Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 14,987 times

Advertisements

Tx Transplant, have you thought about running for the school board? When does the next leg. session start? I would be glad to help in any way I can. I mean it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 10:21 AM

6 posts, read 28,896 times
Yes I have, but I don't think I would win in Rockdale. The next session start in 2009.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,464 times
Thanks for the info on Rockdale! My husband was thinking of working down there and we were going to follow him on this job- maybe I'll stay here in Borger,Tx where it is quiet and everyone is awesome !!

Old 09-22-2007, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,442 times
What other close small towns would you suggest for relocation other than Cameron or Rockdale in that general area? Am looking for something with possible acreage with house.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 28,211 times
I am senior citizen moved to Temple, TX from Houston, two(2) years ago. My wife and I love this City. It is 30 miles north of Rockdale or Milano. 40 miles south of Waco (President George Bush's farm). and 50 miles north of Austin.

I highly recommend this City to all senior citizens. This city has about 60,000 population, two huge lakes within 5 miles from the City. I go fishing year around after I joined a local fishing club. I caught fishes every trip to the lake (between 10-50 fishes in a few hours). I am not professional fishman, but I just caught too many fishes that I can not sell, but to give away to my friends in Houston. Boy!, they love the fish and they all want to move into this city when they retire.

Nearby Cities like Belton, Forthood (largest army depot with 250K populations) are all within 20 minutes drive. If you want travel further to big cities like Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, they are all with 2-2.5 hours drive.

S&W medical center provide free parking and free shuttle bus. They recently build new medical buildings to provide better services. Though I heard some comlains from a couple of fish club Veteran members on S&W services. But I am receiving pretty good services. Only you need to watch your medical bill. Especially bills from King's Daughter Hospital. Their services are the best, but the bill are also the highest if you are not covered by a medical insurance.

Well, there are a new Home Depot shopping center with Best Buy, Target stores and Macy, Sears, JC Penny and other major department stores in the only shoping mall. There are movie theathers and every kind of stores inside the mall too. Good restaurants are everywhere. but I still prefer to dine in Houston on a weekend trip. I met some retired folks from CA, and Florida. They all love this City. I think this is the best kept secret in Texas. Lakeside view is so beautiful like lake in Switzerland.

Local people do not like advertising this City. They prefer less population to keep the crime rate low. But I do not want to keep this secret to myself. because I am a CPA, I would like to have more clients. I will tell you everything, if you promise to let me take care of your tax after you move here.

By the way, the housing prices went up lately. But they are still cheap compare to other places. Average new house prices are about 100K to 200K. Lakeside properties are more expensive. But you can still get an old house for $30K, if you are a handyman.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,422 times
Default More about Rockdale

The land around Rockdale is amazing. The area between Rockdale and Milano has rolling hills, ponds, woods, backroads and is a great place to raise children and the land is cheap for central texas 3-5000 an acre. You are only an hour from several big cities with lots and lots to do. The people in Rockdale are small town jerks because it is a small town. Teach your kids to fight and they won't be the next victim of a bully. That''s true anywhere. But the land here is top notch and Rockdale and the surrounding area in Southeast Milam County sits on top of one of the biggest aquifers in the world with great ground water! And there is lots of it and you can drink it right out of the hose! I had mine tested and it beats all the top selling bottled water companies for quality. It's awesome, I love it and wouldn't live anywhere else. If you are looking for land. Thiisit.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,415 times
Default Rockdale? (Town with a frown?)

Of course Rockdale has it share of A-holes. Fourtunately for me, I can smell that kind of individual like a fart in car and you do not have to be nice towards bad or rude behavior from anyone. That also goes towards your workplace enviroment. But my rant and experience with "The Office *****" can be read on different thread. Anyway, as for the land out here in Milam and surrounding Counties? You can't beat it. It really is an undiscover part of Texas. TREES, TREES and MORE TREES! Rolling Hill that beat the West side of Austin anytime! It's easy hour drive to Austin, College Station, Temple and now with the new I30 Toll road, I made it to San Antonio in less than 2 Hours. (Wow! I never thought I'd say I'd liked toll road) As for the water, I too have the best Well Water you can drink. It's unfiltered and I could pump enough to open a water park if I wanted too. So, I guess what I'm saying is: Live outside Rockdale City Limits and things are great. I also have some the best neighbors you could ever have. But, then again, I also have great fencing.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:59 PM

6 posts, read 28,896 times
"Teach your kids to fight and they won't be the next victim of a bully."

I have to reply to this. In RISD if your child fights for any reason, including self defense they will be punished the same as the person that initiated the fight.

Also I must tell you that 84% of bullying is verbal/emotional, not physical.

Lastly, why must the victim be responsible, change the bullies behavior and there will be no victims.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:35 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,552,453 times
[editing out my jackassness after reading backwards through this thread . . . ]

tx_transplant. So sorry for your loss.

I know that returning Good for Evil is the best path, but sometimes it seems very hard.

Best to you.

===============

Real question about Rockdale.

Looking at doing about a year down there on a project -- anywhere I can get a lease available list? I looked on the Austin craigslist with Rockdale as a search, but did not see much. Anywhere else I should search? Is there an on-line newspaper with classified ads?

Last edited by Philip T; 10-26-2007 at 04:05 PM..

Old 10-26-2007, 09:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Here's a few links:

The Rockdale Reporter Online
The Cameron Herald -- Serving Milam County since 1860
Rockdale Chamber of Commerce - Rockdale Texas
milamcounty.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas