Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 08:42 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronDavidSchultz View Post
Depends on your definition, need, perception etc of "safety". Just carry a weapon, problem solved for me.
But the world doesn't revolve around you. So carrying a weapon may be a good idea for you, but perhaps it's not so simple.... Obtaining a weapon, one is required to jump through many hoops, in addition to learning how to safely operate the weapon. Not to mention, the need to just like, shoot someone is a scary prospect to deal with. Of course, it's easy to just type out "just carry a weapon... problem solved" Even if it's a knife or whatever, the idea of needing to use a weapon is a deterrent in my opinion. If carrying a weapon is what is needed for me to feel safe, then the area is not safe. Plain and simple. No one wants to have to use their weapon in a real-life situation. so yeah, if carrying a weapon makes you feel safe, then you're not in a good area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 08:56 AM

42 posts, read 53,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronDavidSchultz View Post
Depends on your definition, need, perception etc of "safety". Just carry a weapon, problem solved for me.
I wouldn't consider a concealed carry personally. So basically you are saying it is a bad area then?

Old 01-06-2022, 10:01 AM

2,338 posts, read 2,286,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redboat961 View Post
In saint pete, is it safe to walk in the edge district/grand central district at night?
It should be fine at night. Just don’t venture south of Central because it does get sketchy.

Old 01-07-2022, 12:16 AM

214 posts, read 260,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
It should be fine at night. Just don’t venture south of Central because it does get sketchy.
Is that South of Central overall, all along? or, are there particular areas/sections a bit south of Central that are Ok to transit?

I am asking as a visitor as I have been in St Pete twice only and it wasn't until last year that I ventured to walk south of central in certain areas like where the Tropicana field is, Roser Park, even downtown perhaps as far as 6th avenue and during daylight. I did notice some areas where kind of deserted and run down. I did not feel particularly unsafe walking but again it was daylight, there was traffic, some homeless here and there.

Perhaps there is an area (s) along Central Ave where you can venture south for a few blocks?
I want to rent for year before I buy there or downtown or south Tampa or somewhere else.

I am afraid I am priced out of downtown St Pete unless I win lotto!

Old 01-09-2022, 11:26 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Quote:
In saint pete, is it safe to walk in the edge district/grand central district at night?
If staying on Central Ave or certain off streets (near the galleries, in Kenwood Historic District Center, etc) I’d say yes.

As the poster above mentioned, it can vary. I’ve never felt threatened in 6 years or so of going up there. At the same time though, St Pete crime rate certainly isn’t zero. Particularly if you are walking with purpose and not flashing valuables, looking aloof or distracted, and knowing exactly the spot you are going to (a specific Gallery or brewery or restaurant), you shouldn’t have any issues, but common sense applies as it does in most major cities.

During the day pretty much anywhere along Central or a few blocks adjacent is fine to just wander. I wouldn’t “wander” at night though, know within a couple block radius where you want to go, then and maybe stick to blocks of Central with some foot traffic as a rule of thumb.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiehurt View Post
Is that South of Central overall, all along? or, are there particular areas/sections a bit south of Central that are Ok to transit?

I am asking as a visitor as I have been in St Pete twice only and it wasn't until last year that I ventured to walk south of central in certain areas like where the Tropicana field is, Roser Park, even downtown perhaps as far as 6th avenue and during daylight. I did notice some areas where kind of deserted and run down. I did not feel particularly unsafe walking but again it was daylight, there was traffic, some homeless here and there.

Perhaps there is an area (s) along Central Ave where you can venture south for a few blocks?
I want to rent for year before I buy there or downtown or south Tampa or somewhere else.

I am afraid I am priced out of downtown St Pete unless I win lotto!
South of Central in downtown is fine. USF is around 5th Ave S and it’s safe around there. I’d be more wary as you go further inland. In Grand Central 1st Ave South is probably okay, but there’s not really a reason to go further south than that.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:52 PM

I ended up deciding on st pete. I'll be living in the edge district

Old 01-10-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
You made the right choice! Thanks for updating everyone on your decision.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:11 AM

101 posts, read 171,010 times
Quote:
Yes! Thank you for the update. I really like it when the OP ends up updating a thread after answers to their original question. I think you will really like the area.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:33 PM

Truthfully I am having a bit of renters remorse. While it is very walkable the people are generally older than I expected and it doesn't feel like a big city of like south florida.
In retrospect, I should have visited beforehand. Tampa may have been a better fit, since it is a larger city and probably younger as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay