here tastes like that with the exception of cracker barrel. I'm just a southern guy who has a taste for homemade stuff, most people I talk to , like the can gravy and frozen biscuits.
I'll have to try skyway jacks though, that looks promising.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:37 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,647,425 times
breakfast in st pete sounds like the title of a movie!

Old 12-08-2007, 10:40 PM

381 posts, read 1,686,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Egg platter is exactly the kind of place i'm talking about. Their gravy tastes like they poured it out of a can and mixed spam with it. It must be a florida thing though, because all breakfast gravy here tastes like that with the exception of cracker barrel. I'm just a southern guy who has a taste for homemade stuff, most people I talk to , like the can gravy and frozen biscuits.
I'll have to try skyway jacks though, that looks promising.
Yeah, I'm not a Southern biscuits and gravy person (although I can see why someone who is would like Cracker Barrel; they do have decent biscuits), so that wasn't a factor for me. All those places I mentioned do eggs, pancakes, French toast, waffles, etc. really well.

I agree, though, homemade is the best . Thankfully, I'm the cook of the house, and we rarely eat out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
breakfast in st pete sounds like the title of a movie!
LOL, yes it does!

Old 12-09-2007, 05:14 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,671 times
The Dome Grill downtown and City's Cafe and Market (on 4th street N in the 30s) may be options for you. Also, TooJays in Baywalk really doesn't do a bad job for what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay