Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 09:12 PM

849 posts, read 2,922,504 times

Advertisements

Recent murder in Holiday (some kids rented out a small club in the area). Kid was stabbed to death. It was recently discovered this was a Latin Kings party. Most of the attendees came from Holiday/New Port Richey.
Ignorance can be bliss, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:15 PM

Clues sought in two killings in Holiday and Hudson - St. Petersburg Times
The Holiday story, not the Hudson one.
http://suncoastpasco.tbo.com/content...in-west-pasco/
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...icle975252.ece
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/jan...second-time-d/

Check out all these links. If you want to continue to deny there is a definite gang problem in Pasco, then you need to wake up.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:19 PM

Pasco: Gang's leaders sent to prison
The stories just keeeep popping up. This one's older, but...

Old 02-10-2010, 02:27 AM

78 posts, read 169,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I am sorry that you chose to live in the worst area in the greater Port Richey area but to even try to make it seem as if it is on par with the worst areas in Brooklyn is ridiculous.
Port Richey is NOT New Port Richey.....since you are so versed in the area you should know this. And yes there are a ton of old people in NPR BUT FL is the MECCA for old people. And the stats are taken directly from this site, check out the hyperlinks that were posted. NPR is NOT NY by any stretch of the imagination. NPR is in no way shape or form great by any means. People who are not from here want to leave here, we have had several neighbors from the north that have fled from here. Maybe I am not rich enough to live in the elite area that you are claiming is supposed to be so wonderful, but from working in different towns ranging from Pasco, Hernando, and Pinellas, I can say that I am not impressed. I have been to quite a few areas on this coast and I have also talked to quite a number of people from all over this state. I can say that there are numerous people even here on the forum that have complained about how horrible this place is. There has to be something to it when there are that many people having problems. This state over all is going downhill, my family in Orlando is looking to get out after living here for 25 yrs. If you want to go somewhere to die then this is the place. If you want to live somewhere that is not going to drain the life out of you then I would say definitely look elsewhere. Brooklyn is not what it used to be, and yes there are good and bad areas in NY, but, I would take Brooklyn as it is TODAY over this place any day. Check out this thread alone, look and see the selling points of what NPR has to offer, and let us not forget those people that just absolutely love the northerners and have their confederate flag memorabilia all over the place telling people to go back North. I can feel the love just oozing out all over, makes me feel real welcome. I would be nervous when I pass a school and their advertisement says "Our Kids Can Read"......shouldnt they be able to? This is a selling point???!! Wow.......I tell anyone and everyone that is thinking about moving down here DONT! No jobs (and yes granted there arent many jobs in the US overall right now, but I am talking about overall throughout my experiences down here), too expensive, no public transportation, hurricanes, two seasons (hot and hotter), and panhandlers on every corner (and I have overheard people talking about how these so called poor people that panhandle drive lexuses). (Apparently panhandling must be legal down here, I saw a cop drive right past someone standing begging for money, and he didnt so squat.) I tried to like it down here, I really did. I was ready to come down here, but I was let down big time. A big disappointment. There is no peace or tranquility. I read a lot of the earlier posts and I can see what all of these people are talking about when they point out the negative sides of NPR. I think that if someone wants to move somewhere then they shouldn't be given the peaches and cream stories about how a place is, they should be told how it really is and that is what I and numerous other people on this forum thread have tried to do. Opinions will differ, but the majority is saying this isnt "the place to be".

Old 02-10-2010, 02:43 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Well DUH! This place isn't NY or LA

Old 02-10-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Pasco: Gang's leaders sent to prison
The stories just keeeep popping up. This one's older, but...
Thank you rich! Thank you to all those that show the reality of what this area has to offer. Hernando county just about 3 weeks ago now, a prominent Dr in the community brutally killed his wife because she was going to divorce him, and then he killed himself because he didnt want to go to jail. A 1 yr old baby boy in Hernando was killed by his mothers boyfriend because he would cry. He was being abused since he was 6 months old. 12 yr olds getting pregnant is not uncommon down here. I think it has become the norm. I haven't personally run into any gangs, but I am sure they are out there. Crime may be all over, but it is on the rise down here. It has been for quite a while now. So called pillars of the community are committing more crimes too, and not the usual ones, like tax evasion or stealing millions from taxpayers, we're talking murder. There are ones that didnt make the paper that have happened that only a few people know about. Rose colored glasses and a good amount of booze will keep a person content in any conditions I guess. Hence why there are so many liquor stores. Which is another thing, in NY, SUPERMARKETS did NOT sell liquor. They sold beer and wine, but not the hard stuff. Do people really need to get their fix that bad? Now that I think about it, you really do need to be snockered to be able to deal with this area, just read the paper.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:02 AM

3 posts, read 9,437 times
Quote:
You say, "See statistics are cute and all but when you get right down to it... the reality of a place is what it is..." and then start quoting statistics.

Only problem was you failed to notice that they based it on a population of about 17,000 in 2006. New Port Richey, Port Richey, New Port Richey East, Gulf Harbors, Seven Springs, etc had a population of over 50,000 back in 2000.
They are all part of the New Port Richey area but the 17,000 is only the incorporated part over 10,000 which happens to have a few of the worst neighborhoods.

Here is a map that illustrates what I am saying.

You know, leaving about some of the nicer areas will tend to bring up the rates and even not doing that 2006 was more than double the rapes of 2005 or 2007. There were 20 in 2006 and combined 17 in 2005 and 2007.

As far as deaths rates for counties, wouldn't you think that a county which has a very high average age, since it had been primarily a retirement area, is going to have a high death rate. You know people do die when they get older.

All the other stats you mention are similarly flawed in the they only use less than a 3rd of the areas population which includes the highest crime areas.

As far as calling me closed minded and a devout Floridian you are so far off the mark it borders on hilarity. I am also FROM NYC as you say you are so I can very easily compare the 2.

I am sorry that you chose to live in the worst area in the greater Port Richey area but to even try to make it seem as if it is on par with the worst areas in Brooklyn is ridiculous.
I see It better that I spell things out for you so you understand Mike. The reason I included statistics, which as I mentioned are not the end all be all, was for the benefit of people like you. I know that If i mention something without having facts people like you will immediately say "oh yeah well where is your proof?". I'm not a statistic lover, I'm merely covering all bases.... and your still missing the point....

I'm talking NPR here. Those worst neighborhoods you mentioned, Who the hell mentioned Gulf Harbors or Seven springs being bad? A lot of that is over by the water... and yes they are nice. Your mentioning them, I'm not. But a few areas are not the sum of what we are discussing. And the majority is what I'm talking about... that is i think were our opinions differ. If you are lumping them in with my general consensus, thats your mistake... regardless what they are considered I am talking about what is CONSIDERED to be most of NPR and even some of Port Richey... since the original poster i think mentioned PR... it was so long ago, i forget at this moment... which is not all that better for that matter. I also said that the figures were for 2006, if you were paying attention, which I'm beginning to think you were not... but rather scanning my tirade for opportunities to defend this cesspool you seam to be so fond of for some reason. I guarantee you that If city data (which is the site that all of this information comes from... so how am I getting false or fake information?) had more up to date statistics you'd see that it has only gotten worse. Regardless.... I could care less for all of that. The fact of the matter that the quality of daily life here has MUCH to be desired. Are there nice areas? I'll say it again... so there is no confusion. Sure there are nice areas... but what we are comparing is different, If your talking about all the areas you mentioned then there is more that is passable as decent, however that's not the chunk of NPR. For that matter Upstate NY is nice... so i guess NY as a whole is a completely peaceful and serene place to live huh? Wrong.

I'm not saying NPR is Compton or Watts (LA)... or Wyndanch or Bed sty (NY)... holy hell... did you even READ what I wrote? You were painting it to be this fantasy land which it is not. Those few "bad areas" that you mentioned which happen to make up the whole of NPR as I said are not drive by shooting on a daily areas... does that mean that there is not a serious crime problem... does that not mean that there are thefts in this area at least every other night? No, cause in my sub division alone 3 families have moved out in the past 6 months due to break ins.... but that's isolated right? Keep telling yourself that.

Now all of a sudden you are from New York. You know I love how EVERYONE is miraculously from EVERYWHERE all of a sudden lol. No self respecting New Yorker would EVER compare the two in that light... I compare them using the darker side of each to say that NPR FL is not a reprive from the BS some of us found in NY, not to say that FL and NY are the same. I'm not here to say that NY is better than FL thats not the point to this thread and I'm obviously bias cause that's where i am from... but don't kid yourself... this ain't NY. Not by far.

You know what? This is really not worth my time. Everything you have said is meaningless... it doesn't change that fact that the area i "choose to live in" as you so eloquently put it, is not some isolated section of NPR. NPR as a whole is full of neighborhoods such as this one. My post was to discourage anyone from moving here and if you read other posts...both before mine and after mine, rather than spending all your time in your close minded box full of denial you perhaps glimpse a look at other opinions... and this is what this is all about... simply opinons, mines... yours.... that seem to be pointing to a majority of view. I never said all of Florida was a hole... simply that from personal experience this town is and nothing anyone can say is gonna dissuade my opinion based on what I have seen... not simply statistics.

I'm fully aware of the comparisons I have made, they are all realistic and rationale. I could go on to talk about what the future of this town is gonna be... and why... but what would that matter? I'm sure it was very nice at one time. That time has passed. Im sure some people live very happy oblivious lives here... perhaps they don't have to deal with the same things I do, but a lot of other unfortunate families may and its those families that I'm hoping to reach.

And for the record I don't "say I'm from" New York... I AM from NY. I lived in Crown Heights... president street between scenectady and troy for many years. A place that believe me you wouldn't live in if you were paid... a place most people wouldn't survive in. I attended p.s. 221, St. Agnes and later Woodward park school before it became polly prep. and then went on to a graduate school. I lived there most of my life and have only been in FL for about 6... going on 7 years. So If anyone can compare this place to the jungle I grew up In I can, sir. Every statement Ive made has been MORE than generous and I stand by everything Ive mentioned. The semantics of your rebuttal do nothing for me. Smoke and mirrors. But thank you for your 2 cents. You say your not a devout Floridian... well congrats... that at least tells me you have some potential.

I really could care less at how hilarious you find it when someone calls a spade a spade... and I wish you well in whatever life you choose to have. If you love it out here... I'm very happy for you, but you must of not seen much of NY or anywhere else for that matter, to have standards so low. Like I said... to anyone thinking of moving to New Port Richey FL... Dont. Go north... go south... I'm sure FL has much more to offer than this armpit. This ain't gangland, no... give it a few years though. There is a serious rising gang problem in this area. I should know Ive been watching some of the little so and so's grow up in the time I've been stuck here. Kids are bored... uneducated in the downtrodden neighborhoods and violent.

I'm one of the lucky ones... I managed to garnish some money during this recession to afford another move. Granted it was years later but at a point i thought we were going to be stuck here. Others may not be so lucky. If anyone thinks I'm exaggerating... and as i ALREADY mentioned... go ahead and please educate yourself. Look at other posters... look at other sites.

Cause from the looks of it you won't find an intelligent argument to the contrary here. All the best and take care.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
New Port Richey, Port Richey, New Port Richey East, Gulf Harbors, Seven Springs, etc had a population of over 50,000 back in 2000.
They are all part of the New Port Richey area but the 17,000 is only the incorporated part over 10,000 which happens to have a few of the worst neighborhoods.
oh wait, the good parts.....The Richie Rich areas are what are called the "good parts", not where the REAL people live. The "good parts" are the isolated bourgeois area. Go to most blocks in the area and you will see a real estate sign stuck in the front lawn. One that will wind up being taken down when the contract ends, and it will be replaced with another agents sign. I used to answer for numerous real estate agencies in a few counties, and a lot of them went off service because they couldnt afford to stay on, because people arent buying. The ones that did stay, saw a drastic drop in the volume of calls. People are getting the hell out of dodge as fast as they can. Of course there are nice areas, but you have to be rolling in dough to be able to afford to live in them. All in all even to live in the "real people" areas you have to be making some decent cash too. People down here thought this was NY and got all cocky asking for 200k for shacks, and they quickly found out this isnt NY and they cant ask 200k for a house down here. They are too small. A person making meager wages cannot survive down here. The poor working stiffs are getting the shaft. NPR is not just the only place that is down in the sewer.....Look at the stats about this state in other counties and cities and you will see some of them made the top 101 lists on city-data.com, and I am not talking about the good lists, I am talking about the lists and stats that people seem to be in denial of. I guess when someone has something to gain by enticing people to move to an area of course they are going to point out the finer points to an area (as few and far between as they are) and even start believing what they are selling. Check out other states like ND, MT, WY, SD, ND and even upstate NY. There might be a few bad areas, but for the most part, you dont see people who are ready to run away screaming from the areas.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:18 AM

357 posts, read 799,799 times
I recently considered a move into the NPR area....for about 10 minutes! LOL
When researching crime stats on various sites, I quickly learned that violent crimes and rape were abnormally high for the whole NPR/Port Richey/Holiday area. You couldn't pay me to live there!

Old 02-21-2010, 10:46 AM

69 posts, read 243,779 times
I'm in contract to buy a home on a canal in New Port Richey in the Sea Forest subdivision. Seems like a nice area with well maintained homes. A few years back, I couldn't touch a home on a canal for the price I'm now paying.

The HOA seems to do a good job of maintinging quality standards vs. areas close by which are outside the HOA. I don't have kids so I'm not concerned with the school system. I agree that other parts of New Port Richey seem less than desirable (especially east of 19) but I'm looking forward to my new waterfront home!

Tipsy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay